Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

I guess since we paid only $83,000 for our little chicken coop here in the original S.C and had planned on gutting it anyway, another $3,000 was not an issue for the wonderful rec centers here. The homes we looked at in Trilogy were 4X the price for less square footage and a neighbor right on top of us. Taxes were very high in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

As we consider a future home we ask ourselves how important is it to have numerous rec centers? Are we likely to use more than one or two? If not, why should we care there are 3 (or 7)? If the activities we pursue are available in 1 center why would we want to pay for the upkeep or expansion of more? What if we pursue no activities? A huge attraction to Sun City is the amenities.

The number of rec centers matter because people will do different activities as they age. More rec centers more options. I would hate to be limited to what is offered at one rec center. It might be fine now but what will my interests be in 10 years?

$3500 one time and $462 a year for all that Sun City offers? The people that visit me cannot believe what we have and what we get for that money. When I tell them about my tax bill they are shocked when I tell them that is for a year and not for a month.

Whatever 55+ you decide on will charge you for the amenities if you use them or not, and it will cost a lot more than Sun City.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:46 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The number of rec centers matter because people will do different activities as they age. More rec centers more options. I would hate to be limited to what is offered at one rec center. It might be fine now but what will my interests be in 10 years?

$3500 one time and $462 a year for all that Sun City offers? The people that visit me cannot believe what we have and what we get for that money. When I tell them about my tax bill they are shocked when I tell them that is for a year and not for a month.

Whatever 55+ you decide on will charge you for the amenities if you use them or not, and it will cost a lot more than Sun City.
Well stated^^^

Old 10-07-2015, 08:17 AM

483 posts, read 665,661 times
Fees and monthly costs are one of the "joys" of living in a 55+ development. I guess it depends on your tolerance level, as well as what you're comparing it to.

For us, our $140 monthly HOA fee is a bargain compared to what we're used to. Our monthly condo fee in WI was $300 a month. What did we get for that, you ask? Okay, you didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway. Outside maintenance, snow removal, grass cutting and trash. That's it...no pool, no clubhouse...no nothing.

Here we have an outdoor pool, an indoor pool, state of the art workout facility, pickleball, fishing pond, softball field, clubs, classes...well, you get the idea. I didn't even mention the golf course...mainly because it's not included in the monthly fee...but again, you get the idea.

We will happily pay half the monthly fee that we used to pay and enjoy 10 times the amenities. It's all relative, I guess.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,865 times
Gene, watch out for the Property Taxes. They have gone way up since we bought here. Just paid 2015 and it was 3,100$. In 2009 we paid 2,126$. Granted the value went up too. We are part of Maricopa.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,865 times
HOA fees right now are 135$ per month. One recreation center. No matter how many recreation centers there are, you can only use one at the same time, you cannot be on both places at the same time. Personally we don't care, we rarely use it. There are so many clubs with activities but I am not interested. I am happy at home doing my own thing. I have tried a few but it is just not for me. So the amenities were not something we looked at when we bought. For me it was mainly the floor plan that mattered and the lot size.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:49 PM

95 posts, read 162,214 times
What is the HOA fee and PIF at Ventana Lakes?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:43 AM

604 posts, read 934,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
What is the HOA fee and PIF at Ventana Lakes?
I believe the HOA (or rec fee) is $88 monthly paid on a quarterly basis. I don't know what a PIF is so I can't answer that question.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:36 PM

Capital Improvement Fund.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM

At Sun City, it is the Preservation and Improvement Fund for about $3600 one time paid by buyer. Not sure what the equivalent is at Ventana Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area