Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,351,522 times

Advertisements

I noticed that there have been several new installations of LED dynamic message signs on Phoenix area freeways. The Loop 202 SanTan Freeway got some new ones near its western terminus, and I heard there are plans to install more along the SanTan Freeway all the way to Val Vista. I noticed that the newest ones are Skyline Products full matrix LED signs, and I was told by ADOT that they have the capability of displaying color graphics. However, there are no plans to display colors or graphics on them at this time, and they will continue to be programmed as if they were fixed character matrix signs (probably to maintain compatibility with the older signs).

There are three different generations of dynamic message signs used on freeways in Arizona:
  • First generation (Mid 1990s-Mid 2000s) - The first models purchased by ADOT were SYLVIA fiber-optic fixed character matrix models. This is still the most common model in the state today, and many have been retrofitted with internal LED lighting and will remain in service for years to come.
  • Second generation (Mid 2000s-2013) - The second generation of models purchased by ADOT are the Daktronics LED fixed character matrix signs. These are also the first walk-in units to be purchased by ADOT, allowing crews to perform maintenance without closing lanes.
  • Current generation (2013-present) - The current generation of models purchased by ADOT are the Skyline Products full matrix LED signs.
I wonder, will ADOT be using these new dynamic message signs to their full potential in the future? I wonder why ADOT would purchase full matrix color LED signs. It would be interesting to see ADOT display color graphics on these signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,605 times
Interesting. I like when they post the travel times on the overhead sign boards or warn about accidents up ahead and agree that more message boards should aid all-around travel times and safety and mobility.

I personally don't see why there would be any value in a color display board, though. Hopefully the price was not any more to get a color board. :-)

Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Interesting. I like when they post the travel times on the overhead sign boards or warn about accidents up ahead and agree that more message boards should aid all-around travel times and safety and mobility.

I personally don't see why there would be any value in a color display board, though. Hopefully the price was not any more to get a color board. :-)
Yep, and more will be going up. A few have gone up on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway between I-10 and Dobson, and more will be installed next year up to Val Vista alongside new ramp meters. I wonder though if there are any being installed as part of the construction on the Red Mountain Freeway in Mesa.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Sorry to bump, but over the past two weeks, four new full matrix dynamic message signs by Skyline Products have been installed on the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway between Loop 101 and Cooper (two eastbound, two westbound), with four more (two in each direction) to be installed soon between Cooper and Ray. DMS on the remaining portion of the SanTan Freeway between Ray and Broadway are planned to be installed next year with bids going out in the spring; manufacturer is yet to be determined since Skyline's contract expires in July of next year.

Here is an interesting map where you can see the locations of all current, future, and proposed dynamic message signs:
http://adot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vie...1b6bdc1ae3194e

Those that are in the "Construction" phase (blue) are currently being installed and tested. Those in the "Designed" phase (green) are confirmed future locations that the design work has been completed.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,605 times
Interesting map. I drive every day and honestly had no idea I was driving by THAT many of these signs. I guess you just get used to them and don't realize just how many there are now.

I think they serve the most efficient purpose when warning of impending closures or accidents/delays up ahead, as well as giving travel times to certain distances.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Interesting map. I drive every day and honestly had no idea I was driving by THAT many of these signs. I guess you just get used to them and don't realize just how many there are now.

I think they serve the most efficient purpose when warning of impending closures or accidents/delays up ahead, as well as giving travel times to certain distances.
Yep, plus a lot of proposed future locations as well (red boxes on the map). What I find interesting is all those proposed additional DMS that ADOT plans on adding to the Broadway Curve area. I wonder what will they be used for.

Interestingly there are also proposed future DMS locations along Grand Avenue as well. I presume these will be smaller units than the ones used on the freeways.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 PM

The Loop 202 SanTan Freeway will have a portion closed again this weekend for the installation of another dynamic message sign in the eastbound direction between Gilbert Road and Higley from Friday night to Saturday evening according to AZ511.gov. Probably the weekend after will be the same stretch in the westbound direction.

However, I don't expect we will see travel times displayed on them until at least installation is complete on the remaining portion between Ray and Broadway, which should go out for bid next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area