Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM

34 posts, read 130,210 times

Advertisements

I moved here with no job with my wife. They'll only consider you if you're local - unless you have really hot in demand skills and they'll consider relocating you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM

72 posts, read 225,817 times
The challenge you will run into is in today's economy companies are unwilling to relocate people that far of a distance because of cost. Make sure you let potential employers know that you are willing to relocate on your own dime. Also, with a position in Arizona more than likely everyone you need to interview with will be in Arizona. As someone mentioned previously it is probably best to move here first and then apply for jobs. Very few employers will fly you cross country for face to face interviews.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM

149 posts, read 455,009 times
One of the things I did when I was serious about moving (even though I chickened out in the end) was geta cell phone number in the local area code. I had my home phone and my interview phone. The interview phone only has to have enough minutes for that purpose.

Along the same lines find a friend in the area wher eyou can 'borrow' an address or worst case scenario get a PO Box (without a Box ID, perferably).

This will make you look local. This only works if you're willing to pay to move yourself.

As I mentioned I chickened out after I couldn't find anywhere I could make 10% more than what I'm getting now and absor the cost of living change. However, I did get MUCH more contact that way than by displaying my out of town status.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
I have faced the same problem. Finanlly changed my address to my parents address in Surprise. Also picked up a new cell phone with a Phoenix area number. Found out that you can request a cell number from anywhere in the nation. I chose a 480 area code and use that now.

Another thing that I have just started doing is to apply for a minumum of 10 jobs a day. Also have a schedule to make follow up calls with the companies that I have sent my resume and information to. Communicating is the biggest thing. Hopefully I will be able to let everyone in this forum know that I have successfully found a job.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 25,875 times
My wife and I were thinking that scenario. I would come first look and hopefully land something quick start working and slowly move my wife and son down there. The problem with that is I generate the main income. So being without that would kill us financially.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 13,927 times
Have you tried a different profession just to get your foot in the door to get here. The AZ dept. of corrections is hiring.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay714 View Post
Have you tried a different profession just to get your foot in the door to get here. The AZ dept. of corrections is hiring.
Do they pay $60,000 a year?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM

186 posts, read 570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyRD76 View Post
Hi everyone! Finally registered after reading many of the posts here. My wife and I want to move there from NJ as it is just to expensive for a young family to survive. We have a 3 yr old by the way, I have sent out tons of resumes in all the industries I have experience in and for every 10 I send out, I maybe get one response, usually saying they want someone local. I have even tried using a headhunter, but they never get back to me either.

I know there are jobs out there as I know the IT and Hospitality industries are popular there. Am I approaching the job hunt wrong, do I need to call directly to companies, Its really frustrating. If anyone hsa insight on this it would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I relocated across the country less than two years ago. I REALLY wanted to move so in my cover letter I made it sound like I was already on my way and that I wanted to see if we could set something up upon my next visit. Out of the 5 resumes I sent, I got a response from 4 of them. I also placed a phone call about 7-10 days after I sent it to follow up. Make sure you are sending directly to a person if you can.

After accepting a job offer, they even paid for my move. They did not offer to pay but I asked and they said yes. Good luck on your move to Phoenix. My relocation was actually out of Phoenix to the East.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM

44,660 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Based on what I've read here, unless you have a one of a kind occupation, or a highly skilled super demanding occupation, you're up against 100's of local residents looking for the same type of work. There have been a lot of layoffs over the past year, especially in high tech jobs.
The question then would be; if you're an employer, which would you hire, a qualified established local, or take a chance on an outsider?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Hi, BoyRD76 -

I'm moving in March to Phoenix from Philadelphia and was able to get a job in Phoenix while still in Philly. My daughter & her family live in Phoenix and we would go out there at least twice a year. But last year, hubby & I (& cats) decided to pack up, say goodbye to cheesesteaks, snow blowers/shovels, high heating bills & head out west.

You need to at least make one trip out to Phoenix (or wherever you plan to settle) for a few days and let employers know this in your cover letter. You can then line up a few interviews during this time. I know it's taking a chance but nothing ventured, nothing gained. This way it shows employers that you are truly serious about relocating. I did this last summer (2007) and it paid off. I sent out about 40 resumes in August and let employers know I would be in Phoenix in October and would like to schedule interviews. Five employers responded and I had interviews with them while I was out there. I followed up with all of them after I got back to Philly, and at the beginning of January, I was offered a job which of course I accepted! The job starts in April, which gives us time to pack & move; & I'll be making $3000.00 less per year. I expected this since the cost of living is less in AZ compared to the east coast, so naturally the same position pays a little less there. You need to make a few sacrifices but in the end it will all be worth it.

Hope this advice helps! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area