Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,363 times

Advertisements

So like pretty much everyone I have gone to the fair for quite a few years. It has really gotten crummier as the years go on with this last one, pretty crummy. Every year I talk to out of Staters and not even one person from out of State has anything good to say about this fair. I have heard everything from this is a joke, to this is a rip, to this is a total pit. Which I tend to agree with. As you all know the prices to go to that thing is astronomical (not all of us are wealthy so please save your shots) and it's quite literally a rip off. A cup of cheap beer is 10 bucks!! To play the fixed dumb games is about ridiculous as well. Everything is really just a rolling price gouging. In the big green building where they have the market stuff, I was in there talking to the guy that sells the caramel apples last year when the economy was bad (workers had no money to spend) and the freaking a-hole said this "People in Phoenix are cheap a-holes" and that "He's not coming back because he can't make money" yet this complete a-hole was getting ridiculous money for his crappy dumb apples. GEE moron, maybe if you IDIOTS dropped your prices to something actually reasonable people would buy your crap, right? Anyways, I'm not going to the fair anymore. Save your time and money. It really is a pit of highway robbery.

Actually the only good thing this year was the "smash up derby cars" which although it was quite pitiful, at least it was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM

975 posts, read 1,406,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMadMax View Post
So like pretty much everyone I have gone to the fair for quite a few years. It has really gotten crummier as the years go on with this last one, pretty crummy. Every year I talk to out of Staters and not even one person from out of State has anything good to say about this fair. I have heard everything from this is a joke, to this is a rip, to this is a total pit. Which I tend to agree with. As you all know the prices to go to that thing is astronomical (not all of us are wealthy so please save your shots) and it's quite literally a rip off. A cup of cheap beer is 10 bucks!! To play the fixed dumb games is about ridiculous as well. Everything is really just a rolling price gouging. In the big green building where they have the market stuff, I was in there talking to the guy that sells the caramel apples last year when the economy was bad (workers had no money to spend) and the freaking a-hole said this "People in Phoenix are cheap a-holes" and that "He's not coming back because he can't make money" yet this complete a-hole was getting ridiculous money for his crappy dumb apples. GEE moron, maybe if you IDIOTS dropped your prices to something actually reasonable people would buy your crap, right? Anyways, I'm not going to the fair anymore. Save your time and money. It really is a pit of highway robbery.

Actually the only good thing this year was the "smash up derby cars" which although it was quite pitiful, at least it was fun.
The best way to do the state fair is to get the free admission from Fry's. I forgot their exact requirements but if you spend a certain amount at Fry's, they include 2 free fair admissions on your receipt.

State Fairs are always gimmicks. Arizona probably has one of the best state fairs in the country. They actually have decent acts (although this year was a little lacking) for their concerts and the livestock auction / exhibits are generally pretty interesting. I don't do the carnival rides as most of them make me sick.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:35 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:

Just curious, what age range do you fall into? I have a sneaky suspicion that you've got quite a few valuable lessons to learn in life yet.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,846 times
The fair isn't that bad. You have to go on the days that have promotions to reduce the price, e.g. the unlimited rides wristband if you have kids, or the free admission days, or arriving before a certain time to get in for like $2, that kind of thing. I only ever go on weekdays during the other day, otherwise it is an absolute madhouse.

I've been to a number of state fairs and the more rural ones have a better "feeling" to them and have better agricultural exhibits, but if you're there for the rides and the games and the food and the concerts, the AZ fair has as much of that as anyone. Personally I would like to see more ag exhibits, more kids' artwork exhibits, that kind of thing, versus more games and food, but I realize I'm in the small minority of fairgoers.

One thing to consider about the cost of fair food, Mad Max, is that they have to pay a rental fee to the fairgrounds, which I think can be a lot of money, plus they travel around the country following the fair schedules so I'm sure they have a lot more expenses than the apples at your local grocery store. That said, are some carnies going to be not the nicest people? Yep.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:51 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,041 times
Quote:

Next time tell us how you REALLY feel!

I personally have no ax to grind regarding the Arizona State Fair. Most, if not all state fairs, run pretty much the same with exceptions here and there. All is well, in my unbiased opinion.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 PM

988 posts, read 683,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Next time tell us how you REALLY feel!

I personally have no ax to grind regarding the Arizona State Fair. Most, if not all state fairs, run pretty much the same with exceptions here and there. All is well, in my unbiased opinion.
^This.

The midways are all the same, with the exception of a few local touches. As soon as the Arizona State Fair is over, the carnies pack up and set up the same show in another town.

Why rip on it? If you don't like it, don't go. My wife and I love to walk around fairs. They are a pretty solid piece of Americana. And the animals are awesome.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:03 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,284,995 times
Quote:
Criticism of the Phoenix State Fair
My only criticism would be to point out that Phoenix isn't a state.

Other than that I'll pass as I've never been there.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM

504 posts, read 853,211 times
*shrug* The 2 dollars to get in on the weekends didn't seem bad at all to me.

Wandered around, looked at all of the animals, checked out the arts & crafts and such. Spent a few dollars on a small gelato that was really good. Found a very pretty blouse from one of the vendors for 20 bucks, and also bought a couple of Christmas presents from a different vendor with some neat stuff. There was a brewery giving out free beer samples. All in all, it was an enjoyable day.

I am honestly not sure what you were expecting, as it's fairly typical for a State Fair judging by the few different ones I've been to.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,478,481 times
Just remember: if you see an exhibit at the fair's midway advertising the World's Tallest Midget or one advertising the World's Shortest Giant, it's the same guy and you're about to get ripped off.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
The best way to do the state fair is to get the free admission from Fry's. I forgot their exact requirements but if you spend a certain amount at Fry's, they include 2 free fair admissions on your receipt.

State Fairs are always gimmicks. Arizona probably has one of the best state fairs in the country. They actually have decent acts (although this year was a little lacking) for their concerts and the livestock auction / exhibits are generally pretty interesting. I don't do the carnival rides as most of them make me sick.

No, just no.

I can tell you that the Iowa State Fair is one of the best fairs in the country. It has been listed as "Top 100 things to do before you die" by USA Today magazine. It is probably at least 6 or 8 times the size of the AZ fair in terms of permanent buildings, permanent bars, the grandstand, and professional stages throughout. The AZ state fair is TINY. I went, with low expectations, and I was still a bit disappointed.

I would go to the Iowa State Fair an average of 5 times over the almost 2 weeks it was open, the AZ fair...2 hours was PLENTY of time. The best thing I can say was at least I got in free (thanks Fry's!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area