Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,097,625 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but what goes around comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 05:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,285,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
You're missing the point. Chances are he'll ask me what I'd want. Besides, if he's willing to pay $50 but I could reasonably be asking $400, why would I want to do it? There's no literal cost to me, but it's potentially a bother and something else to be on my mind.
I think you might not even realize what a bother this could become. Read the threads where folks are sharing yards, garages etc. Something always goes wrong.

For instance....what are the rules regarding renting a garage...Is it the same as renting a room....where you have to evict them if they are doing anything you don't approve of?

Another question....You mentioned the rental prices in your area. Sounds like a nice area where most folks would have 2 car garages. Does he have a 2 car garage? If so, are you sure he would be simply parking a car.....not working on a car or having buddies over standing around your garage while he services his car.

Like I said....Who knows what you'd be getting into really.

If it were me...I would never do it, unless the guy was in the service and gonna be gone.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,613,174 times
Do you feel like your neighbor is going to be knocking on your door to 'stash' more cars? Now you're the go-to neighbor who has created their own nightmare.

If it all seems cool, I'd say charge $75 per month and make sure the car is drivable and get a set of keys in case you need to move it. (oh, and have something in writing to release you from liability - just in case!)

Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,764,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I have a neighbor asking if he could have the use of my garage, probably for several months, to stash his extra car. The extra money would be nice, but I haven't a clue as to what would be reasonable.

How much would public by-the-month garages cost? If it helps, I imagine the houses in my area would rent for $1500-$2500 a month.
Interesting question, Voebe . . .

Not too long ago I was considering adopting a third vehicle (don't ask why) and did some research on a safe, indoor, lockable place to park it.

Here in Tucson the rate for a storage locker / garage large enough for a vehicle started at about 150 bucks a month as long as the vehicle was in running condition (no work / repairing whatsoever would be allowed). Climate Controlled and/or with electricity for a Battery Tender, etc ran more.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,739,722 times
Thank you to Bummer and PhureeKeeper of throwing out some numbers. For $50-$100, I don't think I'll bother. It's not a neighbor I know at all. He's a few doors down, and yes, we have two-ar garages, but this is his third(!) car. I'm fine with exchanging favors, but allowing use of property doesn't fall into that kind of category for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: