Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 139,012 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to AZ from PA. Can anyone help us pinpoint any cities/neighborhoods where our children will not be the only Jewish kids in their classes? We've had enough of that in the Poconos Thanks for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapraf View Post
We're looking to move to AZ from PA. Can anyone help us pinpoint any cities/neighborhoods where our children will not be the only Jewish kids in their classes? We've had enough of that in the Poconos Thanks for the help!!!
There is little antisemitism here in the Phx area that I am aware of......

In fact; there is an Orthodox Jewish enclave near 7th St and Bethany Home in north central Phx------I ran into it yesterday while driving around.

Although; remember where the anti Jewish feeling is weakest, the outmarriage rate tends to very high-----and, the children oftentimes are not raised in the above faith.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
SCOTTSDALE.

Also, look into the Valley of the Sun JCC. We are members there and they have a preschool also. The facility is brand new and it's in Scottsdale. Chapparal, or Desert Mountain are the Jew Schools (my kids go to DM, they are in the infamous "jew-crew" and have a blast at school.) PM me if you want anything answered. Seriously, Scottsdale.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 PM

14 posts, read 139,012 times
thanks, will look into scottsdale. true, the out of faith marriage rate has grown!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:22 PM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
As mentioned above, North Central Phoenix is the traditional Jewish neighborhood. I live there and see people walking to the synagogue every Saturday and little boys wearing yarmulkes playing in the neighborhood park. There are also a few kosher restaurants and markets nearby.

Scottsdale, especially Shea Boulevard, is a newer, more suburban Jewish area. You'll also find Jewish populations in Tempe, Ahwatukee, and many other areas around the metro area.

Last edited by exit2lef; 01-20-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 11:10 AM

549 posts, read 1,558,782 times
Quote:
Look up synagogues in the Phoenix area in Google and you'll see the trend - the big Jewish areas are in north central Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

67 posts, read 272,579 times
I live in N. Scottsdale (Grayhawk / DC RAnch communities) and there are a lot of Jewish families here and at the school. A lot of them belong to the JCC on Scottsdale Rd and Thunderbird and love it. They have amazing summer camps for the kids.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 16,572 times
I've been asked by a friend to try to determine where in Scottsdale a "very senior" lady would find a rental in an area where there would be other Jewish women. She's a Mah Jongg player and assumes that if she's in a Jewish area, she'll find other Mah Jongg players.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy32256 View Post
I've been asked by a friend to try to determine where in Scottsdale a "very senior" lady would find a rental in an area where there would be other Jewish women. She's a Mah Jongg player and assumes that if she's in a Jewish area, she'll find other Mah Jongg players.
I would say in the area of Shea and the 101. There's a both a large Jewish and elderly population there. In fact, you can find women playing Mahjong at the Fry's (it's pretty funny/cute) at 90th St. and Shea most afternoons.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I'm not Jewish but I work with a lot of Jewish individuals. Most of my Jewish friends live in Scottsdale, Paradise Valley and central Phoenix in that order. Chandler also has a lot of Jewish families. Chandler is home to the following

They just built a brand new Chabad http://www.chabadcenter.com/.

The East Valley Jewish Day School http://www.evjds.org/

Temple Beth Sholom of the East Valley http://tbsev.org/

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-06-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area