Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:09 PM

202 posts, read 408,417 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just bought a house in Avondale with a pool and spa. I am having issues with the heater not working. I need that diagnosed/fixed, and also need someone trustworthy for weekly pool service (chemicals and cleaning). The few I've contacted never responded. Apparently, business must be good for them, to just blow off potential customers.

Anyone have any recommendations? For repairs as well as weekly service. Thanks VERY much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Yes, go to thumbtack.com and sign up. Search for a pool guy there. I have all of my home maintenance needs taken care of people I find via thumbtack.com

Old 11-11-2015, 01:39 PM

I'll try that, thanks! I've reached out to about 10 so far and not a single one has responded. What a horrible work ethic!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Well, I had one guy from Thumbtack come out to look at it. I'm questioning his diagnosis though, so I'm now looking for a second opinion. What a pain in my behind!

Last edited by yellowbelle; 11-17-2015 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: refer to TOS re: language

Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM

61 posts, read 190,420 times
Post at troublefreepool.com for a second opinion. You'll get plenty of responses trying to sort you out. Be warned that they do push "pool water testing" as the be-all and end-all of any pool problem because the site owners also sell test kits. But the community is knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 AM

Thanks! I've got a post there as well. I've only had one person helping out thus far. He's been helpful in educating me, but we haven't been able to identify anything yet. He's telling me the valves are adjusted incorrectly, but that wouldn't explain the heater cycling off and on (and ultimately shutting down with an error code) like it is, as flow through the heater seems fine.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:43 AM

64 posts, read 57,331 times
Hi Eric,

It could be a couple different things.

I need to know a couple things...

What kind of filter do you have?

Do you have a multi port valve?

Can you take a picture for me?

What kind of heater do you have?

What is your psi on your filter?

Things it could be...

If you have a DE filter it may need to be cleaned. Not just back-washed but, pulled completely out and thoroughly cleaned. Sometimes filters get too dirty and it does not allow enough psi to go through the heater, and the heater will turn on and off.

It could be your pressure switch on your heater. Sometimes they go out and just need to be replaced. It's a pretty easy fix.

Sometimes the impeller in your pump can get clogged and not allowing enough water to go through the filter and heater. If this is the case, you can usually take small screw driver and clean it out.

It could also be a suction leak. The pool pump will prime and then lose prime due to a suction leak. The heater will also turn off and on as your pump loses suction.

Last edited by daspurs; 11-19-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 09:35 AM

Hi, and THANKS for your input. I'm responding on my cell, so I apologize if I missed something.

I have a Hayward C5520CP cartridge filter. The elements do need to be replaced, but I don't think flow us the primary issue. I'll explain why after I answer your other questions.

I'm not sure what you mean by multi-port valve. There are many valves there. See pics.

The heater is a Hayward H400 natural gas unit. I was told the vacuum pressure switch was replaced just before I bought the home, as the heater wouldn't even fire before that.

Pressure at the filter is about 21psi. Too high, I know. That's those damn filter elements, I think.

Here's the weird thing... When I leave the heater on, it will cycle on and off about three times, and then shut down and throw a LO code. I can hear the grumbling popcorn-y sound inside the heater. When I check the water at the relief valve on the return line of the heater, the water is cold. Not even slightly warm. my thought is there's an obstruction inside the heater. Either the diverter valve in the heater manifold, or scale buildup inside the exchanger. Does that sound possible? I haven't had time to really get into it yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151108_104141-picsay.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	161340

Name:	20151108_104229-picsay.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	161341

Name:	20151108_104133-picsay.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	161342

Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 AM

Oh and thank you again for your help!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM

64 posts, read 57,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
Oh and thank you again for your help!
Hey Eric,

Sounds like you have build-up inside your heat exchanger. I've never tried to clean one out, just replace them or it's time for a new heater. you can take the heat exchanger out and drop it off at the metal yard to get some money back (it's all copper). See if you can take off those unions and double check and if you have time take off the rear header. You will definitely know then.. Oh and no prob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: