Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,321,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Phoenix has no excuse for it's lack of activities.
Lack of activities? You have got to be kidding???????????????????

Let me give you a suggestion - pick up a copy of this weeks New Times paper - its free. There is a list of all the ACTIVITIES, put on by various organizations, all over the valley!

Check out the news outlets - they make available a "community bulletin board" for all the activities

Again, you have not looked.

THEN, you can kick it up with the organized youth sports programs in the valley - and then the school sports programs.

THEN, there are the concerts, and plays - community playhouses - ALL OVER THE VALLEY

THEN, there are the PROFESSIONAL venues - sports (including motor racing and every other pro sport there is) and entertainment venues including Broadway shows, Symphonies etc

THEN, there are the Art museums all over the valley incuding the new Phoenix Art museum, the new Tempe Center for the Arts, the new Arts Center in Glendale, Mesa etc

Again, you have not looked -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,330,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Lack of activities? You have got to be kidding???????????????????

Let me give you a suggestion - pick up a copy of this weeks New Times paper - its free. There is a list of all the ACTIVITIES, put on by various organizations, all over the valley!

Check out the news outlets - they make available a "community bulletin board" for all the activities

Again, you have not looked.

THEN, you can kick it up with the organized youth sports programs in the valley - and then the school sports programs.

THEN, there are the concerts, and plays - community playhouses - ALL OVER THE VALLEY

THEN, there are the PROFESSIONAL venues - sports (including motor racing and every other pro sport there is) and entertainment venues including Broadway shows, Symphonies etc

THEN, there are the Art museums all over the valley incuding the new Phoenix Art museum, the new Tempe Center for the Arts, the new Arts Center in Glendale, Mesa etc

Again, you have not looked -

Hey, I've lived here most of my life.... Moderator cut: rude comment I said FAMILY/COMMUNITY activities -- NOT involving a school or community center geared toward FAMILIES - not just the single guy.

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned I've lived here most of my life....
Hey, I've lived her all my life!!!! And, I know I'm much older than you

My contention stands: You have not look for the myrid of activities there are in the Valley

If you read my post - I noted FAMILY COMMUNITY activities

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-17-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Hey, I've lived her all my life!!!!

My contention stands: You have not look for the myrid of activities there are in the Valley
TEN to one says you have no family of your own...

Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,501,618 times
I think what he/she is saying is that family activities are quite small, considering how huge the area is. Smaller cities such as Boston, Minneapolis, etc, have alot more to do, and you can actually walk in between places. I think THATS what he/she meant. Am I correct?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
TEN to one says you have no family of your own...
You are on -

Let's see - 2 kids, 4 grandchildren, 1 Greatgrandchild, 2 Foster kids -

You lose

Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 PM

788 posts, read 2,113,345 times
Quote:
Hey, I've lived her all my life!!!! And, I know I'm much older than you

If you read my post - I noted FAMILY COMMUNITY activities
I'm with you. I'm always flabbergasted when people say there's nothing to do here. It all really boils down to people wanting life to come to their doorstep, rather than going out and looking for it. I'm 31, so I like all kinds of activities, the crazier stuff, and the more laid back stuff, and sometimes, there's so much to do that I have to choose, and I am actually sad that I can't do everything. I also don't mind driving to go to the west side to visit the Wildlife World Zoo, or to go hiking in the mountains, or to take a day trip somewhere (such as one of the many ghost/old mining towns in AZ). I think some people expect there to be a museum, an amusement park, a bingo hall, a community center on every block. I think that's an unrealistic expectation anywhere. We have plenty of cultural activities here, but a person has to do a minimal amount of research and step outside of their comfort zone to participate.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I'm with you. We have plenty of cultural activities here, but a person has to do a minimal amount of research and step outside of their comfort zone to participate.
Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I'm with you. I'm always flabbergasted when people say there's nothing to do here. It all really boils down to people wanting life to come to their doorstep, rather than going out and looking for it. I'm 31, so I like all kinds of activities, the crazier stuff, and the more laid back stuff, and sometimes, there's so much to do that I have to choose, and I am actually sad that I can't do everything. I also don't mind driving to go to the west side to visit the Wildlife World Zoo, or to go hiking in the mountains, or to take a day trip somewhere (such as one of the many ghost/old mining towns in AZ). I think some people expect there to be a museum, an amusement park, a bingo hall, a community center on every block. I think that's an unrealistic expectation anywhere. We have plenty of cultural activities here, but a person has to do a minimal amount of research and step outside of their comfort zone to participate.
No, I DON'T expect an amusement park on every corner. For your information, I've very active in my community. If there is a committee, I'm on it and if I'm on it, I'm usually running it! I never used the word "cultural" and I never said there wasn't anything to do. But, as is typical for this forum, let's ignore what the person just said and scream & yell that this person has no idea what they are talking about.
You couldn't be more wrong....

Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,934 times
This thread needs to cool down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area