Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times

Advertisements

Beginning to see a lot Carolina tags here in Phoenix metro area and was just wondering whether or not there's an influx of Carolinians on the way to Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Hmmm. I have not seen one license plate from the Carolinas. I think once they get there, they are pretty happy and don't leave.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
If you see a North or South Carolina tag in the Phoenix area and it's not a rental car, I'll bet ten to one it's someone originally from California whose returning to the West, but priced out of California.

During the real estate boom of the mid-2000's, lots of people who cashed out of the California real estate market ended up in North Carolina. That's not to mention that there's a huge pipeline between San Jose and Raleigh due to the tech industry as well as San Diego and Raleigh due to big pharma and R&D.

If it's not someone who's originally from California, it's more than likely someone from the Northeast, Midwest or Florida who moved to the Carolinas and realized those states weren't all they're cracked up to be - cold, icy winters; religious, socially conservative culture; high taxes (at least in NC); low wages/salaries; poor non-wage benefits; lousy race relations; poor healthcare; lack of acceptance and general distrust of "Yankees" and people who aren't part of the "good ol' boy" network; etc.

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever met a North or South Carolina native in Arizona. People in that part of the country tend to have interests that revolve around either the ocean or the deep woods, so for many, Arizona would never even be a consideration if relocating.

Also, don't forget - lots of people in the Carolinas are black, and there's very little in the way of black culture in Arizona relative to most other areas of the country. Most people in Arizona are either white or Mexican.

Lastly, a lot of Carolina folk are "deeply religious" Evangelicals, and Arizona is one of the least religious states in the country. IMO, it feels even less religious than California. I don't think many "through-and-through" Southerners would be very pleased with that.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 12-23-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 AM

WOW! Generalize much?

Old 12-25-2015, 10:01 AM

214 posts, read 401,739 times
Merry Christmas WCB.

Many of us got rid of the NC plates very shortly after we arrived.

Although we planned to leave years before the Dan River spill happened, it shed a national light on the coal ash problem plaguing the Southeastern U.S. I am seeing a lot of NY, NJ and FL plates out my way in the West Valley. I think more folks are seeing that AZ may be a better retirement/relocation alternative.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:22 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Beginning to see a lot Carolina tags here in Phoenix metro area and was just wondering whether or not there's an influx of Carolinians on the way to Phoenix?
This .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

Also, don't forget - lots of people in the Carolinas are black, and there's very little in the way of black culture in Arizona relative to most other areas of the country. Most people in Arizona are either white or Mexican.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:40 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
WOW! Generalize much?
The generalization is not nearly as troubling as is the simple ignorance of many of the statements.
Raleigh says "Hi, Y'all" ...

Old 12-26-2015, 09:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
All the Carolina tags I've seen (all NC) have been rentals.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Resurrecting thread from (2) years ago. Would love to know how your experience has been since moving to the Phoenix metro area.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:39 AM

Any recent transplants from the Carolinas or the MidAtlantic region.? Would love to know what you think? Are you much happier or do you miss the east coast.??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area