Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM

567 posts, read 788,270 times

Advertisements

No fooling myself at all. I don't even think about having one foot in each state. My heart's been in two places for decades. We live in AZ, but our business is in CA. We pay AZ taxes; we pay CA taxes.

We're in our mid-60s, and it's physically impossible to move right now. Even if that weren't a problem, we couldn't afford to live where and how we wanted to live there. On top of that, our son and grandkids moved back from SoCal last year because they couldn't afford to stay. That said, they hope to return in a few years. Hopefully, we'll be able to figure out a way to make it work for us to go, too.

AZ is a beautiful. It still is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. I never regretted moving from Chicago. Still, I would deal with the June gloom, sluggish traffic, wildfires, smog, and the chance of major quakes to be able to live near the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM

29 posts, read 49,976 times
LagunaMom: AZ is a beautiful. It still is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. I never regretted moving from Chicago. Still, I would deal with the June gloom, sluggish traffic, wildfires, smog, and the chance of major quakes to be able to live near the ocean.

It's such a strong disposition: which environment a person is drawn to. I lived and worked along coastal California during my career, but I grew up in the Central Valley (Fresno). My heart has always been with the mountains and desert, since I was a girl. I'd always wanted to leave the coast. Being close to the ocean doesn't do much for me. I really disliked June gloom. And I spent every summer as a girl with my family in Morro Bay. To me, the ocean, as beautiful as it is and as fascinating as its inhabitants are, is like a cold curtain. The mountains and desert, on the other hand, have vistas and distances that feel expansive and never ending to me. The call of a certain geography is hard to deny.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikethesky View Post
LagunaMom: AZ is a beautiful. It still is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. I never regretted moving from Chicago. Still, I would deal with the June gloom, sluggish traffic, wildfires, smog, and the chance of major quakes to be able to live near the ocean.

It's such a strong disposition: which environment a person is drawn to. I lived and worked along coastal California during my career, but I grew up in the Central Valley (Fresno). My heart has always been with the mountains and desert, since I was a girl. I'd always wanted to leave the coast. Being close to the ocean doesn't do much for me. I really disliked June gloom. And I spent every summer as a girl with my family in Morro Bay. To me, the ocean, as beautiful as it is and as fascinating as its inhabitants are, is like a cold curtain. The mountains and desert, on the other hand, have vistas and distances that feel expansive and never ending to me. The call of a certain geography is hard to deny.
Well said!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:56 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikethesky View Post

That's one of the things I loved about the area I grew up in in South OC, the topography near the ocean. It's not like the East coast where it is mostly boring flat lands running into the Atlantic, I love the cliffs and mountains near the water. Not to mention being a climate sweet spot

Old 06-22-2015, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 4,325 times
I live in Maricopa and Love it. No flies by me. Have only been here 1 year and love the weather even the heat. I have learned to get out in the morning and walk, ride my bike and do yard work. I refuse to be stuck in the house due to the heat. We swim alot throughtout the day. I moved from the southeast and yes miss certain things like living right on a lake but I am learning fast on loving the desert.
Sounds like you might be lonely and need some friends. That is probably my only complaint is having left many friends behind and not having meet to many friends yet. There's alot of parks in my neighborhood where I see mother's and there kids every morning hanging out.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Any tips on overcoming me missing the ocean, beach, greenery, mature trees? Originally from NJ where I was 30 mins away from NYC, 40 min to the ocean and 20 min to hiking trails.

I've done a Sedona trip, but it just doesn't cut it. I don't like that my kids are growing up indoors during the summer, instead of playing outside with neighborhood kids.

Am I crazy to think about leaving AZ, when so many desire to move here?
Just take a vacation back. It's good for the soul. It will also remind you of the reasons you left. I moved from MA to TX. Just do it. Stop overthinking it.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 PM

129 posts, read 150,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Just take a vacation back. It's good for the soul. It will also remind you of the reasons you left. I moved from MA to TX. Just do it. Stop overthinking it.
The problem is I have ZERO interest moving back to NJ. So everyone that just simply says to move back doesn't get it. I left NJ and am never going back. They can keep their corrupted government, politics, horrible roadways and ridiculous taxes.

I am trying to find a happy medium for myself and my family. I like the sunny, mild temps of Phx and the affordability but just need to live under an hour to the ocean. I will take a mild winter over a warm one if it gets me to the coast. So essentially I am looking for a state that doesn't quite exist.

I am thinking North Carolina coast since it has four mild seasons, the beach and is much more affordable than the North East without the snow

@LagunaMom - Thank you for the suggestions. I do have beach decor, both of my bathrooms are decorated with serene beach colors I've listened to my soul and learned I need to be near the ocean. I need to smell it, touch it and live it. I am a beach girl through and through.

I tell people all the time Arizona is a wonderful state. If you are a desert/mountain person who enjoys hiking, biking, fishing, golfing and camping...you will just love it!

The heat is hot, but it isn't unbearable. Just like July Florida heat is bearable with A/C. I just simply want to be closer to the ocean. We can't afford to stay in Cali a few times a year, it just doesn't cut it.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
I am trying to find a happy medium for myself and my family. I like the sunny, mild temps of Phx and the affordability but just need to live under an hour to the ocean. I will take a mild winter over a warm one if it gets me to the coast.
The inland empire region of CA(cities like Corona, CA) is about as close as you're going to get on those fronts but I think home prices have risen quite a bit over the last few years in that region.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,014 times
Quote:
I am trying to find a happy medium for myself and my family. I like the sunny, mild temps of Phx and the affordability but just need to live under an hour to the ocean.
If I knew of this place I wouldn't tell anyone about it.

Since about 40% of the US population live in coastline counties, finding cheap, less known, good places is difficult.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 AM

129 posts, read 150,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Maricopa is a dump in the middle of the desert , I will say it also, no wonder lol. Move up to the valley and I think you will see things different .
Honestly, we thought about moving to Chandler/Gilbert but to sell our house, pack everything and up and move 30 miles away just doesn't make sense. Also home prices are higher in that area, so for us I'd rather spend that amount on a house on the East Coast.

Our parents live here also, so that adds to us feeling stuck here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area