Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:33 PM

194 posts, read 292,381 times

Advertisements

Very sad stories. Gotta be honest...having just moved here I am overly paranoid and we don't need to hike in the summer. That's what the other 3 seasons are for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:46 AM

416 posts, read 589,593 times
You don't usually hear of the experienced local person who knows better getting in these situations - which seems at first glance that this is the case. That makes it more sad in addition to the loss of the child. Perhaps the grandpa got disoriented...

It's sad, because every year there are people who decide - seemingly on the hottest frikkin' day of the summer - that they're just going to take a little hike. And it's usually the inexperienced ones who seem to do it on a lark, on a trail they've never been on, with inappropriate shoes and attire and no water. And it also seem that, somehow, they wind up on an expert's trail, or completely off it because they were sure it was a shortcut.

As a native Arizonan who hiked for a living for several years, I knew where to go and NOT where to go, and more importantly, how far. I watched my clock: for example, if I wanted an hour's hike at South Mountain, I noted my start time and paid attention to where I was going. At the 35 to 40 minute mark (because I was usually heading up the hill), I'd turn around and work my way down. I didn't mess around, I didn't get adventurous... and I was always off the trail in the summer by 11-11:30. If I wanted a longer hike, I'd get there earlier so, again, to be off the trail before it got too hot.

I would think that would be a good general practice. But noooo, every year, we hear about the rescue of idiots. Grrr.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,620,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
You don't usually hear of the experienced local person who knows better getting in these situations - which seems at first glance that this is the case. That makes it more sad in addition to the loss of the child. Perhaps the grandpa got disoriented...

It's sad, because every year there are people who decide - seemingly on the hottest frikkin' day of the summer - that they're just going to take a little hike. And it's usually the inexperienced ones who seem to do it on a lark, on a trail they've never been on, with inappropriate shoes and attire and no water. And it also seem that, somehow, they wind up on an expert's trail, or completely off it because they were sure it was a shortcut.

As a native Arizonan who hiked for a living for several years, I knew where to go and NOT where to go, and more importantly, how far. I watched my clock: for example, if I wanted an hour's hike at South Mountain, I noted my start time and paid attention to where I was going. At the 35 to 40 minute mark (because I was usually heading up the hill), I'd turn around and work my way down. I didn't mess around, I didn't get adventurous... and I was always off the trail in the summer by 11-11:30. If I wanted a longer hike, I'd get there earlier so, again, to be off the trail before it got too hot.

I would think that would be a good general practice. But noooo, every year, we hear about the rescue of idiots. Grrr.
To be fair, some are "idiots", and others are just ignorant of the facts.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:34 PM

416 posts, read 589,593 times
How can one be ignorant of the fact it's 105+ degrees outside? That always gets me.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 AM

13,332 posts, read 7,368,140 times
I think in this case they are going to find some sort of medical issue possible he had a stroke but didn't know it. A co-worker of mine had a stroke he was wondering all over work talking gibberish people thought he was drunk which is a common mistake. One person recognized it as a stroke drove him to the hospital.

Summertime hiking the risks are higher. I walk up north mountain even in the summer and I have talked to a few guys in really good shape they run up that paved road during when it's over 105. Depends on your conditioning as well someone who is not in the best of shape should be careful. I choose to not exercise in 105+ degree weather. I work with someone who rides his bike to work even on the hottest days 110 degrees 14 miles each way. He brings water with him but he somehow is able to do it says he got used to it I remember another guy who used to ride 31 miles each way even in the summer he was in really good shape.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,391,260 times
Last summer there were several men from the UK who came here to golf. They spent every day on the golf course. After 5 days of this, we met them at a pub in Scottsdale. I asked one of them if they were watching their water intake and were making sure they tended to their electrolytes*. They thought this was funny. One of them joked, "The good thing about Arizona's dry heat is ya don't sweat! Ya don't need ta drink water, besides, it's nasty, fish swim in it!"

Several of us were alarmed at their attitude and tried to impress upon them how important it was to drink water, especially out in the sun. At one point one of the men got up to go to the restroom and he fainted, just barely missing the side of the table. Another one of the men said he felt a little "woozy" and thought it was because our beer is so strong. We called an ambulance for the man who fainted, then asked the Medics to check all of the guys, just in case. Two more of them were on the verge of collapse and were just attributing it to beer. As Kell490 said, this is a common misconception: acting woozy = drunk. Not always the case. As locals, we should keep an eye on our visiting guests and make sure they understand. Don't assume. If you don't have experience with heat over 90º, this is new territory.

To the out of towners - yes, it's true: you don't notice sweat when you are out in 100+ degree weather. It vaporizes off your skin. That doesn't mean you aren't losing fluids! If you are from a cloudy climate, you won't realize how quickly you can become dehydrated here. Even when the skies are overcast, you still are getting some pretty strong rays through the clouds. Please be careful! Listen to the locals. We all have stories about how we or a loved one suffered sun headaches, wooziness, near dehydration and the like after a short period in this heat without proper precautions. I never leave the house without a bottle of water, and I always keep a gallon of water in the trunk. It might be nasty after sitting in the heat for weeks, but it's better than nothing. Plus, my car may need it as well.

Quick tip from the medics we talked with: Look at the pads on your fingers. If they are wrinkled, you are dehydrated. If they look normal and filled out, you are hydrated.

This is a good article on heat exhaustion: How well do you know your body in the heat?

*How I manage my electrolyte balance: Celtic sea salt is a nutritional salt that has more than just sodium in it; GatorAde and some of those types of sports drinks also replenish electrolytes. I prefer to make my own "sports drink" with water, celtic sea salt and stevia so I'm not overdoing the sugar. I also carry a small vial of celtic sea salt with me. A few grains on the tongue will help re-energize me when I've been drinking a lot of water and/or using up a lot of energy in the hot sun. (No, I don't work for them. I'm just a fan.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area