Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 AM

129 posts, read 150,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaz View Post
I just moved from NC and thought of you right away. It's beautiful there and 4 seasons, but more like 3 seasons. But I also love AZ and now after 1 year call this home and plan on staying. My dream is to eventally have 2 homes. One in NC and on in AZ.
Congrats to you! Where in NC did you move from? Hoping AZ is wonderful to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
OP - every place has trade offs. There's a reason you moved here from the east coast. If you moved back there, you'd be miserable in the winter, thinking of all the running and hiking and outside activities happening in Phoenix at that time.

That being said, I feel your pain. For some reason this summer seems worse already than other summers. And I've been here 12 years. It seems like we got a hockey stick temperature change. It was sooooo wonderful in early May, and then one day we woke up and we had moved 10 miles east of Hell.

I'm struggling already this summer. You think you got it bad, I lived for 30 years in Hawaii before I moved here!!!!!!!!!!!

I think also what's making it harder is that my new BF is from a beach town in Connecticut. He's been here as long as me, but he constantly pines for the ocean. We just made a trip to San Diego for a few days, that helped. It only cost us food and gas though - as I have relatives there. We're making a trip to his hometown and then mine this summer. It can't come soon enough!

Till then, I picked up some of those cheap misters at Home Depot, Arctic Cove Big Chill Personal Stand Mister-MSDM009 - The Home Depot
That's helping the patio. We have lots of fans on and make sure we go out in the evenings when it's cooler. Trips to Sedona, Flagstaff and Lake Pleasant do help. But yeah, there's nothing like the ocean...

Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
OP - every place has trade offs. There's a reason you moved here from the east coast. If you moved back there, you'd be miserable in the winter, thinking of all the running and hiking and outside activities happening in Phoenix at that time.

That being said, I feel your pain. For some reason this summer seems worse already than other summers. And I've been here 12 years. It seems like we got a hockey stick temperature change. It was sooooo wonderful in early May, and then one day we woke up and we had moved 10 miles east of Hell.

I'm struggling already this summer. You think you got it bad, I lived for 30 years in Hawaii before I moved here!!!!!!!!!!!

I think also what's making it harder is that my new BF is from a beach town in Connecticut. He's been here as long as me, but he constantly pines for the ocean. We just made a trip to San Diego for a few days, that helped. It only cost us food and gas though - as I have relatives there. We're making a trip to his hometown and then mine this summer. It can't come soon enough!

Till then, I picked up some of those cheap misters at Home Depot, Arctic Cove Big Chill Personal Stand Mister-MSDM009 - The Home Depot
That's helping the patio. We have lots of fans on and make sure we go out in the evenings when it's cooler. Trips to Sedona, Flagstaff and Lake Pleasant do help. But yeah, there's nothing like the ocean...
Hawaii!!?? Wow, yea I don't think I could have left there.

Nothing like the shore on the east coast, just amazing. Awesome for you being able to vacation often. If we were able to afford to visit San Diego more than once a year it may work out. But with two under 3 years old...it isn't easy to travel or the most affordable.

Have a great summer!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
That is exactly how I feel, just the opposite. When I see videos and pictures of the ocean, my soul smiles.
I would suggest Eugene, Medford, Redding or Chico. Not overly expensive, mild winters and only about 1.5hrs from the coast. And I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings here but the Atlantic coast just doesn't stack up against the Pacific coast in terms of beauty. Just MHO though.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
And I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings here but the Atlantic coast just doesn't stack up against the Pacific coast in terms of beauty. Just MHO though.
I couldn't agree more. The only places I've seen in the east that have a a west coast/mountains/cliffs on the ocean feel to some degree are Acadia NP in Maine and the "lower" part of Cape Cod on the Atlantic side towards Wellfleet.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:38 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times
I prefer the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific. Yes, the Pacific coastal areas are scenic but as far as a beach and the actual water I'll take the Atlantic.

I've never lived on the coast but have visited often and always, always pined for it. As many here know I'm still trying to make my dream of a home on the beach a reality. Landlocked my whole life and...it's a big issue for me. That said, in our exhaustive search what I've found is that there is no perfect place; there's a major downside everywhere we look whether it's COL, extreme weather events, crowded areas, isolated locations....For perfect weather year 'round we sure like Hawaii but the isolation would surely get me if the COL didn't.

Having family to consider definitely does complicate things even if one does find their otherwise perfect spot. Looking ahead to what you want, as a parent, for your children or where you might need to be for elderly parents or for yourself as retirees someday makes every decision higher stakes. I'm coming to the conclusion that one needs to live for THIS moment and let the future be what it will, but that's another thread.

Phoenix had some upsides for us--dry air, big blue western skies, big city amenities, low housing prices. Easy air access, no small thing coming from MT. Mountains, beautiful desert scenery (there are ugly deserts, but Arizona is gorgeous), breathtaking sunsets every.single. evening. Fantastic weather (imo) all but a few weeks of the year. What is missing for me is water, and that is a very big deal.

I'll say it again--having a pool in the back yard (which I mostly sit by and look at, but the kids use) and lush greenery surrounding it works for me during the very hot weather. No, it's not a beach, but it does something for me mentally and emotionally to look out at the blue water and green palms. And physically, to take a refreshing dip and emerge to air dry almost instantaneously!! Now, I don't live there year round so it doesn't wear on me like it does on you all. And I am very happy in 90-100 degree temps in general, so there's that. In the 80s my feet are still always cold, lol. So for me 100-115 might get uncomfortable if I really have to be out and about in it a lot, but is not miserable. The hot nights are the worst of it as I like to have windows open--but think of the many more months of the year I am able to do that in PHX compared to most anywhere else.

Our house in Phoenix is decorated in light colors as someone mentioned above. I have resisted the temptation to "fake" the beach house so there are no nautical accessories, lol, but the colors are white, grey, tan, light greens, blues... Wood is grey/light brown tones. I've stayed away from the warm southwestern/mexican colors (or the tuscan themes we have seen a lot) even though I do like them. For me they make the heat seem oppressive and I find them claustrophobic in the summer, whereas the light tones work well with all the bright sun reflecting off my pool and filtering through the palms....Perhaps I overthink it...We are going for "desert spa" with a tropical punch. It works for me.

If you have to stay, you have to get a place with a pool and put in some palm trees. If you don't have to stay, look at making moves as an adventure, and do it while your kids are young and flexible. I will tell you that if I moved now I'd have to leave my 15 year old behind, lol. It doesn't get any easier if you wait. And if it's a disaster you can always move back, right?

Last edited by Montanama; 06-25-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 04:07 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
I prefer the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific. Yes, the Pacific coastal areas are scenic but as far as a beach and the actual water I'll take the Atlantic.
There are not only East and West options for beaches and actual water.

Most people forget the Gulf of Mexico (South) and the Great Lakes region (North). No, they're not oceans, but they are great bodies of water around America, and offer differing climes.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
If you have to stay, you have to get a place with a pool and put in some palm trees. If you don't have to stay, look at making moves as an adventure, and do it while your kids are young and flexible. I will tell you that if I moved now I'd have to leave my 15 year old behind, lol. It doesn't get any easier if you wait. And if it's a disaster you can always move back, right?
Thank you for your reply. That is just it. We DO NOT HAVE to stay. Thank goodness for that, otherwise I would feel horribly stuck. We are looking to move before my oldest will start Kindergarten, this way the kiddos are more flexible and will be able to make friends early on for a lifetime of friendships.

At this point we made our decision to leave Arizona. Like you mentioned, if it is a disaster..we could always move back to Phx.

We are stacking money to pay off debts, build a moving fund and will be beefing up resumes to hopefully secure a great position out there.

We will be taking a road trip out east in the early spring to find our forever home town.

Thank you to everyone's input and reply!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:47 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Thank you for your reply. That is just it. We DO NOT HAVE to stay. Thank goodness for that, otherwise I would feel horribly stuck. We are looking to move before my oldest will start Kindergarten, this way the kiddos are more flexible and will be able to make friends early on for a lifetime of friendships.

At this point we made our decision to leave Arizona. Like you mentioned, if it is a disaster..we could always move back to Phx.

We are stacking money to pay off debts, build a moving fund and will be beefing up resumes to hopefully secure a great position out there.

We will be taking a road trip out east in the early spring to find our forever home town.

Thank you to everyone's input and reply!
Wish I'd had the sense to do this when I was at that stage of life. Let us know what dream location you come up with--I'm looking for ideas!

Old 06-28-2015, 05:14 AM

720 posts, read 734,866 times
BeachBum I feel your pain - I grew up in NJ too!! sounds like we probably lived in neighboring towns lol - and I was a beach bum year round! I was never intending on living in AZ this was a pitstop for me in '93 waiting for a job in San Diego, but things happened and I wound up living here for 7 years until I said enough and left! Well long story short it took me 13 long years of moving around to have renewed appreciation of AZ and came back! My teenagers love it here (it took them a while yes I'll be honest!) - but kids have swimming 4x a week and horsebackriding and they keep in touch with their friends - yes it's not a neighborhood that they can go out and play on the street or even walk to their friends' house - but that is one small price to pay for everything else.

If I can convince my husband I would consider moving in walking distance to the greenbelt. That is the 11mile path from Tempe to Scottsdale where you don't feel like you're in a desert- no cacti in sight, lush green grass with 4lakes (yes master plan on how to deal with a flood zone) -this is great to have this bike/walk path in their reach without worrying about big roads.

You should go to canyon lake or whatever lake you are close to and take a dip it's beautiful. So many people here have boats, rowboats, peddle boats, speed boats whatever works for you - maybe that's something your kids would be interested in?? This heatwave makes you think crap I need a house up north or in San Diego for the summer but that's where airbnb may be a good resource for those long weekend getaways!

Stay Cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area