Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 46,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
This thread needs to cool down.
Yes, I think so. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
No, I DON'T expect an amusement park on every corner. For your information, I've very active in my community. If there is a committee, I'm on it and if I'm on it, I'm usually running it! I never used the word "cultural" and I never said there wasn't anything to do. But, as is typical for this forum, let's ignore what the person just said and scream & yell that this person has no idea what they are talking about.
You couldn't be more wrong....
I don't think that I was screaming or yelling. In fact, your use of all caps for certain words implies yelling on your part. Anyway, here is what you said:
"Originally Posted by londonbarcelona
Phoenix has no excuse for it's lack of activities."

What confuses me is that you say in one post that there is a lack of activities, and in another post, that you are active in your community. You also state: "I never said there wasn't anything to do", yet you still assert that Phoenix lacks for activities (ie: things to do). You are contradicting yourself.

The only reason that I continuously defend in this forum against people such as yourself who have nothing but negative things to say about Phoenix and its residents is that I know that there are people who read this forum, perhaps looking for an objective sense of what Phoenix is like. I don't want them to only read negative posts, since I don't believe that Phoenix is as bad as some people say it is. I think that many negative posts are exaggerations of a reality that exists everywhere, not just in Phoenix, and to give people the impression that Phoenix is a hellhole would be false information. So, I defend, but I'm not irate nor am I yelling at you.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I don't think that I was screaming or yelling. In fact, your use of all caps for certain words implies yelling on your part. Anyway, here is what you said:

What confuses me is that you say in one post that there is a lack of activities, and in another post, that you are active in your community. You also state: "I never said there wasn't anything to do", yet you still assert that Phoenix lacks for activities (ie: things to do). You are contradicting yourself.

The only reason that I continuously defend in this forum against people such as yourself who have nothing but negative things to say about Phoenix and its residents is that I know that there are people who read this forum, perhaps looking for an objective sense of what Phoenix is like. I don't want them to only read negative posts, since I don't believe that Phoenix is as bad as some people say it is. I think that many negative posts are exaggerations of a reality that exists everywhere, not just in Phoenix, and to give people the impression that Phoenix is a hellhole would be false information. So, I defend, but I'm not irate nor am I yelling at you.
I agree because I need a good and a bad perspective on things. So i've heard multiple people say not just londonbarcelona that Phoenix has no urban life-what are they doing to improve that? Do you have to drive a long way to hike?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I moved here from Cleveland. I love it! You dont have to shovel sunshine! Yes, the Valley really sees SUN (that would be the big yellow bright thing in the sky lol!) on most days. Unheard of in Ohio.

Last year was unusual with that many 110' days-it set a record. was 115' in the parking lot day I arrived. Anyhow, the "average" for Phoenix in June/July/August is 102'-104'. Which are definitely nice when not hugely high humidity. Up to 105' when low humidity is absolutely fine. It is above that just gets hot. We were also out here a few weeks in July and I dont believe it even broke 100 any of the days we were here, tho it was a bit more humid (but definitely NOT as humid as Cleveland).

Summer:
Cleveland: about 90' with 95% humidity=YUCK! Instant sweat factory, total discomfort, hard to breathe, unbearable. I remember Cleveland's record was like 102' or 104' when my son was an infant right ahead of some huge tropical storm that freakily made it up our way. Try 102' with 99% humidity. It was literally like opening a sauna to open the doors.
Phoenix: about 105' with far less humidity=Nice! No instant sweat thing. You can actually breathe. And your hairstayle stays put. ;-)

Winter:
Cleveland: Lucky to make it into double digit temps. Windy. Humid. Cloudy and dreary. SNOW, ICE, SLUSH.
Phoenix: Mid 60's ish. Sunshine. Eating Thanksgiving dinner outdoors. About 70' on New Years.

No I wouldnt do strenuous outdoor activities when it is north of 100'. You see lots and lots of joggers and bicyclists for example out at like 4 am or 8 pm.

Once thing in winter in Phoenix: It may be near 70' in the day. But the minute the sun goes down, the temperature seems to drop quickly. Lows have mostly been in the 40's, 50's. I think occasionally touching the high 30's. But then by about 11am the next day, 70' again. I think my furnace kicks on average of only once or twice a day for a few minutes. It didnt kick on the first time until December 1 lol! In Cleveland my furnace was already running at night when I left in September. A light jacket or sweatshirt will get you by all winter. I dont even own anything anyone from the midwest would consider a "winter" coat. Come to think of it, I only own 1 pair of closed toe shoes-you can wear open-toed shoes basically all year.

The next few weeks are a lot of the big outdoor events in Phoenix to give you an idea, the kind of things you would never ever do outdoors in January or February in the midwest. Barrett Jackson (car show), FBR (big golf open).

About the sun: It is sunny MOST days. I think I read on average 330 days of the year. And because in the Valley the terrain isnt really hilly and there arent zillions of high rises or huge shade trees in most places, it is a huge huge sky of big bright sun. Gorgeous. However....that sun does beat on you. I took a walk one day. It was about 80'. Totally perfect temperature wise. But the sun just constantly beating down with nothing to break it was a little odd and disorienting and will take some getting used to.

Entire list of bugs I have seen since I arrived, not exactly the big scary hairy kind:
A few household spiders (same kind you get in the midwest)
1 tiny like 2 inch long lizard sitting on a rock
A few crickets

Another observation: In the midwest, everything basically is brown and dead from about September until end of May. Here, you dont see that. Was sort of freaky to realize it is mid-January and I look out my window and see a green tree!

About rain. I think Phoenix gets on average 7 inches precipitation a year. Cleveland by comparison about 50 inches. And when it rains when it is 105', that rain pretty quickly dries up. Other than spotty type rain, there has only been 1 or 2 days I think since I have been here that really counted as "rainy". However, because there isnt a lot of precipitation, there arent really storm drains in the streets either. Just washes and gullys and rock beds designed to accumulate and absorb water. So the few days it really does rain worth mentioning, the entire city becomes a swimming pool in lower lying areas: like parking lots, intersections, driveways... So be careful. (I also understand they have a Stupid Motorist Law that if you are dumb enough to drive into a flooded area and get stuck, you WILL pay the cost of whatever it takes to fish you out.....)
Ty, very informative!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post

Well, you must be fairly new, however I have read some of your posts. That said, I suppose I do sound like I'm contridicting myself because I most definately have a LOVE/HATE relationship with Phoenix. I prefer Scottsdale, and like other areas of Arizona up north, but no, I'm not really crazy about the city of Phoenix.

As far as "nothing" to do, I have said time and again - for families. It drives me nuts that there is little consideration for anyone remotely youthful.

And yes, I am active in my community. I suppose because I am so active (as my children always have been) I feel that I am allowed to complain a bit. I am a firm believer in letting someone complain who is actively trying to change things. I have friends on the school board and the town council, I work the elections and I am an elected officer in my HOA. I also run several other activities that involve my children.

And you totally took my commnet out of context. Becuase when I said (and still stand by what I said) that Phoenix has no excuse for its lack of activities I meant it. Phoenix is a thriving city with millions of people in it. However, little consideration is given to family activities other than in a school setting.

*sigh* Nevermind...

Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM

259 posts, read 823,503 times
Well thanks for posting the thread HelloWorld. I am also from MI and considering the move. Just looking for a change and to get out of the winter (zero temps coming this weekend), and might as well try it while Im 20 and have no ties. Also considering the Carolina's, but have been looking a lot at the Phoenix area, just hard to make a choice w/o actually going there as everyone has their opinion. Guess I need to just go there, lol.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
Well thanks for posting the thread HelloWorld. I am also from MI and considering the move. Just looking for a change and to get out of the winter (zero temps coming this weekend), and might as well try it while Im 20 and have no ties. Also considering the Carolina's, but have been looking a lot at the Phoenix area, just hard to make a choice w/o actually going there as everyone has their opinion. Guess I need to just go there, lol.
exactly! thats what i'm talking about!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld! View Post
Do you have to drive a long way to hike?
I don't have to drive any distance to start hiking in the mountains

Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
You're 20? I'd say jump. Phoenix is a perfect place for a young kid to start anew. If you like heat, and don't need water features, I'd say go for it. There's plenty for young ADULTS to do! lol

Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
. Becuase when I said (and still stand by what I said) that Phoenix has no excuse for its lack of activities I meant it. Phoenix is a thriving city with millions of people in it. However, little consideration is given to family activities other than in a school setting.

And this is the area many of us take exception to and disagree with you on -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area