Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times

Advertisements

I go to the Terminal 2 or 3 parking garage and get the best views around. You have to pay, but its worth it. You have access to both runways, plus you can watch the pushbacks from the terminals below. The only downfall to Sky Harbor is the complete lack of variety of both aircraft and airlines. Plan on seeing all the Southwest 737 and US Airways A319's you can shake a stick at. Occasionally you might see a 757 or 767, but those are usually in the morning, and flown by FedEx and DHL. There is a British Airways 747 that flies in here, but thats in the evening, usually 5-5:30PM I believe.

Makes me miss my O'Hare spotting days. Now THAT is the airport to be to see international flights from all over the globe. LAX is also awesome for spotting, and only a 5 hour drive. Very worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 AM

7,236 posts, read 9,318,539 times
Try Falcon Field in Mesa. I think that is where the Commemorative Air Force flies WWII aircraft from. Not sure about times. Google them to see.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:28 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,453,209 times
I second the post about LAX. The In-and-out burger by the approach end to the north runways is a prime spot for plane spotting.
Another good one is San Diego - and a shorter drive with less traffic. Makes for a great summer getaway.

Also, when she gets a little older you can arrange for an intro flight for her - https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...eagles-program

Last edited by Flavia84; 04-03-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 02:01 PM

35 posts, read 36,566 times
Oh wow! Thank you a for all the information! Will absorb asap, have two more phx trips in up coming days!

No problem on assuming a boy I'm prior, and my biggest regret was being offered air traffic controller at meps! I chose supply Still kick self. Daddy long ago went to rucker to fly helicopter ? Can't remember but looked like civilian ones, anyway had sinus/medical in this 10th month. We still talk about going to school together if we didn't relocate frequently.

I love that she loves aviation and will encourage it! Poor kid gets belly flips and take offs are very hard for her but her love on flying gets her through it. Wish I knew how to add a pic, not long ago our pilot let her sit in the cockpit for a bit.

Thank you, I now remember my teenagers doing the eea flight stuff years ago near Pittsburgh with a neighbor pilot!
Forgot all about that.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2myeyeballz View Post
Oh wow! Thank you a for all the information! Will absorb asap, have two more phx trips in up coming days!

No problem on assuming a boy I'm prior, and my biggest regret was being offered air traffic controller at meps! I chose supply Still kick self. Daddy long ago went to rucker to fly helicopter ? Can't remember but looked like civilian ones, anyway had sinus/medical in this 10th month. We still talk about going to school together if we didn't relocate frequently.

I love that she loves aviation and will encourage it! Poor kid gets belly flips and take offs are very hard for her but her love on flying gets her through it. Wish I knew how to add a pic, not long ago our pilot let her sit in the cockpit for a bit.

Thank you, I now remember my teenagers doing the eea flight stuff years ago near Pittsburgh with a neighbor pilot!
Forgot all about that.
The #1 tourist activity in Colorado is the United State Air Force Academy Academy (also known as USAFA). It's in Colorado Springs. When she gets older, take her there and plant a seed in her mind. It's a world class "college" but it is brutally competitive to get accepted because you need an appointment from a national politician. Cadets (students) get paid to attend. 50% of the 4,000 student body decide to fly planes. See United States Air Force Academy - Home . It's an amazing facility.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 AM

24,364 posts, read 13,229,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The #1 tourist activity in Colorado is the United State Air Force Academy Academy (also known as USAFA). It's in Colorado Springs. When she gets older, take her there and plant a seed in her mind. It's a world class "college" but it is brutally competitive to get accepted because you need an appointment from a national politician. Cadets (students) get paid to attend. 50% of the 4,000 student body decide to fly planes. See United States Air Force Academy - Home . It's an amazing facility.
The majority of classmates in my pilot training class were from "The Zoo". Nowadays it's about the only way to get to pilot training, ROTC's pipeline has been curtailed significantly as has OTS's. (I was ROTC)

Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The majority of classmates in my pilot training class were from "The Zoo". Nowadays it's about the only way to get to pilot training, ROTC's pipeline has been curtailed significantly as has OTS's. (I was ROTC)
Every year it gets tougher and tougher to get accepted into USAFA. If you are very smart and a D1 athlete, that is a path for the coach to pull strings. If you are not a D1 caliber athlete, then you still have to be athletic (normally varsity caliber and preferably a captain) plus in the top 3-5% SAT/ACT usually is the profile. Of course you need to interview well and not be DQed for all kinds of ailments. As you know, something as simple as allergies or mild asthma will do you in. Then getting one of those coveted fighter spots is another level or brutal competition.

We have a lot of pilots and trainers here in Marley Park. Everyone I met so far are fantastic neighbors and super people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area