Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
That is the 11mile path from Tempe to Scottsdale where you don't feel like you're in a desert- no cacti in sight, !
There are tons of cacti, but less than youre accustomed to seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 03:28 PM

720 posts, read 734,866 times
haha big cats where? maybe further south - we go from 90th & shea to mccormick quite often and dont' see cacti except possibly in peoples yards where they've planted them not on the path

Old 06-29-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
haha big cats where? maybe further south - we go from 90th & shea to mccormick quite often and dont' see cacti except possibly in peoples yards where they've planted them not on the path
I jump on at 90th and Shea, too. I ride from there to Tempe Town Lake and back, and youre correct, theyre mostly in yards, but youll see a lot along the path just south of Indian Bend, and along many of the golf courses along the way. Once you get down by Osborn area, lots of cacti to be seen around the path.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Umm, there's cactus by the ocean too Of course I grew up in Mission Viejo which is by Saddleback Mountain, the wilderness park and also near Aliso & Wood Canyon Park. Lots of trails with cactus and even scorpions and rattlesnakes. Much prettier than the dirt and rocks our mountain trails feature though IMO.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,549 times
Yup - we have lived here nearly one year, and I am not just missing the ocean, but water in general. We used to not have to travel far to reach pine-lined lakes, or to get to the ocean. There is just less natural diversity in the immediate area - and I am craving something different.

Love the people we have met. Love the schools. Love the neighborhood. Love living in South Tempe. Love the price of gas. But, especially in summer, the redundancy of the heat/moisture, along with feeling trapped indoors has made me think of moving to greener pastures for 2016.

To the OP - it must be difficult with young children. I wish you well as you try to figure this out!!!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Umm, there's cactus by the ocean too Of course I grew up in Mission Viejo which is by Saddleback Mountain, the wilderness park and also near Aliso & Wood Canyon Park. Lots of trails with cactus and even scorpions and rattlesnakes. Much prettier than the dirt and rocks our mountain trails feature though IMO.
Try the Superstitions. I think theyre the most attractive mountain range here close to Phoenix. Also try hiking up Toms Thumb in Scottsdale. Lots of huge boulders at the summit, makes for a unique hiking experience.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Try the Superstitions. I think theyre the most attractive mountain range here close to Phoenix. Also try hiking up Toms Thumb in Scottsdale. Lots of huge boulders at the summit, makes for a unique hiking experience.
Oh yeah, I think the Superstitions in particular are pretty. I used to hike almost everyday, typically it was South Mountain though. I'm just saying it doesn't compare to the beauty of a place such as Aliso & Wood Canyons IMO. It's relatively green with more interesting terrain and vegetation, some areas of the trail are completely immersed in shade from the trees. And in certain points you can see all the way to Catalina Island.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
If you've been here for six years and still feel this way, yes, you should go back. I'm a great lover of the Jersey Shore (GSP Exit 100) but I got used to Arizona after about four years. I don't even think the Shore is the same after Hurricane Sandy. Some might say better than ever, but I'm not sure it has the same vibe anymore. But the things you're not liking here are never going to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area