Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:18 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The construction process certainly does, but I don't see a huge issue once it's built. It restricts turns in some areas, and gets a little complicated on the one way streets downtown, but otherwise I don't see it as taking away traffic lanes.
Actually, it does reduce the number of traffic lanes. Central Avenue prior to light rail was three lanes in each direction with a concrete median. The median was removed when construction began, and the center of the street needed to be wide enough for a two way track ... therefore, the number of lanes on Central Avenue (and Camelback, and 19th Avenue for that matter) are now only two in each direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
So I asked Valley Metro if they have thought about what to call future light rail lines and spurs off of the original line and here is their response:

Valley Metro is definitely considering nomenclature of the different lines and will make a recommendation to the Valley Metro Rail Board at a future date.

I figured it would be something vague, since it is years down the road until that first "spur" opens.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:34 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So I asked Valley Metro if they have thought about what to call future light rail lines and spurs off of the original line and here is their response:

Valley Metro is definitely considering nomenclature of the different lines and will make a recommendation to the Valley Metro Rail Board at a future date.

I figured it would be something vague, since it is years down the road until that first "spur" opens.
I'm not surprised they're giving you vague answers. Even after the big tax increase that was approved by the voters last year to spark additional light rail development, the city somehow can't get their act together & manage the money well enough. As a result, they're delaying light rail extension unless they can get their hands on more of our money ... just like what has happened with ADOT & the freeways. These are good examples of what happens when we let the government run & manage these things.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:49 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,351,522 times
Quote:

Again, I still expect it will be colors, with the first two lines most likely being Red and Blue. I don't think they would go straight to letters or numbers, since colors are used by the majority of transit systems unless there are too many lines to represent with colors. However, it remains to be seen if the Tempe Streetcar would be considered part of the system or entirely separate. In my dream system, the Tempe Streetcar would be the Green Line, since I associate the City of Tempe with the color green due to all the trees and the city's environmental actions.

As a side note, as an interesting detail that I wanted to share, if anyone remembers, I have my Chandler/Williams Field/Power light rail line idea serving Ahwatukee, Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa as the Pink Line. In addition to the reason I have mentioned in past threads that I assigned that particular line the color pink, coincidentally, Valley Metro Route 156 serving Chandler Blvd/Williams Field is shown in pink on official Valley Metro maps, so in a way it makes sense for the rail line serving Chandler Blvd/Williams Field to be the Pink Line.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:52 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Again, I still expect it will be colors, with the first two lines most likely being Red and Blue. I don't think they would go straight to letters or numbers, since colors are used by the majority of transit systems unless there are too many lines to represent with colors. However, it remains to be seen if the Tempe Streetcar would be considered part of the system or entirely separate. In my dream system, the Tempe Streetcar would be the Green Line, since I associate the City of Tempe with the color green due to all the trees and the city's environmental actions.

As a side note, as an interesting detail that I wanted to share, if anyone remembers, I have my Chandler/Williams Field/Power light rail line idea serving Ahwatukee, Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa as the Pink Line. In addition to the reason I have mentioned in past threads that I assigned that particular line the color pink, coincidentally, Valley Metro Route 156 serving Chandler Blvd/Williams Field is shown in pink on official Valley Metro maps, so in a way it makes sense for the rail line serving Chandler Blvd/Williams Field to be the Pink Line.
Do you know when the Tempe streetcar will ever get underway?

I remember reading something back in 2012 about construction scheduled to begin in 2014 and service beginning in 2016.

Here it is 2016 and nothing has happened, not even any groundbreaking.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Do you know when the Tempe streetcar will ever get underway?
Supposedly construction will be 2017-2019, with a 2019 opening (not sure when).

Tempe Streetcar

Similar construction to the light rail, where all of the utilities will be moved/relocated from where the tracks will be laid, the only difference with the streetcar, no dedicated ROW, just sharing a lane of traffic with the cars.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
Quote:
Supposedly construction will be 2017-2019, with a 2019 opening (not sure when).

Tempe Streetcar

Similar construction to the light rail, where all of the utilities will be moved/relocated from where the tracks will be laid, the only difference with the streetcar, no dedicated ROW, just sharing a lane of traffic with the cars.
I wonder if those dates are definite.

The article I saw in 2012 gave 2014 for work to start and 2016 for service to start.
Initial streetcar work begins Monday in Tempe - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I wonder if those dates are definite.

The article I saw in 2012 gave 2014 for work to start and 2016 for service to start.
Initial streetcar work begins Monday in Tempe - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

Here's some info. Providing Public Transportation Alternatives for the Greater Phoenix Metro Area | Valley Metro | Project Detail

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,877,517 times
Needs to go all the way to Bell Rd. IMO, or at least up to Kierland.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:26 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,351,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Needs to go all the way to Bell Rd. IMO, or at least up to Kierland.
That is exactly what my Brown Line idea would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area