Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:14 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times

Advertisements

The right film on your license plate makes it unreadable by cameras, yet looks normal to the human eye, technically it is illegal, but they have to catch you first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
I'm pretty sure I got a speed camera ticket in PV a few weeks ago. I saw the flash in front of me as I was going through the intersection at Lincoln and Tatum. I read that PV recently "upgraded" their red light cameras to include speeding violations as well. Every day I dread checking the mail. OP - how long did it take for you to receive notice after the violation?

Old 07-05-2015, 02:41 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I once got a radar ticket when I was turning into a driveway someone whipped around me because he didn't want to slow down the thing got me instead of him. I could not believe it when I went to court the person who worked for the camera company only brought the picture of my car before I turned you could tell my wheels were turned. The judge went with their side of the store.
All the more reason to stop this idiocy of robotic radar, and leave traffic enforcement to human officers. If a cop had witnessed somebody speeding around you, that person would have been rightfully pulled over (or maybe not depending on the officer's discretion). In any case, you wouldn't have been given a ticket, and wouldn't have had to waste time in court. Technology is only as good as the people behind it ... and in this case, it was likely a clerical error by somebody who punches a keyboard all day.

Quote:
That was when I stopped responding to the letters wanting me to waive my rights I have never looked back. Most of the tickets I dodged were the DPS ones which were removed from the freeways anyway. Those vans they park on the side of the road can't figure out who is speeding when different cars are driving in different speeds.
Yep, those cameras all over the freeways were absolutely ridiculous. The state wasn't seeing an increase in revenue because many people ignored them, and there wasn't a damn thing the law could do about making people pay the fines. Brewer finally ordered the cameras to be taken down & dismantled the whole program because it actually turned out to be a money LOSING deal for the state. Speed cameras do absolutely nothing to improve traffic safety, and aren't even effective for increasing revenue. They're absolutely useless!

Quote:
The only cameras I agree with are the red light cameras which use fixed sensors in the street. Red light runners need to be stopped. The freeway speeding 11 mph over was just a money maker who drives 55 on a freeway anymore they were so dumb because everyone just slammed the breaks going though that one spot then back up to 75 mph.
Agreed 100%! Even the red light cameras have their flaws, but if I had a choice I'd rather see cameras at major intersections to nab the red light runners than people who drive over the speed limit. Red light running is FAR more dangerous than speeding in most cases. In fact, driving too slow is actually more dangerous than speeding, especially when the driver is inattentive and/or not moving with the flow of traffic.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:48 PM

339 posts, read 933,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
I'm pretty sure I got a speed camera ticket in PV a few weeks ago. I saw the flash in front of me as I was going through the intersection at Lincoln and Tatum. I read that PV recently "upgraded" their red light cameras to include speeding violations as well. Every day I dread checking the mail. OP - how long did it take for you to receive notice after the violation?
It was pretty fast. One ticket dated 6/15, one dated 6/19...both postmarked 6/26. Received roughly 6/29-6/30.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:46 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
I thought you could only get points from a camera ticket if it was for running a red light, not for speeding. Not true?

Mrs. Lee got the alternate service from Scottsdale, notice was taped to our front door. Process server totally lied on the affidavit about the three previous attempts, which I verified by asking the neighbor they said confirmed my wife's name and address - he'd never met her and certainly wouldn't have known her Chinese name on her DL. Still, once that's taped to your door, you're considered served.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:16 AM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I thought you could only get points from a camera ticket if it was for running a red light, not for speeding. Not true?

Mrs. Lee got the alternate service from Scottsdale, notice was taped to our front door. Process server totally lied on the affidavit about the three previous attempts, which I verified by asking the neighbor they said confirmed my wife's name and address - he'd never met her and certainly wouldn't have known her Chinese name on her DL. Still, once that's taped to your door, you're considered served.

My google research on this is that it has to be approved by a judge first before they can do this. I'm not exactly sure that the process they are following is legal it's possible no one has challenged it. I wonder if you register a car in a company name and address it at one of those mail box places there is no way to line up a name and a face for that. They would have no idea who owns the company. My employer simply gets a ticket asking who was driving the vehicle.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Lies, all lies!

I went through it once and figured I could do it faster online, fast forward through the course, take the test and be done.....nope, there's a timer at the bottom of every single page and you can't progress until the time runs out so you pretty much have to spend as much time as if you attended the class in person.
Yes, you have to use the allotted time for each section, but it is still on your own schedule. And you don't have to do the whole course at once, and you can work on it wherever you can get to a computer. That's what I meant by "at your own speed". I've learned something useful when I take it, too. (just as I did when the only option was the in person class).

Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Throw all 5 or so of them away like I did! Then go into the dmv and realize your license had been suspended because the hand deliverer person lied about serving you, and so you sit in front of a judge who says the deliverer described you as a brunette and clearly that is not my hair color so he lets it go. Then I got another one where the judge cornered me and said I'd have to go to a re trial but If I didn't go itd go to collections. So I paid the $257 kicking and screaming and crying to my fiancé (now husband) about how unjust the system is. Then I stopped speeding.

So technically you legally are not bound to pay but AZ seems to find a way to corner you And take the money.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Yes, you have to use the allotted time for each section, but it is still on your own schedule. And you don't have to do the whole course at once, and you can work on it wherever you can get to a computer. That's what I meant by "at your own speed". I've learned something useful when I take it, too. (just as I did when the only option was the in person class).
Twice, eh?

Should we start calling you Speedy53?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
I too, was driving the hood of PV off Tatum and Lincoln Blvd. With my sister because I was in a white neighbor hood I thought I was driving careful. I even drove under the speed limit the car in front of me had a bubble on the plate and put on his/her breaks when the lights started flashing I did not think I was in any violation and the car behind me was two second behind me. I had my drive wise as proof that monitors my speed and but the courts felt that it was not enough evidence and told me that I would have to pay the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area