Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times

Advertisements

Do families live in these places? It would be convenient working downtown to not have a commute, not to mention being free from the ties of a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,509,119 times
Most families prefer the suburban areas because children and pets like to play in grassy yards, parks, and playgrounds.

Services we take for granted including supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, home improvement stores, and shopping malls are more readily available in a suburb versus an inner city area.

Most people prefer to drive their own cars too, it's kind of a burden to have a car if you live in a condominium tower and work in an office tower with the parking hassles and all.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Most families prefer the suburban areas because children and pets like to play in grassy yards, parks, and playgrounds.

Services we take for granted including supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, home improvement stores, and shopping malls are more readily available in a suburb versus an inner city area.

Most people prefer to drive their own cars too, it's kind of a burden to have a car if you live in a condominium tower and work in an office tower with the parking hassles and all.
I see your point. My kids are unique to this, they don't do the outdoor things as much they spend most of their time nerding out on the computer. The yard has been a big waste of $$$$.

But, yes, I guess most kids would love suburban life more.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 AM

837 posts, read 2,337,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
Currently with rent, tax, and my reserved parking space $1300. I also have the smallest/cheapest studio. Just shy of 600 sqft. This building is RIDICULOUSLY efficient when it comes to the air system though. I occupied my place in November. My highest electric bill to date has been a whopping $13, my water bill usually exceeds that.

I've lived all over Phoenix the past 11 years and to me it typically balances out. (I rarely touch my car keys except for work) You pay a higher price for location but it comes with convenience. You pay less the farther out you are, but make up for it in driving costs.

They look really nice from the website. I inquired about rates and, unfortunately, the price range for the size I need is a bit out of my comfort zone. I more than likely will return to the Executive Towers. Sad part is, I have to get rid of my dog

Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
They look really nice from the website. I inquired about rates and, unfortunately, the price range for the size I need is a bit out of my comfort zone. I more than likely will return to the Executive Towers. Sad part is, I have to get rid of my dog
Holy hell. Why do you HAVE to get rid of your dog?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:31 AM

837 posts, read 2,337,604 times
Oh jeez, before I get PETA called on me, lol. Let me clarify that I will have to return her to the rescue organization that I've been fostering for.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Oh jeez, before I get PETA called on me, lol. Let me clarify that I will have to return her to the rescue organization that I've been fostering for.
You put it out there so I was just asking why. There are plenty of dog friendly rentals out there.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,509,119 times
Quote:
It would still be a shame to give up your dog though.

Don't most condominium buildings allow pets?

Most dogs would fit pretty well in a place like that, except maybe a giant breed like a Saint Bernard or an active breed that needs a big yard to run and play in.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
I've lived all over Phoenix the past 11 years and to me it typically balances out. (I rarely touch my car keys except for work) You pay a higher price for location but it comes with convenience. You pay less the farther out you are, but make up for it in driving costs.
This is one reason why living in a more centralized location has become more desirable in recent years. People are simply tired of the long commutes & the traffic. Yes, suburban living has its perks, and many people still prefer it, which is fine for them. Many people who choose to live in a distant suburban area think they're getting away with cheaper prices on homes, but they are actually spending so much on gas & vehicle maintenance that it really doesn't save them anything in the long run. Plus, their utilities are often costlier. Living in a highrise condo might be more expensive as far as cost per unit and the parking fees, but you're absolutely right that you save much more in the long run on things like car expenses and utility bills.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM

25 posts, read 30,074 times
Spot on ValleyNative!

I do enjoy living downtown, but I recently was in a spot to purchase my first home so I have chosen to do so. Just waiting on the owners to fix a few things and the appraisal to come through (crossing my fingers!!)

I'm pretty sure I gave myself a happy medium. It's a townhouse near Scottsdale and the 202. Since I travel a lot for work staying close to the airport was important. But the balance to the "city" side of this area, is Tempe Town Lake and Papago Park close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area