Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:17 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,033,638 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of land throughout the west valley that is undeveloped. I would imagine real estate investors have been itching to build homes and businesses out there. And with the 303 freeway, it would be so accessible.

However the only thing I can see impeding future growth, is Luke AFB, mainly the noise issue.

I realize the AFB was here long before the Phoenix area got so huge. I know Luke brings in alot of money to the local economy. But then so would hundreds of thousands of new residences, and the businesses surrounding them.

What are your all's thoughts on the future outlook of the west valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:50 AM

346 posts, read 551,884 times
Why would Luke impede growth? The City of Goodyear has gone out of its way to protect the Southern Departure Corridor where the greatest noise and accident risk occur; it has insured that no residential development will occur in that 4,000 or so acres. (Not surprising given the fact that Luke is estimated to provide a $1.5 billion annual boost to the local economy.) Areas in the rest of the west valley may be exposed to a little bit of jet noise now and again (usually in the beginning of the month when the budget is still healthy) but even that is less than it used to be since budgets have been cut to the bone; lots of pilots are only getting in enough flying hours to maintain their certs.

We are in the middle of buying a home in Marley Park in Surprise and there were huge disclaimers in all the disclosures about possible aircraft noise but the city has still seen huge growth in the last decade - and expects even more in the next thanks to the expansion of the 303. Air Force bases and towns/cities co-exist all over the country in close proximity. Look at the area around Travis Air Force Base (a big Air Mobility Command base right between Vacaville and Fairfield, CA); it has seen HUGE growth over the last decade due to the continued need for affordable housing and job growth in the area. (In fact Solano County, where Travis is located, predicted a 46% increase in residents between 2000 and 2030.)

The basic premise that the existence of an active Air Force base and its noise will prevent local growth is just not true.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 AM

8,311 posts, read 8,719,514 times
When a plane flies over you are more likely to see people look up and smile than complain. I have seen groups of people stop what they are doing to watch the planes. It is quite impressive.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:02 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,909,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When a plane flies over you are more likely to see people look up and smile than complain. I have seen groups of people stop what they are doing to watch the planes. It is quite impressive.
Free air show!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:33 AM

2,097 posts, read 3,821,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Free air show!

Freedom!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,636,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Free air show!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Freedom!
Exactly, jet noise absolutely means FREEDOM!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:27 PM

Well I guess my question is answered then! The jets will have no affect on future growth in the west valley. In fact the free air show could a selling point. I can picture it on the billboards already, "Starting in the $190s with free airshow". What could be better than that. Perhaps living right next to the freeway where you get to enjoy "free NASCAR racing" at all hours?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:45 PM

570 posts, read 1,005,850 times
I think some West Valley cities will benefit more than others. Surprise, Goodyear, Buckeye, Peoria will probably benefit the most.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 AM

13,481 posts, read 7,475,844 times
Luke AFB was here before the homes don't live near the base if you don't like the noise easy as that. Why does anyone complain after buying a home right near the base?

Old 07-13-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Luke AFB was here before the homes don't live near the base if you don't like the noise easy as that. Why does anyone complain after buying a home right near the base?
Who's complaining? I simply asked if the base would hinder future growth in the west valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area