Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times

Advertisements

Ok, I hope this is the right thread for this..

so, the plan is to move to the North Phoenix/anthem/cave creek/peoria area, and am really stoked about saying bye bye to the horrific fall/winter/spring in chi-raq..

Anyways, probably my biggest concern, outside of what to do with all my polar clothes, snow plow, and stand alone heaters, is where am I gonna get Chicago style pizza/hot dogs/Chinese food from...

Isn't Arizona about 25% Illinois Transplants??? Please tell me there are some really good Pizza/Chinese restaurants in the area...I believe you guys have some Portillios out here, so the hot dog/beef problem is solved, but what about the other stuff?

I dont care if I have to drive 20 miles or so to get it, just hoping some folks can chime in with suggestions..

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM

445 posts, read 515,357 times
As a Chicago transplant, I'll tell you that options for good deep dish/stuffed pizza out here are limited. They do have many Rosati's locations out here, which is a Chicago chain and does a respectable, but not great stuffed pizza. Oregano's does a stuffed pizza as well but I'm not really into it. Both places pale in comparison to Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, or even my favorite old neighborhood spot Freddie's.

I'm up for suggestions from anyone else on this board who has places that I'm not aware of.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:10 PM

thats what I was afraid of..
I guess once a month, I might have to pay the big bucks and have a Lou's pizza shipped out there..

https://www.tastesofchicago.com/

Is there at least Home Run Inn Frozen pizza at the grocery chains?
Or frozen Gino's East?

In a pinch, those would be an acceptable substitute..

Since the Rosatis are all independently owned, its hit or miss on whether you get a decent one or not..

Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
AZ is about 7% ex-IL transplants, according to what Ive seen. The vast majority of transplants from here are from CA, with IL and NY tied for second. Needless to say there are LOTS of ex-Chicagoans looking to escape the crime, high taxes, high COL, corruption, and even winter weather. There are a few Rosati locations in the area, which are blah, just like in Chicago (never was a fan). There are two Portillos in the Valley, the closest would be off the 101 and Shea in Scottsdale. Its a nice little slice of home. As for pizza in Phoenix, its horrible. I wont lie. It leaves A LOT to be desired. Our personal favorite is Grimaldi's, which ironically is more NY-based, but with fresh ingredients, a cracker crust, and oven-baked.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Yep, those are all the reasons we are leaving here as well..

yeah, I'm no fan of Rosatis either, but I'm spoiled since I still live here..

How's the Chinese/Cantonese choices?
Better than the pizza, or just as bad?

thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
The best Chicago Style Pizza is Spinatos. Several locations around the valley sorry none near Anthem, closest one is 16th St & Bell Rd. Like most Chicago pizzerias, they really pile the toppings on, good value.

Barros in Anthem at Daisy Mountain & Anthem Way is about as close as you get in Anthem, but they seem to have lost something in the translation from Chicago to Phoenix.

Hot Dogs and Italian Beef are the real challenge. Many places claim to have Chicago dogs, but most do not have poppy seed buns, sport peppers or the right seasoning and the fries are not greasy enough. The same goes for Italian Beef. Your only real option is Portillo's at the 101 & Shea (in Tempe also). You just have to decide to drive a little.

There are a host of "close, but no cigar" places that might satisfy you. For dogs, Joey's of Chicago at 19th Ave and Deer Valley (just off the I-17) is passable if you have an itch to scratch. Oregano's Pizza has the correct taste, crust is very thin ( I like just a little thicker), but lately they have really gotten cheap with the toppings. I wind up ordering double everything which gets real expensive fast.

Plenty of good Mexican food places though.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
I was never a fan of Chicago style pizza but I have a friend from Chicago that swears by Oregano's Pizza, so there's a differing view to the post above. They are a local chain and may have one near you. Spinato's like JoeD said is another option, they win lots of awards but I have never tried it. I really like Nello's so if you are ever in Tempe check them out, I still remember running into Pat Tillman there with his family after an ASU football game in the 1990's which was a cool experience, great pizza but it takes awhile. Also maybe check the Wrigleyville West area in Mesa for something.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Also regarding hot dogs, you are aware that Portillo's is in town right? For most of the food you are asking about, Tempe would have the best choices unfortunately, they have Teds Hot Dogs and Detroit Coneys at one intersection and Portillos down the road a couple miles. Best Chinese food is in Tempe/Chandler but I remember having Flo's in the North side several years ago and it was good. Rays is the best "chain" pizza in the North part of town IMO, but not Chicago style.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
The best Chicago Style Pizza is Spinatos. Several locations around the valley sorry none near Anthem, closest one is 16th St & Bell Rd. Like most Chicago pizzerias, they really pile the toppings on, good value.

Barros in Anthem at Daisy Mountain & Anthem Way is about as close as you get in Anthem, but they seem to have lost something in the translation from Chicago to Phoenix.

Hot Dogs and Italian Beef are the real challenge. Many places claim to have Chicago dogs, but most do not have poppy seed buns, sport peppers or the right seasoning and the fries are not greasy enough. The same goes for Italian Beef. Your only real option is Portillo's at the 101 & Shea (in Tempe also). You just have to decide to drive a little.

There are a host of "close, but no cigar" places that might satisfy you. For dogs, Joey's of Chicago at 19th Ave and Deer Valley (just off the I-17) is passable if you have an itch to scratch. Oregano's Pizza has the correct taste, crust is very thin ( I like just a little thicker), but lately they have really gotten cheap with the toppings. I wind up ordering double everything which gets real expensive fast.

Plenty of good Mexican food places though.
this is great info!
I dont mind paying extra for lots of toppings; its the cheese/sauce/crust that you just gotta have!
I like my pizza thick as well, so that might be an issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I was never a fan of Chicago style pizza but I have a friend from Chicago that swears by Oregano's Pizza, so there's a differing view to the post above. They are a local chain and may have one near you. Spinato's like JoeD said is another option, they win lots of awards but I have never tried it. I really like Nello's so if you are ever in Tempe check them out, I still remember running into Pat Tillman there with his family after an ASU football game in the 1990's which was a cool experience, great pizza but it takes awhile. Also maybe check the Wrigleyville West area in Mesa for something.
Quote:
Also regarding hot dogs, you are aware that Portillo's is in town right? For most of the food you are asking about, Tempe would have the best choices unfortunately, they have Teds Hot Dogs and Detroit Coneys at one intersection and Portillos down the road a couple miles. Best Chinese food is in Tempe/Chandler but I remember having Flo's in the North side several years ago and it was good. Rays is the best "chain" pizza in the North part of town IMO, but not Chicago style.
yeah, I know there is portillios, and I guess it will be quite a trip to get it from the northern burbs/Anthem area, but I guess I will appreciate even more once I get there!
Looking forward to the great Mexican food too, but no one has said anything about the chinesse/cantonese places, or dont they exist out here?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
I have a friend from Chicago that swears by Oregano's Pizza,
Ewwww. I go to the one off Shea and Scottsdale Road, and their pizza is junk, IMO. Not sure if they vary location to location or not, but ewwww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area