Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:58 AM

299 posts, read 440,301 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been meaning to try Cartel. I tried Lolas in DT Phoenix and it was great!! I'm from the Bay Area... so I'm trying to find the scoop on the best coffee. I understand we're not San Fran or Portland Or. but I hear there's a few good coffee shops

Coffee Shops - Arizona Coffee

I also found this little gem for anyone who's interested! I plan to visit all of these before I'm done with grad. school. heh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I'm sticking with the corporate giant, Starbucks. Nobody else ever, ever beats their taste, availability, or variety. Sure, they may beat their prices, but I don't drink prices. All other coffee shops are wannabes, and taste like plastic, watered-down versions of the real deal.
Starbs is great before work... / during the drive-thru

but I just don't like the atmosphere there.. too corporate. -.- I prefer studying in independent coffee shops...

Old 12-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Starbucks burns their coffee by leaving it out too long. However, I have yet to really find a coffee shop I Enjoy in the Phoenix area mainly because I haven't looked. In Tucson I like Cartel Coffee Lab and Raging Sage. The only one I can think of is Ground Control in Avondale but it's been ages since I've been over there.

AJs also sells a lot of local roasts some are great some aren't. I have been on a New Mexican Piñon Coffee kick lately. Would recommend that.

I don't do coffee drinks, I like my coffee dark roasted and black. Starbucks is gross for that purpose.

EDIT: TIL Phoenix also has Cartel Coffee Lab. Check it out OP.
I actually just tried a cappuccino from AJ's in Dana Park... I was pleasantly surprised.

I definitely want to try Cartel. I've heard great things.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Cartel is good but man are they pricey. I used to get iced coffee from the Old Town location in my college days. I honestly don't go out of my way for coffee. Dunkin and Dutch Bros are up the street and I find both to have decent coffee (Dunkin actually has great iced coffee).
I prefer Dutch to Starbucks... but the drive-thru Dutch line is always SO long... And the line at my local starbs isn't awful if you go inside. I don't think i've ever tried coffee at Dunkin'.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
No Starbucks doesn't count...they specialize in desserts.

I've been meaning to try Provision Coffee Bar in Chandler. Hopefully I will soon.

There is another place in Chandler that I have bookmarked on Yelp (but haven't gone), it's called Peixoto Coffee. It appears to be pretty legit family own place, and the family even owns the farm in Brazil were their coffee beans are grown. Lounge | Peixoto Coffee

If you are ever in Gilbert, stop by the Liberty Marketplace in downtown, they have an espresso bar that features Stumptown. Or there is also Bergies Coffee Roast House (Bergies Coffee Roast House - 106 Photos - Coffee & Tea - Gilbert, AZ - Reviews - Yelp) which I also haven't had a chance to check out, but it appears they take their coffee seriously as they even offer classes on brewing methods.

If anyone has been to these, I would appreciate feedback as well...though I intend to go soon. Unfortunately, I'm the only coffee lover in my family. My dad is satisfied with instant coffee, my mother only ever drinks coffee frappucino from Starbucks, and my sister will only visit a cafe with me if they have some version of a chai latte. Sigh.
Awesome!! Thanks so much. I will check all of these out. I actually live in Gilbert, so the trip won't be too far for me. I also went to Chop-Shop and they have a very good chai-latte, although it's not exactly a "coffee-shop"

Lol! My family all makes their own coffee too. I just love going to a unique coffee shop and trying out their coffee/ pastries. I am fairly new to Phoenix-metro... so I'm trying to get a scoop on all the best places. So far, most everyone has been raving about "Cartel"

Old 12-26-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
If you're looking for more central Phoenix locations and don't mind reading through a yelpers reviews, this chica appears to have a good comprehensive list going: AZ Coffee Culture-- - Phoenix | Yelp

I've bookmarked a few for myself that stood out from her list, like Giant Coffee, Rollover Doughnuts and Lola's.
Thank you! Awesome list. I will be sure to bookmark all of these.

Coffee Shops - Arizona Coffee -- Check out this list too.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm partial to Fair Trade Cafe at 1st Ave and Roosevelt.
This looks awesome!! thank you. I just went to Roosevelt, but for some reason I missed this little shop. It looks wonderful.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For those who love flavored beans, go out of your way to try this Zavida Coffee® Hazelnut Vanilla Whole Bean - 2lb - Sam's Club . It's stocked in the PHX area. It's about $11 for 2 pounds. I've attempted to find a better flavored bean and I've yet to find a better brew. I've been buying this item for years. Squeeze the package to take a whiff of the coffee. It's like walking into a coffee shop. It smells (and tastes) amazing. They now make a Keurig 2.0 version @ Sams. Save your $$'s, the Keurig version is NOT in the same league.
Thank you! This looks lovely.

I've been meaning to try some good farmers-markets in the area...

Are there any you suggest??? I heard Gilbert FM is good.... and it's easy to get to since I'm in the area, but I'm willing to drive to try some others

Old 12-26-2015, 01:07 PM

127 posts, read 171,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
Where are you coming from?? I just moved from the Bay-Area 1 year ago. I attend ASU for grad. school and am working in Downtown Phoenix. I'm here 2.5 more years.... trying to make the best of it
We're coming from New York. Upstate, but I work in the city and work in a caffeine-heavy industry. My favorite place far is at the Third Rail, near NYU, if you ever happen by it. Rich, oily, very little acid. Friendly little spot to stop off and down about eight shots of espresso.

I know some people genuinely love that "Ashtray Roast" or whatever one wants to call it that they use at Starbucks, but I figure it's really just easy to mass produce it that way without worrying about what the original beans were like (they all taste the same after they've been cremated) and then they push sugary mixers.

We're in Scottsdale for a week through New Year's, and will check out Cartel's Scottsdale location for sure.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,448 times
Thanks for that list. More add to mine! Haha. Last year I did a "staycation" where I checked out a different sunset in a differen location everyday for a week (I live in Orange County, here with family for the winter), and then followed it with coffee at a local neighborhood cafe. Seriously one of my best ideas as it forced me to check out and appreciate places in my own backyard, and also the local coffee culture in the great LA area. I think I would like to try that in greater Phoenix too, as Arizona has beautiful sunsets...and as it appears, more than enough unique coffee shops for a week's worth.

Cartel appears to be Phoenix's answer to Portland's Stumptown, Chicago's Intelligentsia, San Francisco's Blue Bottle and LA's Cafecito Organico...all regional third wave coffee shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area