Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:03 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Its a well known fact that Bell road is the busiest street in Phoenix. Do you think it would be wise for the city to build a standalone light rail from Tatum to 156th ave? I mean it covers Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Glendale, Sun City, and Suprise. What do you think?
First of all, I wasn't aware that Bell was Phoenix's busiest street ... seems like there would be others that are just as busy (if not more so). Even so, it wouldn't make any sense to put a stand alone light rail system on Bell. It's not centrally located enough, and there would be no other connections to it. Not only that, but think of all the mess it would create during construction. If the traffic on Bell Road is heavy now, think of what it would be like once they start tearing it up for light rail construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Anything is possible but five years seems absurd. Reminds me of when I was a kid and was told we would have flying cars by 1980.
Or by 2015 (as in the second "Back to the Future" movie). No flying cars to be found anywhere, and no plans to make them possible. They won't be possible with all the restricted air space ... and besides, you'd need a pilot's license to have a flying car, which is more difficult to obtain than a drivers license, and much more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,656,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
First of all, I wasn't aware that Bell was Phoenix's busiest street ... seems like there would be others that are just as busy (if not more so). Even so, it wouldn't make any sense to put a stand alone light rail system on Bell. It's not centrally located enough, and there would be no other connections to it. Not only that, but think of all the mess it would create during construction. If the traffic on Bell Road is heavy now, think of what it would be like once they start tearing it up for light rail construction.e.
Here you go;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Road_(Phoenix_Metro)

Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
Even if it is the busiest (and I don't use Wiki as an official source for anything), for all the reasons stated in this thread, it doesn't make sense.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,656,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Even if it is the busiest (and I don't use Wiki as an official source for anything), for all the reasons stated in this thread, it doesn't make sense.
Do you actually drive on Bell road? Have you ever even been on Bell rd?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 PM

570 posts, read 1,004,896 times
Quote:
I've been on Bell enough to think it's worse in Surprise and the Sun Cities than in Phoenix. At least in Phoenix there are more alternatives (Greenway, Union Hills, Loop 101, etc).

As far as Scottsdale goes, this is an old story on the current park-and-ride lot on Scottsdale and Thunderbird:

http://www.kpho.com/story/25734566/s...with-no-riders

Old 04-21-2015, 06:27 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
I certainly do. There have been periods when I drove it on a daily basis. It is a busy road, and I can accept that it is the "busiest"-- in no small part due to how busy it is on the weekends, in addition to the other days. But, for various reasons well stated by many on this thread, light rail on that stretch, or any stretch, of Bell Road just to deal with the traffic on that road does not make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area