Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,372 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a family friendly, safe, diverse neighborhood, with a good school system, in Gilbert, AZ. We have three school aged children entering 9th, 7th and 4th grade. We are originally from the NYC / Philadelphia metro area, an extremely diverse part of the country. We have always been Roman Catholic, but ones religion was never an issue for us, until the last ten years or so.

For the last ten years we have lived in Herriman, Utah (a town in southwest Salt Lake County). Our neighborhood in Herriman is over 90% LDS, and Herriman is an overwhelmingly LDS populated town. For better or worse, the LDS literally run the state of Utah. I myself have worked for a predominantly LDS employer for 9 years. Being non-LDS and a non-native Utahn has made working for this employer very tasking, and advancement all but impossible. Our LDS neighbors at home have been interested in either converting us to Mormonism (when we first arrived here), or else treating us like we're invisible, or worse, been very disrespectful of us and/or harassed us. Our children have largely grown up friendless in this LDS dominated community replete with school-aged children. In short, we're 2nd class citizens here. Unfortunately, we've seen for ourselves just how poorly most LDS we have met and worked with here treat non-LDS people. For this reason, we're concerned about moving to any area where there is little diversity. To be put more directly, we're very concerned about moving into another LDS dominated area, in terms of quality of life at home, as well as working career potential.

Just some quick stats for those who might suggest that a high concentration of LDS residents somehow equates to cleaner, safer neighborhoods, let me say that Provo, Utah (population 50,000+ over 90% of whom are LDS) has a higher murder rate than does NYC (population 8.5 million). Our current home town of Herriman (over 75% LDS) has much higher crime across the spectrum than our previous home town of Pennington, NJ (virtually no LDS residents). A former colleague of mine here in Utah, himself an LDS ward bishop, once told me the LDS church preaches that their members be "tolerant" of non-LDS people in their midst. When we were growing up, we were taught to "accept" and "embrace" people of all races and creeds - a far more Christian philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
You realize that Gilbert is one of the more LDS influenced communities here, right? Not as high a percentage that you are experiencing now, but it has a very definite presence, especially with the new temple in town. You may want to look into other areas if that is already a concern for you.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
have you thought about just moving over to the City of SLC proper?.....Gentile majority!.....mayor participates in gay pride parade!.....hippies at 9th and 9th!....diversity galore!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
I wouldn't call Gilbert diverse by any means. It's pretty WASP, conservative but very very nice.

Try Chandler or Tempe for diversity.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Diversity and Gilbert are not usually spoken in the same sentence unless there is a "not" in it. The Mormons are a minority but they run everything - including the schools. They send their kids to the charters which have become de facto church schools and cut the budgets of the public schools to the point where the teachers and adminsitrators are leaving by the busload. I doubt it is as bad as a Utah community though and you will probably have plenty of friends unless you pick one of those subdivsions with the 6 bedroom homes. Consider next door Chandler.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-03-2015 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Why would you move to Gilbert of all places if you're trying to get away from Mormon cliquishness? Why did you zero in on the one valley city that is arguably the least diverse, in your search for diversity?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 PM

Default Is Gilbert, AZ an LDS dominated town?

In reply to "Wally Sconce" we have to say there's no "hate" here. We are speaking of our own personal experience with most of the members of the LDS faith whom we have lived amongst and worked closely over the last 10 years here in Utah. Our family's personal experience with most of the Utah LDS we have met here has taught us to be leery of them. We have endured their negative and/or indifferent treatment of ourselves and our school age children. If the truth offends you, might it be due to your own shortsightedness, or maybe your unwillingness to hear anything but positive views of the LDS? We have learned that an overwhelming majority, in our current situation the LDS, is not a good thing for the minority. The same might be said of any dominating majority group. Human history supports us in this opinion. The LDS here in Utah like to say that Utah has a very "homogenous" culture - which we have learned means they are not open to other ways or differing points of view.

I personally do extensive business travel around the country, mostly west of the Rockies and particularly in the intermountain region. I have worked closely with members of the LDS church in Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming, and they seem to me to be of a different breed from the LDS with whom I have worked closely and lived amongst here in Utah as they seem to be more open minded and much less judgmental. We supported Mitt Romney in his presidential bid in 2012, even volunteering for and contributing financially to his presidential election effort. In our opinion, he was a much better man and candidate than Obama, and his policies would have been better for America.

My wife and I are well to the right of center regarding the political spectrum, having proudly voted twice for Ronald Reagan (if only the republicans had a man like Reagan running now). We strongly support the right to keep and bear arms, and AZ is a "Constitutional Carry" state. We enjoy the sunny warm dry climate southern AZ offers. We don't like cold winter climates, be they the cold dry winters of northern Utah, or the frigid damp bone numbing winters back in the northeast. We're not interested in attending gay pride parades here, in AZ, or anywhere else for that matter, but we wouldn't discriminate against gays either. We're not "hippies" and we believe in teaching our children to be honest, hard working, productive, honorable members of society. We believe in personal accountability and responsibility. We believe in treating others with dignity and respect. We endeavor to avoid anyone who shows bigoted disdain for others, especially when it is without just cause.

So why are we looking for feedback about Gilbert, AZ? During business trips to Phoenix, AZ, clients of mine have recommended Gilbert, AZ as one of the best Phoenix area towns to raise a family. Online, Gilbert appears to be a nice place to live.

We're simply concerned about falling under the thumb of a bigoted LDS majority again, as we have in Utah.

Last edited by UnhappyInHerriman; 08-03-2015 at 09:51 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Chandler, Scottsdale and south Tempe are arguably better places to raise a family without the LDS meddling in the schools. I'd look at those cities over Gilbert any day.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Diversity and Gilbert are not usually spoken in the same sentence unless there is a "not" in it. The Mormons are a minority but they run everything - including the schools. They send their kids to the charters which have become de facto church schools and cut the budgets of the public schools to the point where the teachers and adminsitrators are leaving by the busload. I doubt it is as bad as a Utah community though and you will probably have plenty of friends unless you pick one of those subdivsions with the 6 bedroom homes. Consider next door Chandler.
Can you elaborate on your defunding / budget cutting comments as it pertains to the Gilbert public schools in favor of the charter "de facto church" schools? Where can this be verified? Is it impacting all of the Gilbert public schools, or only certain ones, in which case which ones? Gilbert clearly appears to be the safest town in AZ based upon our limited research. Highland H.S. appears to be the best academically performing high school in the city as well, at least as of April 2015 when we last visited.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:25 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyInHerriman View Post
Can you elaborate on your defunding / budget cutting comments as it pertains to the Gilbert public schools in favor of the charter "de facto church" schools? Where can this be verified? Is it impacting all of the Gilbert public schools, or only certain ones, in which case which ones? Gilbert clearly appears to be the safest town in AZ based upon our limited research. Highland H.S. appears to be the best academically performing high school in the city as well, at least as of April 2015 when we last visited.
I will give you but one link. You can find dozens more by googling for controversy in Gilbert schools. Some of this has died down since the voters booted a few of the board members in the most recent election.

Letter: A plea to fix GPS school board's priorities - East Valley Tribune: Gilbert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area