U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,231,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
I don’t see a single reason why someone from N or S Carolina would want to move to Phoenix. They already have an ocean, mountains, lakes, cheap taxes in SCarolina affordable housing and not all boring brown cookie cutter junk houses, trees, grass, decent weather, etc. ok maybe a hurricane every one in a while but it keeps things interesting

Carolinas, especially coastal Carolina, isn’t a bad spot to be. Somewhat of a untapped hidden gem market.

Inland Carolina maybe not so much, but coastal Carolina is a great spot to be.

I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix. It's great....from the scenic sunsets, various hiking trails, awesome weather, palm trees, plethora of restaurants, affordable cost of living, vast open spaces...Shall I go on...Trust me you couldn't get this in Charlotte.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 PM

3,256 posts, read 2,253,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
I don’t see a single reason why someone from N or S Carolina would want to move to Phoenix. They already have an ocean, mountains, lakes, cheap taxes in SCarolina affordable housing and not all boring brown cookie cutter junk houses, trees, grass, decent weather, etc. ok maybe a hurricane every one in a while but it keeps things interesting

Carolinas, especially coastal Carolina, isn’t a bad spot to be. Somewhat of a untapped hidden gem market.

Inland Carolina maybe not so much, but coastal Carolina is a great spot to be.
There aren't any bigger cities near coastal Carolina. Most folks are either in Raleigh or Charlotte and if you want to go to the Outer Banks or Myrtle beach you're talking roughly the same drive as heading to Rocky Point from Phoenix. Mountains are also pretty far from both places 2 hours from Charlotte to Asheville and about 4 from Raleigh, you're basically living in hilly forested cities, which can be perfectly nice but you're not in mountains and you're not on the beach.

You've also got a pretty hefty cost of living to contend with, at least in the nicer suburbs in Raleigh that I'm more familiar with and some pretty bad traffic both around Raleigh and Charlotte. You do get 4 seasons, unfortunately that also includes ice storms and hurricanes along with summers that aren't really a whole lot better than what we experience in Phoenix. I've personally had a few options to live in NC but after visiting rather frequently I did not find it to be a fit for me.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,231,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
There aren't any bigger cities near coastal Carolina. Most folks are either in Raleigh or Charlotte and if you want to go to the Outer Banks or Myrtle beach you're talking roughly the same drive as heading to Rocky Point from Phoenix. Mountains are also pretty far from both places 2 hours from Charlotte to Asheville and about 4 from Raleigh, you're basically living in hilly forested cities, which can be perfectly nice but you're not in mountains and you're not on the beach.

You've also got a pretty hefty cost of living to contend with, at least in the nicer suburbs in Raleigh that I'm more familiar with and some pretty bad traffic both around Raleigh and Charlotte. You do get 4 seasons, unfortunately that also includes ice storms and hurricanes along with summers that aren't really a whole lot better than what we experience in Phoenix. I've personally had a few options to live in NC but after visiting rather frequently I did not find it to be a fit for me.

^^^THIS...Spot on with your comment!....Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 PM

75 posts, read 96,162 times
Hey thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I had no idea it was there (since I'm new to this City Data thing). You'll see my thread I started about 3 weeks ago maybe? "Possible move to AZ from NC..." ... so yeah, this thread definitely got my attention.

Bert from the East... Yeah, wow. Much of the things he mentioned are very inaccurate, so I wonder just how much time he spent here in NC exactly, where, & when? .... Greensboro has quite a diverse population: Hispanic, Black, Indian, Muslim, Asian, American...... and Raleigh has the same, if not more. I don't know a lot about the medical difference in here vs CA ... but I thought we were good on cardiologists.

Anyway... so let me tell you that today we actually had a tornado touch down in Greensboro! And Reidsville too! Man, my sisters and I just spent the weekend at Wrightsville Beach... and coming back I had to pull over b/c it was raining so hard. I also got a tornado warning alert on my phone AS I'M DRIVING and buckets of rain slow me down to maybe 30 mph on a 65mph interstate! ... In all of my 17 yrs of living here in Greensboro, that was the 2nd tornado warning that I can remember. So I pulled under the bridge, put on the hazard lights, and walked way up under the bridge b/c holy cow, who knew where that tornado was!?... Live coverage was on when I finally made it home. Whew.. crazy. A house here in Greensboro was picked up off it's foundation (with people inside) and was placed back down. Another dude was literally trying to drive away from it (it was very close) but flying debris smashed the back window of his pick-up truck. ....... I can't get out to AZ fast enough! 2020/2021 is soooo far from now.

NC weather is just wacky. Lol...

AZ is just intriguing to me. I've seen the Atlantic ocean a million times, now I want to see the Pacific Ocean since AZ is so close to it. It's just time to get away from the humidity & cold/icy weather. Gotta change it up for a few years at least.

I hope that former NC residents will add to this thread... but I believe I'll be heading out that way regardless. ��

Hey AZ is on the news... �� Politics.. fun!

Last edited by Smile37; 04-15-2018 at 11:26 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,486,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix. It's great....from the scenic sunsets, various hiking trails, awesome weather, palm trees, plethora of restaurants, affordable cost of living, vast open spaces...Shall I go on...Trust me you couldn't get this in Charlotte.
She is right. As one who moved from Charlotte (Loved it so much I thought I would never leave) to Phoenix many years ago, I began longing for what I remembered about living back east. I started talking with my family about moving back to Charlotte and planned a visit. During our visit, we drove around the city and noticed all the new developments and the light rail. We visited friends we hadn't seen in yearz and drove through our old neighborhood to see who was living in our former house. The growth of the city was impressive, but, long story short, we decided Arizona was a better fit for our family at this time.
Westcoastbabe, your feedback to me was spot on during that time. (Even though I struggled to hear it!)

NC is a beautiful state with mountains, a coast and friendly people. We hope to visit...often.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM

40 posts, read 28,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile37 View Post
Hey thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I had no idea it was there (since I'm new to this City Data thing). You'll see my thread I started about 3 weeks ago maybe? "Possible move to AZ from NC..." ... so yeah, this thread definitely got my attention.

Bert from the East... Yeah, wow. Much of the things he mentioned are very inaccurate, so I wonder just how much time he spent here in NC exactly, where, & when? .... Greensboro has quite a diverse population: Hispanic, Black, Indian, Muslim, Asian, American...... and Raleigh has the same, if not more. I don't know a lot about the medical difference in here vs CA ... but I thought we were good on cardiologists.

Anyway... so let me tell you that today we actually had a tornado touch down in Greensboro! And Reidsville too! Man, my sisters and I just spent the weekend at Wrightsville Beach... and coming back I had to pull over b/c it was raining so hard. I also got a tornado warning alert on my phone AS I'M DRIVING and buckets of rain slow me down to maybe 30 mph on a 65mph interstate! ... In all of my 17 yrs of living here in Greensboro, that was the 2nd tornado warning that I can remember. So I pulled under the bridge, put on the hazard lights, and walked way up under the bridge b/c holy cow, who knew where that tornado was!?... Live coverage was on when I finally made it home. Whew.. crazy. A house here in Greensboro was picked up off it's foundation (with people inside) and was placed back down. Another dude was literally trying to drive away from it (it was very close) but flying debris smashed the back window of his pick-up truck. ....... I can't get out to AZ fast enough! 2020/2021 is soooo far from now.

NC weather is just wacky. Lol...

AZ is just intriguing to me. I've seen the Atlantic ocean a million times, now I want to see the Pacific Ocean since AZ is so close to it. It's just time to get away from the humidity & cold/icy weather. Gotta change it up for a few years at least.

I hope that former NC residents will add to this thread... but I believe I'll be heading out that way regardless. ��

Hey AZ is on the news... �� Politics.. fun!
Sounds like fun too me! Know what we did here the past week? Watched the rocks get hot, followed by watching them get filthy due to our dirt hurricane.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 PM

7,815 posts, read 5,202,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sder View Post
Sounds like fun too me! Know what we did here the past week? Watched the rocks get hot, followed by watching them get filthy due to our dirt hurricane.
Sounds like you need a hobby.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:55 AM

3,256 posts, read 2,253,635 times
Quote:
That was your own choice, we were out hiking/biking, went to a festival and had a bbq. We are enjoying the weather.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 AM

16,911 posts, read 22,017,783 times
Quote:
Sounds like you need to move.

(we did, but for reasons totally different than your issues.)

Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 PM

40 posts, read 28,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sounds like you need to move.

(we did, but for reasons totally different than your issues.)
Yeah I probably do. I’ve had my “fill” of desert living, been here for almost 10 years now & the honeymoon is definitely over. I like the laid back, somewhat “west coast” vibe & most of the people I’ve met are cool, although the ones who think this is paradise are crazy to me, I think the heat warps your brain after a while.

I’m a pretty big weather buff so for someone like me this is pretty much the most boring place you could be. Everyday is the same, it’s like the movie Groundhog Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area