Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:50 PM

39,131 posts, read 51,428,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, when the streetcar is done, that will tie that whole Marina Heights/lakefront area to the light rail.
And the taxpayers shell out for light rail options for people who live in "luxury" apartments while real public transportation needs go begging.

Anyway, I've commented before and will once again that Tempe is losing its focus on students and ASU. In the grand scheme of things, that's OK, but we have to ask. Where will the children play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 02:06 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And the taxpayers shell out for light rail options for people who live in "luxury" apartments while real public transportation needs go begging.

Anyway, I've commented before and will once again that Tempe is losing its focus on students and ASU. In the grand scheme of things, that's OK, but we have to ask. Where will the children play?
Tempe is not supposed to be entirely focused on "students and ASU". it has thousands of residents, and will have more, that have little or nothing to do with the University in their daily lives here. "Real public transportation" in Tempe is quite good, and benefits those students you are so concerned about (and ASU staff and other ASU customers) and lots of other residents, myself included.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,181 times
Quote:
Frankly, I am not crazy about a high density development, with a high rise, in that area, which is already congested. I'd rather see it out along the lake, too, especially if it's not intended as attracting students, but "young professionals" or however they phrased it. But, my opinion doesn't mean much.
I disagree, this location is more "downtown" Tempe rather than the lake. I think this area near mill is where the height should be and it should stair step down as you go West across Ash and eventually the area where are the brownstones are being built. The prime areas of the lakefront are almost built out anyway, so this is great IMO. When I read about this a couple weeks ago on the Tempe site, it mentions it is three buildings with the first two planned to go to construction ASAP, and the third smaller building to follow.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I disagree, this location is more "downtown" Tempe rather than the lake. I think this area near mill is where the height should be and it should stair step down as you go West across Ash and eventually the area where are the brownstones are being built. The prime areas of the lakefront are almost built out anyway, so this is great IMO. When I read about this a couple weeks ago on the Tempe site, it mentions it is three buildings with the first two planned to go to construction ASAP, and the third smaller building to follow.
For the other things they are planning besides the residential, I agree that downtown makes more sense. I could wish it was not quite so crowded and high in that space (I thought USA Place sounded like too much, and it was to be on a much bigger piece of property). But, I won't be crushed if the plans don't change (or if it doesn't happen, but I do think it will) It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,181 times
Quote:
For the other things they are planning besides the residential, I agree that downtown makes more sense. I could wish it was not quite so crowded and high in that space (I thought USA Place sounded like too much, and it was to be on a much bigger piece of property). But, I won't be crushed if the plans don't change (or if it doesn't happen, but I do think it will) It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
You may remember there was a bigger, much taller building proposed (and I think approved by Tempe) for this same site that was a victim of the recession. So this is actually downsized from previous plans. I think the height is what the developer needs to make this development feasible as that is a prime piece of land.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You may remember there was a bigger, much taller building proposed (and I think approved by Tempe) for this same site that was a victim of the recession. So this is actually downsized from previous plans. I think the height is what the developer needs to make this development feasible as that is a prime piece of land.

I do remember that; at the time, there were fewer other tall buildings downtown than there are now. I think there was another one proposed west of Mill, further back in the past. As I said, it will be interesting to see what happens, but I don't think that Crow's argument is going to work too well, given the size of existing buildings quite close by. (and what would have been built at USA Place).

Last edited by observer53; 05-29-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 PM

416 posts, read 591,767 times
Like d/t Tempe needs another high rise in an area of abysmal parking. Pffff.

new2colo is on to something - Michael Crow cannot stand it when his fingers aren't in all the pies. His empire building has wrecked the college town feel of northern Tempe. So, if he's complaining about it, I'm all for it, even though I think it's the last thing Tempe needs.

I'm just surprised that any towers more than ten stories are allowed alongside the riverbed, considering that it's so close to Sky Harbor and the east side landing pattern. Money turns people blind, I guess.

'Tis okay - this ol' cynic's going to laugh when a 100 year flood comes in and a goodly portion of this construction floats its way down the Salt.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
Like d/t Tempe needs another high rise in an area of abysmal parking. Pffff.

new2colo is on to something - Michael Crow cannot stand it when his fingers aren't in all the pies. His empire building has wrecked the college town feel of northern Tempe. So, if he's complaining about it, I'm all for it, even though I think it's the last thing Tempe needs.

I'm just surprised that any towers more than ten stories are allowed alongside the riverbed, considering that it's so close to Sky Harbor and the east side landing pattern. Money turns people blind, I guess.

'Tis okay - this ol' cynic's going to laugh when a 100 year flood comes in and a goodly portion of this construction floats its way down the Salt.

Part of the build, if I recall correctly, is a parking garage. That area is out of the flight path. There are taller buildings than this proposal closer to the river.

We've had 100 year floods already down the Salt since I've lived here. At least three. Downtown Tempe hasn't seen any flooding yet.

Northern Tempe was losing its college town feel, to the extent it had one, long before Crow came to AZ. A lot of the buildup in downtown and northern Tempe had nothing to do with Crow.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 PM

197 posts, read 455,581 times
Would you say us millennials are somewhat phasing out suburban life? What I don't understand is how they expect us to afford these luxury apartments and condos working low wage jobs, living with 3 other people to make ends meet. We may be titled as "young professionals" but we aren't making the professional salary and not all of us want to be in the tech industry.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,638,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Would you say us millennials are somewhat phasing out suburban life? What I don't understand is how they expect us to afford these luxury apartments and condos working low wage jobs, living with 3 other people to make ends meet. We may be titled as "young professionals" but we aren't making the professional salary and not all of us want to be in the tech industry.
Millennials are a diverse group, even economically. I don't think these apartments are being marketed toward those who work low wage jobs and live with three other people. These are clearly market rate apartments for people who earn the income to afford to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area