Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
For real? Sweet.

But from the sound of it, you prefer it cold, which is why I think its funny that you live in AZ.
Yep - for real

When I'm in a theatre - I don't mind a lower temp

I also do not mind the heat as we also spend a LOT of time outdoors - fishing, Boating etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM

371 posts, read 1,009,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
That's really all you had to say. I wonder if some of the negative posters in this thread realize how ignorant they appear.
Hey Pat...all I know is how HORRIBLY the mass produced stick/mud homes in the Phoenix area wear...there are plenty of homes in the MidWest that are 50, 60, 70, 80, etc years old and STILL look good because they were constructed mostly with stone and other long lasting materials...check out Phoenix hoods that are even as young as 10 years old and see how crappy that stucco looks.

Geesh, you are right some posters are SO ignorant.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First, this is not the midwest

Second - there are lots of reasons basements are not common here (although, in certain areas of the valley they are becoming more common)

Third - Again, block / brick is not used here for LOTS of reasons - and it is far beyond the cost issue. And while I won't go into the whole technical thing - wood tends to be, done correctly, a better insulator in our climate. Brick and concrete block is used, commonly, in non insulated areas.
LOL, you crack me up.

Basements are not common in Phoenix for ONE major reason...because they are more expensive to do (hard digs, etc. due to the parched, rock hard soil) and the whole goal of Phoenix has always been to provide cheap housing to people who can't afford a home in the states they are coming from...mainly because Phoenix's economy is based on growth due to people moving in.

'LOTS of reasons blah blah blah' in Phoenix again boils down to builders providing the cheapest housing they possibly can in the vast majority of cases.

FYI, concrete block is generally used in subfloors/basements and has insulation between it and the eventuall wall...plus exterior brick/stone covers insulated walls.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
LOL, you crack me up.

Basements are not common in Phoenix for ONE major reason...because they are more expensive to do (hard digs, etc. due to the parched, rock hard soil) and the whole goal of Phoenix has always been to provide cheap housing to people who can't afford a home in the states they are coming from...mainly because Phoenix's economy is based on growth due to people moving in.

'LOTS of reasons blah blah blah' in Phoenix again boils down to builders providing the cheapest housing they possibly can in the vast majority of cases.

FYI, concrete block is generally used in subfloors/basements and has insulation between it and the eventuall wall...plus exterior brick/stone covers insulated walls.
Well, I can tell you Bubba - we actually have had basements in Phoenix for many years - many of the older homes have them. But, I can also tell you that the demand was not here and yes, the cost factor of doing them remains a problem

I can also tell you, as a General Building Contactor of many years, insulation is one of, not the only, reason wood is so prevelant.

Sorry, you are not more familiar with the Valley and its history

Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 AM

172 posts, read 253,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Hey Pat...all I know is how HORRIBLY the mass produced stick/mud homes in the Phoenix area wear...there are plenty of homes in the MidWest that are 50, 60, 70, 80, etc years old and STILL look good because they were constructed mostly with stone and other long lasting materials...check out Phoenix hoods that are even as young as 10 years old and see how crappy that stucco looks.

Geesh, you are right some posters are SO ignorant.
There are also homes in PHX that were built 50-80 years ago that still look good. You seem to want to compare houses built in the 30's to 50's in the midwest to modern construction in the Valley, that's a dishonest and ignorant comparison. An honest comparison would be a Pulte tract house in Plainfield to a Pulte tract house in Queen Creek. Swap out the vinyl siding for some stucco and there isn't any difference.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well, I can tell you Bubba - we actually have had basements in Phoenix for many years - many of the older homes have them. But, I can also tell you that the demand was not here and yes, the cost factor of doing them remains a problem

I can also tell you, as a General Building Contactor of many years, insulation is one of, not the only, reason wood is so prevelant.

Sorry, you are not more familiar with the Valley and its history
LOL @ Bubba...I like 'tough' guy acts over the internet...

Again, I'm speaking in generalities...the VAST majority of homes in AZ do not have basements...and the MAJOR reason why is COST...end of story.

Demand was not there because of COST...because as hot as hell is Phoenix happens to be the PERFECT place for COOL basements...even a low end GC should know that.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
There are also homes in PHX that were built 50-80 years ago that still look good. You seem to want to compare houses built in the 30's to 50's in the midwest to modern construction in the Valley, that's a dishonest and ignorant comparison. An honest comparison would be a Pulte tract house in Plainfield to a Pulte tract house in Queen Creek. Swap out the vinyl siding for some stucco and there isn't any difference.
Ignorant? Because you don't understand?

I'm talking percentages, not every single case...most homes in the Chicago area were/are built to order by custom or semi custom builders...and of course there are tract home builders in the Mid-West...they are NOT NEARLY as prevalent as they are in Phoenix...Phoenix is 90+% cheap crappy stucco homes...heck, I had one and I saw how bad it looked and how much $ had to be dumped in to repair bowing/decaying external wood...cracking stucco...faded paint...etc...and the big problem is most people don't want to belly up to the bar to do the required maintenance every 3 years or so making a lot of those cookie cutter hoods look like total crap.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Hmmmm...

Stucco has traditionally been popular for a variety of reasons. It was an inexpensive material that could simulate finely dressed stonework, especially when "scored" or "lined" in the European tradition. A stucco coating over a less finished and less costly substrate such as rubblestone, fieldstone, brick, log or wood frame, gave the building the appearance of being a more expensive and important structure.

More...gee, I know what I'm talking about...

Historic stucco is inherently not a particularly permanent or long-lasting building material. Regular maintenance is required to keep it in good condition. Unfortunately, many older or historic buildings are not always accorded this kind of care.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,328,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywise65 View Post
You are so incredibly right with what you are saying. Especially about the sun being relentless and it being hot from March until November. People saying that it is only hot for four months or so is such bs. Actually the temps are only bearable for about four months, and the rest of the year is miserably hot.
I agree. The weather here is much hotter than people like to admit. I am one of those people who have quite the love/hate relationship with Phoenix. I love the state of Arizona. However, I happen to love many states for varied reasons.

My wish for Phoenix would be to have more quality things to do for kids (not babies) and teens that doesn't involve a community center or school. What I tend to lose patience with in Phoenix is that lack of consideration for families. If many other states can find things to accomodate families, why can't Phoenix? For example, the Mall of Americas has an indoor amusement park, Erie, PA has an indoor water park.

Phoenix has one science museum, but where are the quality historical museums (that has world history, not just native american history) where are the large art museums, not just owner operated galleries in Scottsdale, how about an aquarium, and where are the outdoor festivals (not just the fair as has been discussed, it is not always "friendly" but rather dangerous) where are the lawn fetes?
Hell, I can't even find a church that has bingo! We have a few things going on like the Barrett-Jackson or the FBR, but really, how many "familes" go to those?

Phoenix has no excuse for it's lack of activities. It's a large and thriving (or at least was) city that has all the infrastructure in place to be the utopia people say it is. I feel that the severe lack of community comes from the fact that places DON'T have things like, lawn fetes (which are common for Catholic churches throughout the United States) festivals (i.e. Italian, Polish, Food, Peace, etc.). I have no idea why that it, it just is, Phoenix just doesn't have those types of things going on. You know, the cheap, community activities that are NOT school oriented!
We have the Scottsdale, Tempe and Fountain Hills art festivals - which are all the same except in different locations.
If you don't have kids in school, many people find it very difficult to find friends.
I feel Phoenix lacks too much to be a nice place to raise a family.

I won't even get into the weather or the rotten schools.

It's as if the city is so concerned about what it looks like that it hasn't given any thought to what families really need or want. It's so strange, it's as if the city looks like a brand new egg on the outside, but if you crack it open, it's spoiled in the inside.

It's hard to explain, it's really pretty here in some sections, but it's as if no one really exists here....it's all about the house....

I know, this was very long winded, it's just my opinion based on my experiences.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 01-17-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
IHell, I can't even find a church that has bingo!
Then, in all honesty, you have not looked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area