Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Speaking of old technology...remember how fun tapes were? I didn't catch the 8 track (is that what they were called? ) but I hated searching for the beginning of a song, kept having to stop and press play, then try again. They did come out with the system where they would stop on their own after a while.
Obviously, I'm not a hi-tech fan (hate figuring out gadgets and reading manuals), but to me sometimes technology goes backwards. I liked the fact that VHS tapes could be forwarded or rewinded as much as you want to, not going by stupid "chapters" like the DVDs (unless I haven't figured out there's another way, being technically challenged ). I have many hi8 tapes I used to play on the original camcorder which just quit on me. The camcorders are still available and I was thinking of buying another one, but they'll become obsolete sooner rather than later, so I have to convert them to DVDs. Well, I'm sorry, but I hate the "chapter" deal.

In other words, I don't want a machine to command me. I should be able to overwrite its opinion! Was searching for washers and dryers recently. Well, all the new fancy ones want to do all the thinking for me (the result being clothes not washed very well). Hey, some were connected with a cable - talking to each other (of course, once that goes out... there go out both of them) Thanks, but no thanks. If I wanna use more water, I will! Until it's made impossible, I suppose... say till next purchase... It's not like you can get a toilet flushing properly anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM

67 posts, read 226,414 times
Yes, its all changed for the good and the bad. Bad is because of the obvious...children on the internet with the perverts in waiting. Good because it makes life a little easier....I can't imagine what will be going on in 10 or 20 years from now....Maybe we won't have to do a thing..LOLOL! Heck, our cars can even drive for us now!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 PM

208 posts, read 819,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I liked the fact that VHS tapes could be forwarded or rewinded as much as you want to, not going by stupid "chapters" like the DVDs (unless I haven't figured out there's another way, being technically challenged ).
You definitely don't have to use the chapters to go forward or backward. On your remote you have the fast forward, which is the double right arrows, rewind, which are the double left arrows. The skip chapter buttons are either double left or right arrow, but the have a straight vertical line right after them.

Just use the double left or right arrows without the lines behind them.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/sbaker/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg (broken link)file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/sbaker/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
You definitely don't have to use the chapters to go forward or backward. On your remote you have the fast forward, which is the double right arrows, rewind, which are the double left arrows. The skip chapter buttons are either double left or right arrow, but the have a straight vertical line right after them.

Just use the double left or right arrows without the lines behind them.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/sbaker/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg (broken link)file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/sbaker/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg (broken link)
It's entirely possible! Gotta try. I'm really (beyond) pathetic in this area... Just plain hate gadgets. Don't replace anything until absolutely needed (read doesn't work). Having to figure out the replacement drives me nuts. A few years ago finally gave in to cell phones. Still dislike it. Don't answer it most of the time. Keep it mostly for emergencies and personal business matters. I keep most stuff in whatever setting it happens to be 'cause once I mess it up it'll get even worse. OK, that ought to be enough to present my tech skills! You probably don't wanna know how old my PC is...

Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,946,214 times
I'm the opposite, I love figuring out all the tech stuff, be it a new cell phone or a new car, I usually go through all the settings and figure out all the features right away.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I'm the opposite, I love figuring out all the tech stuff, be it a new cell phone or a new car, I usually go through all the settings and figure out all the features right away.
I know. Hardly any guys who aren't the opposite...

Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 AM

28 posts, read 136,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
Have you ever stopped to think how amazing technology is? I won't get on a huge rant, but when I think of my plans to move, it's amazing how easy it is now compared to...even 10 years ago.

I have all these people on the forum to give me advice about Phoenix, because of the Internet, I will be able to go anywhere in Phoenix, and not get lost because of my gps and its use satellites. I also have free (well I obviously pay a monthly bill) long distance because of my cell phone, and competition between companies.

This really would not have been possible, or at least as easy as it is now because of technology. I wonder what will happen in 10 more years? gps systems might have minute by minute updates, super fast internet connections, better lighter thinner monitors...I could go on and on.

I know this isn't necessarily a Phoenix post, but I did think about this specifically because of my Phoenix move, so I decided to post it here.
I'm 65 five years young and I positively love my computer!
I have grandchildren who would seldom take pen and paper to write a letter , but I hear from them on a weekly basis and sometimes more than that.
I have a myspace page where I see pictures of my family almost as fast as they are taken. I do get a little upset over the email crap sometimes, When People send the same stuff over and over again. I feel like blocking or deleting half of them , but I don't
To me it's just all so great. Want to take a drive out into the desert? Take along the laptop and never get lost...make your own maps as you go so you can find your way back to a particularly interesting or beautiful spot. Want to look up all kinds of information? Most of it is just a "click away.
Yeah, it's all good as far as I'm concerned!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 PM

27 posts, read 89,066 times
It is amazing what we enjoy here in the U.S,such as

1) Satellite TV

2) Satellite Radio

3) TIVO

4) Digital Cable

5) Electronic Navigators in our vehicles

6) Iphone

7) Computers and the Internet

8) MSN TV(Webtv)

9) Wireless Internet

10) Cell Phones

Their are still many other parts of the World that do not have any of these technologies available,but East Asia(Japan,China,Korea) is definately catching up with North America.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 26,366 times
Default PC stuff 'n' such...

It's ALL good... this from a very senior...

Love the technology; the angst; the cussing; and the satisfaction of coaxing cooperation out of it all... Excellent brain exercise...

What's next? Well, I'm waitin' fer the mind operated air travel vehicles - like that of on the movie 'Dune'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area