Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,326 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I did a search but noticed that my case is rather unique so I typed out this post.

Some quick info: I'm turning 22 next year, Chinese Male and was born in Phoenix. For the past 10 years I have lived with my Parents in the also sunny city of Singapore (South of Malaysia).

After some reflection over the past couple of months I have decided to move on from Singapore and start afresh back in the States. Currently, I have around 8,000 USD in savings along with a GCE 'O' Level Cert (Equivalent to a High School Diploma) and a Diploma in Mass Communications which I earned from a Local Singaporean Polytechnic (Some credits are able to be transferred). Furthermore, I have experience working in a Public Relations agency for around 6 months as an Intern.

As of the moment, I have no friends or family over in Tempe and will be touching down with not much help. Thus, I am looking at roommates rather than renting a place on my own for the first 6 months to help me make contacts and friends in the area. My mid-term plan is to work part-time or full-time for about a year to gain some Residency rights and then take my SATs to get into a Communications Degree at ASU. Long-term wise, its get into the field of Public Relations/Media which I love and am comfortable with.

I will be moving sometime in March/April so I'm wondering if its too early to be searching for rentals/roommates at the moment?

Couple of questions:
  • Do you guys think my plan is viable thus far?
  • What kind of neighbourhoods are suitable for someone like me?
  • I notice the rental is around $500 - $700 a month with a roommate is this viable with me working full time? Wouldn't want to touch my savings much except for initial start-up costs.
  • I chose Tempe because of its reputable Public Transport system, does it live up to the hype?
  • Other than that, I would love to know about the Nightlife and culture in Tempe, I decided to moved out of Singapore because of my desire to find myself in a more culturally vibrant place as well. Does Tempe fit that bill?
  • Lastly, what is the right pronunciation of 'Tempe'?

Cheers and have a good day ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielsonlow View Post
Hi all,

I did a search but noticed that my case is rather unique so I typed out this post.

Some quick info: I'm turning 22 next year, Chinese Male and was born in Phoenix. For the past 10 years I have lived with my Parents in the also sunny city of Singapore (South of Malaysia).

After some reflection over the past couple of months I have decided to move on from Singapore and start afresh back in the States. Currently, I have around 8,000 USD in savings along with a GCE 'O' Level Cert (Equivalent to a High School Diploma) and a Diploma in Mass Communications which I earned from a Local Singaporean Polytechnic (Some credits are able to be transferred). Furthermore, I have experience working in a Public Relations agency for around 6 months as an Intern.

As of the moment, I have no friends or family over in Tempe and will be touching down with not much help. Thus, I am looking at roommates rather than renting a place on my own for the first 6 months to help me make contacts and friends in the area. My mid-term plan is to work part-time or full-time for about a year to gain some Residency rights and then take my SATs to get into a Communications Degree at ASU. Long-term wise, its get into the field of Public Relations/Media which I love and am comfortable with.

I will be moving sometime in March/April so I'm wondering if its too early to be searching for rentals/roommates at the moment?

Couple of questions:
  • Do you guys think my plan is viable thus far?
  • What kind of neighbourhoods are suitable for someone like me?
  • I notice the rental is around $500 - $700 a month with a roommate is this viable with me working full time? Wouldn't want to touch my savings much except for initial start-up costs.
  • I chose Tempe because of its reputable Public Transport system, does it live up to the hype?
  • Other than that, I would love to know about the Nightlife and culture in Tempe, I decided to moved out of Singapore because of my desire to find myself in a more culturally vibrant place as well. Does Tempe fit that bill?
  • Lastly, what is the right pronunciation of 'Tempe'?

Cheers and have a good day ahead.
The plan is viable, your rent requirement can land you an apartment by yourself or a fairly nice one with a roommate. Tempe has a good transit system (for Phoenix) but it's not great. Since you're you're young and in College Id strongly recommend a look at Northern Tempe or Southern Scottsdale.

As for the media field, ASU has a great journalism program with their own outlets so I'd definitely try to get involved in that, but media in general is pretty weak in Phoenix. Understand that ASU isn't a traditional cohesive unit and that the journalism program is actually in DT Phoenix, should you go this route find a place you can access the Light Rail or look downtown which is much quieter than Tempe. The preferred areas of downtown are north of Downtown.

Culture: Get drunk and party. Go to an ASU football game, come trashed then leave and get more trashed

Tempe is pronounced Temp-ee

Your plan is viable talk to an advisor at ASU stat get some FAFSA loans and then look for work, be humble everybody starts at the bottom but the opportunities are there.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,328,718 times
I always thought Tempe was pronounced TEM-pee, with stress on the TEM. After moving here I hear Tem-PEE more often, stress on the PEE.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I always thought Tempe was pronounced TEM-pee, with stress on the TEM. After moving here I hear Tem-PEE more often, stress on the PEE.
I only hear the TEM pronunciation on television by people who don't live in Az. (sports commentators, etc.) Proper accent is on the 2nd syllable, as you note.

To the OP- it is very possible to absorb the student/young adult culture in Tempe without getting trashed before going somewhere to get more trashed.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I only hear the TEM pronunciation on television by people who don't live in Az. (sports commentators, etc.) Proper accent is on the 2nd syllable, as you note.

To the OP- it is very possible to absorb the student/young adult culture in Tempe without getting trashed before going somewhere to get more trashed.
But what fun is that?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
But what fun is that?

You can have fun as a college student without getting "trashed". Lots of them do. I did, at ASU. It occurs to me that the OP might possibly not be interested in getting "trashed", so I said what I said. That's all.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 AM

640 posts, read 960,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Culture: Get drunk and party. Go to an ASU football game, come trashed then leave and get more trashed.
You forgot to say: then fill up on some Gus's or Hungry Howies pizza, or maybe even Filbertos!

Old 01-05-2016, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 12,848 times
OP: Is there anywhere else you can go? Speaking as a male Asian resident who was born here, this isn't exactly the most hospitable state to be in.

Quote:
Do you guys think my plan is viable thus far?
In the right area, yes, in AZ, no.

Quote:
What kind of neighbourhoods are suitable for someone like me?
You definitely targeted the right town. Tempe has the University there, so residents are younger and more diverse than it is elsewhere. Outside of Tempe, your odds will go down. You may be able to skate by if you have a job, but social life sucks here, especially so for Asians.

Quote:
I notice the rental is around $500 - $700 a month with a roommate is this viable with me working full time? Wouldn't want to touch my savings much except for initial start-up costs.
The rent is cheap (as are other housing in AZ) but it's a "looks too good to be true" trap. Jobs are in short supply and you have to travel outside of your town to find work.

Quote:
Other than that, I would love to know about the Nightlife and culture in Tempe, I decided to moved out of Singapore because of my desire to find myself in a more culturally vibrant place as well. Does Tempe fit that bill?
I think Tempe is fine, much better off than Phoenix and Mesa, that's for sure. Tempe has Mill Ave and they recently had the NYE block party. Shopping is pretty good as they have Arizona Mills (probably our best indoor mall)

Quote:
Lastly, what is the right pronunciation of 'Tempe'?
Tem, as in temple, and pee (pretty obvious lol)

Old 01-05-2016, 01:41 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,658,813 times
I thought it was pronounced TEM-PAY

Old 01-05-2016, 02:03 PM

169 posts, read 282,283 times
You have also posted this exact same posts on Reddit.

Where else on the internet have you spammed this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area