Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,286 times

Advertisements

We are a gay couple in our 30's who are moving to Phoenix this fall for a new job promotion and we have no concept of where to live within the area. Both of us will be making pretty good money in our jobs so we can afford something nice, however, we do not want to overspend on renting so we can save some money to buy a house down the road. We would like to live in a safe area of town but are pretty open to suggestions. Living in an area with good restaurants and in parts of town that have people within our age group is important as well. Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Where will you be working? (what area specifically)

Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,286 times
Work will be at the Good Samaritan hospital in Phoenix

Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
The historic neighborhoods north of downtown have a fairly large number of LGBT folks, that would be about a 12 minute commute. The Melrose area (around 7th Ave, between Indian School and Camelback) is another place that is often referred to as a "gayborhood". Both areas are adjacent to restaurants, etc. (the historic neighborhoods a little more) and have diverse populations of young professionals, empty nesters, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
The standard answer is that you should live within what is a reasonable commute to work for you. The metro area is HUGE. Knowing now where you will be working, and depending on budget, you should get some good suggestions from people here.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Based on where you're working and where you'll most likely feel most at home I can't recommend downtown Phoenix enough. It's a unique, arts focused, area that is growing at a fast, albeit annoying to some, pace. New eateries seeming to be opening up weekly and I personally can't get enough of visiting down there. As close to roughly 3rd Street and Roosevelt area you can get on your particular budget the happier I would guess you'll be. I am of course assuming you two would prefer a somewhat walk-able or more appropriately a bike-able area. The First Friday art walks will be sure to keep your culture side filled and the various performing arts venues, sports arenas, and burgeoning dining/night life scene shouldn't leave you with many bored nights. If I was buying all over again I'd look to the downtown Phoenix area. Getting to Good Sam would be close enough to bike or possibly walk, but even if driving it'd be a short hop.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Yup, Melrose, Roosevelt Row...depending on what you want as a living situation (condo, SFH, apartment, etc.) and how long of a commute you would like. Downtown is being hyped quite a bit lately but I still think Old Town Scottsdale is the place to be in your 30s. The "gay couple" moniker really doesn't limit you to a specific neighborhood...just depends on what you want as far as neighborhood amenities.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
as it seems you already know, do rent for a few months so you can get your bearings and orientation about the city, neighborhoods, vibes of areas......as suggested, I'd stay in central Phx N of downtown.....Scottsdale is all that, but not worth a somewhat-tedious commute into central Phx.....

many areas in the historic neighborhoods are already discovered and getting pricey, so be ready for that.....but I think it has nowhere to go but to continue up....

Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
It really depends on the vibe you are looking for. Restaurants are all over the place around here. I'd rent for a year and feel the area out. I have lived in a number of different parts of the valley, and the vibe in each is different. You'll get a lot of good recommendations, but it's something you have to decide for yourself, because Phoenix and suburbs are so large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area