Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be next to getlight rail?
Glendale 14 51.85%
Scottsdale 5 18.52%
Chandler 5 18.52%
Gilbert 3 11.11%
Tolleson 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,489,045 times

Advertisements

Assuming passage of Proposition 104, Glendale is most likely because the planned extension through the Alhambra neighborhood of Phoenix would be a precursor for laying additional track past the border at 43rd Avenue and into Glendale, As others have pointed out, however, Glendale's financial situation is precarious. In addition, Glendale's favored destination of Westgate would prove to be a waste if the Coyotes leave. It might be that by the time an Alhambra / Glendale extension is ready for construction that these issues have been resolved for Glendale. If that happens, I hope Glendale will choose a better route that focuses on established, durable destinations rather than the fragile sports sprawl of Westgate. After Glendale, Chandler is most likely. The issue there is that additional track would have to be built in Mesa, and there is no plan for that right now (other than extending the existing line east to Gilbert Road).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Glendale already gets more bus ridership than Chandler, which is one of my main reasons why I think Glendale will be next. Even though out of all Valley cities Glendale is fifth behind Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, and Scottsdale, Scottsdale probably won't be next because neither the local government nor its residents want light rail to keep the undesirables out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if even Gilbert gets light rail before Scottsdale does.
I thought it was Gilbert. The next extension in Mesa will bring it to Gilbert Rd. with the ultimate goal of reaching Gateway. I thought one map I saw had it going down gilbert to Williams Field. Which is technically the Chandler border.

I agree it should have gone down AZ Ave\Country Club but Mesa wanted it in downtown Mesa which killed that idea.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,397,177 times
What's the cost of the two new extensions, the one in Phoenix and the one in Mesa, about $100 million a mile? So if you are to go down AZ87/Country Club/Arizona Ave into Chandler from Main, what's that another 3 to 3 and a half miles to just get to the Chandler border?

Even if you assume the federal government will pay up to 50% of the cost, that's another $150 million or so Mesa, maybe Mesa and Chandler will have to pay. Then it's a little over 3 more miles to get to downtown Chandler from there.

Will Mesa and Chandler go halfsies on the 3 mile spur? Glendale is in a similar boat, especially if they decide to go down Glendale Ave, it's what another 3 miles from the line on 19th to the Glendale border at 43rd?

Another interesting thing about those two spurs is that they both go over major highways, Superstition and I-17. Do you widening the current bridges, build new bridges, or just put the line in one of the two turning lanes on the bridge? That might increase the normal cost per mile a little bit as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,548,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
What's the cost of the two new extensions, the one in Phoenix and the one in Mesa, about $100 million a mile? So if you are to go down AZ87/Country Club/Arizona Ave into Chandler from Main, what's that another 3 to 3 and a half miles to just get to the Chandler border?

Even if you assume the federal government will pay up to 50% of the cost, that's another $150 million or so Mesa, maybe Mesa and Chandler will have to pay. Then it's a little over 3 more miles to get to downtown Chandler from there.

Will Mesa and Chandler go halfsies on the 3 mile spur? Glendale is in a similar boat, especially if they decide to go down Glendale Ave, it's what another 3 miles from the line on 19th to the Glendale border at 43rd?

Another interesting thing about those two spurs is that they both go over major highways, Superstition and I-17. Do you widening the current bridges, build new bridges, or just put the line in one of the two turning lanes on the bridge? That might increase the normal cost per mile a little bit as well.
It's more than three miles from Main to the Chandler border. 3 miles only gets you to Baseline.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Glendale should be next in line but don't count on it.

The entire west valley is sorely lacking in transportation improvements including freeways.

This needs to change because the west valley continues to grow at a fast pace and there will be even more demand for mass transit projects.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:12 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,416,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Glendale should be next in line but don't count on it.

The entire west valley is sorely lacking in transportation improvements including freeways.

This needs to change because the west valley continues to grow at a fast pace and there will be even more demand for mass transit projects.
As far as I know, the much of the transit funding in the existing Proposition 400 is primarily focused on the East Valley, while most of the funding for the West Valley is for freeways. For many years, Mesa was the largest city in the nation without Sunday bus service. Now Mesa has the third best transit network in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe, and that doesn't only include light rail.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As far as I know, the much of the transit funding in the existing Proposition 400 is primarily focused on the East Valley, while most of the funding for the West Valley is for freeways. For many years, Mesa was the largest city in the nation without Sunday bus service. Now Mesa has the third best transit network in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe, and that doesn't only include light rail.
I'm aware of that and mass transit expansions like light rail are too unbalanced in favor of the east valley.

On the freeways we're still waiting for groundbreaking on the 202 around Ahwatukee and SR 30 in the southwest valley, meanwhile I-10 is our only option which is a clogged mess.

The west valley has the highest growth rate of any other part of the Phoenix area so transportation projects should be focussed a little more on west valley cities to keep up with the rapid growth.

This includes getting the reliever freeways built, expanding light rail and bus service, and even adding commuter rail.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'm aware of that and mass transit expansions like light rail are too unbalanced in favor of the east valley.

On the freeways we're still waiting for groundbreaking on the 202 around Ahwatukee and SR 30 in the southwest valley, meanwhile I-10 is our only option which is a clogged mess.

The west valley has the highest growth rate of any other part of the Phoenix area so transportation projects should be focussed a little more on west valley cities to keep up with the rapid growth.

This includes getting the reliever freeways built, expanding light rail and bus service, and even adding commuter rail.
Well, the West Valley has gotten a lot of funding on the Loop 303 expansion and freeway conversion, so the West Valley isn't completely in the dark when it comes to Proposition 400 funding.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 9,320,805 times
Before we worry about the next city/town think about better coverage of the current cities. Only a very small percentage of people living in Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa live close enough to the light rail to efficiently use it. Even then it is slow compared to the car. Spreading feeder lines might encourage others to use it.

OTOH I don't think the current cities want to pay the bill. I am NOT proposing the above. Just pointing out that a one string line doesn't work so well in our metro area. You need a web or network of lines. What we have isn't even a good spine.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Before we worry about the next city/town think about better coverage of the current cities. Only a very small percentage of people living in Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa live close enough to the light rail to efficiently use it. Even then it is slow compared to the car. Spreading feeder lines might encourage others to use it.

OTOH I don't think the current cities want to pay the bill. I am NOT proposing the above. Just pointing out that a one string line doesn't work so well in our metro area. You need a web or network of lines. What we have isn't even a good spine.
That is why I created my dream color-coded light rail system that I mentioned in several other threads. You can find some information on it if you do a search on past threads about the light rail. Won't post any information about it here, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area