Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,585,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I actually hope this project goes through. I like the proposal and believe it will be a nice addition.

Frankly, I am not crazy about a high density development, with a high rise, in that area, which is already congested. I'd rather see it out along the lake, too, especially if it's not intended as attracting students, but "young professionals" or however they phrased it. But, my opinion doesn't mean much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The highest densities should be concentrated near light rail, which runs right along the north side of the ASU Tempe Campus and near the site of this proposed development. The area along the lake is more distant from transit and therefore a less obvious candidate for high density development.
Well, when the streetcar is done, that will tie that whole Marina Heights/lakefront area to the light rail.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 AM

2,795 posts, read 7,500,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, when the streetcar is done, that will tie that whole Marina Heights/lakefront area to the light rail.
Good point, but to me that's an argument in favor of higher densities in both places.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Good point, but to me that's an argument in favor of higher densities in both places.

The density in that area is already pretty high. A lot more room to operate along the lakefront. Driving along University will, of course, be more of a nightmare than it already is. All those young professionals are not going to rely solely on mass transit. They still have to get to a grocery store.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 AM

837 posts, read 2,342,832 times
Meh, more uber expensive condo's that its nearby residents can't afford to live in anyway.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
Meh, more uber expensive condo's that its nearby residents can't afford to live in anyway.
Well, I don't think they've posted anything about prices. This isn't the Brickyard. I'm sure it will attract residents, whether they are people who already live nearby or not doesn't matter.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:11 PM

837 posts, read 2,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, I don't think they've posted anything about prices. This isn't the Brickyard. I'm sure it will attract residents, whether they are people who already live nearby or not doesn't matter.
Well the description mentioned luxury condo's which usually indicates a higher price-point. Besides, there have been very few, (if any) high-rise condo's built recently that could be classified as affordable here in the valley. This trend of pricing out the existing residents, when taken in aggregate, is basically gentrification. Great for those who can afford it, not so great for those who can't.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,388,466 times
We need more shades while walking the hot streets of Tempe. This is good!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
Well the description mentioned luxury condo's which usually indicates a higher price-point. Besides, there have been very few, (if any) high-rise condo's built recently that could be classified as affordable here in the valley. This trend of pricing out the existing residents, when taken in aggregate, is basically gentrification. Great for those who can afford it, not so great for those who can't.

It doesn't really matter to me, as an "existing resident" whether I could afford to move there or not. I suspect Opus will learn from W6, which failed as condos (when the economy admittedly was quite a bit worse) and not price them too high. Attracting NEW residents to Tempe is fine with me. I don't care where they lived before, and "gentrification" is not always some sort of dirty word. "Luxury" is a highly misused word, anyway. For some apartments, that just means granite countertops and nice carpet.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:10 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
We need more shades while walking the hot streets of Tempe. This is good!
Ah, yes... strolling within the cooler canyons and gulches of Tempe valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area