Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times

Advertisements

I am currently on the frozen Combined Advantage Rate that has very low kWh rates with the "catch" or drawback being a demand charge in the summer of $13. 55 per kilowatt. A full hour of a 5 ton 13 SEER A/C running can send the amount of the demand charge into the stratosphere. The APS website suggests that I would save money by switching to the Time Advantage 7pm to Noon plan where there is no demand charge, but a high on-peak and a low off-peak kWh rate. I am seeking opinions on what you all think of the Time Advantage 7pm to Noon plan vs the Combined Advantage Rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 06:29 AM

2,787 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Combined Advantage works best when paired with a load controller that automatically switches off certain appliances (usually the dryer) when your household demand peaks. If you don't have a controller installed, it's probably better to go with Time Advantage.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I have the demand rate and have had it for years and years. I once had a load controller but it conked out. You can achieve the same thing by using timers on the pool, the spa, the water heater if electric and then just playing the game. I also have a 5 ton ac. My peak demand in summer is about 6.5 and in winter about 2. The thing about the demand rate is that the off peak electric is very low so you can run your ac down. I sleep at 70 degrees and then let it run at that temp until noon when it jumps to 79. The pre chill keeps it nice until mid afternoon before the ac comes on again.

You can save money on this rate and live more comfortably, but you have to be very careful not to run high demand appliances at the same time during peak hours.

Note: One hour on my ac is about 5 kwh on the demand running flat out for one hour. My ac is 16 SEER though, so yours would be a little higher, but not the stratosphere. It sounds like you have something else going on at the same time (clothes dryer, dishwasher heat cycle, baking?).

Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
I've tried every rate they offer. You ask me it's all smoke and mirrors. None made a significant difference from another.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:17 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
I've never done the one with the demand charge - the noon-to-7 plan has been pretty easy to manage for us - laundry/dishes/oven-cooking always happens after 7. I ripped one of those load-controller thingies off my house before I painted it, so evidently a prior owner had tried the load-charge plan in the past.

We added better windows/insulation/18 seer heat pump/ & a heat-pump water heater after moving in, so I think our usage is in a different "tier" now than it used to be, so APS's calculators always suggest the plan we're on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area