Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:08 PM

19,470 posts, read 28,036,197 times

Advertisements

We lived in the East Valley for 25+ years and loved all the Asian restaurants. We've been in Raleigh for 3.5 years and I still I miss Lee's Sandwiches. And the Mexican here sucks.

Anywho, every winter we come back to Phoenix for about ten days. Half the time is spent in the NW (specifically near 19th Ave and T-Bird) and the other half in Gold Canyon. While in GC, we hit some restaurants in the EV. During these trips we NEVER bother going downtown or to downtown Scottsdale or other areas except the NW and EV.

Looking for recommendations for restaurants in the NW or EV areas only. Preferably budget friendly. I know and have visited many of the old favorites, but I'm looking for those that are new or still remarkably good for the price. I don't care about atmosphere. I'm interested in good food, particularly Asian (not sushi), Mexican, pizza, or unusual ethnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,376,994 times
There are some good Vietnamese places in that NW area, I like Pholicious on Cactus a lot, I think it's at like 75th Ave and Cactus. Always my stop of choice when I'm out west/northwest. It's pretty affordable, probably 10-15 dollars a person depending on beverages and appetizers.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,282,161 times
My wife and I love Chino Bandido, Mexican Asian mix, we make the trip a few times a month from where we are located because the food is good. They are located at 19th Ave and Greenway and I think there is another location in the east valley but I'm not sure.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 12,854 times
I would recommend you check out Check Please! Arizona (there should be a website and online videos). I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for no problem.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,415 times
There is a place on Val Vista and Williams Field coincidentally called JK Gourmet (any relation) that has pretty good food.

Dobson and Main near the Mekong is a go to for authentic Chinese for me. They have Unphogettable (best Pho in town). Across the street is Asian Café Express, which the look alone will scare some away, but trust me on this one. They have different menus depending on how authentic you want and it is very affordable.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
There is a place on Val Vista and Williams Field coincidentally called JK Gourmet (any relation) that has pretty good food.

Dobson and Main near the Mekong is a go to for authentic Chinese for me. They have Unphogettable (best Pho in town). Across the street is Asian Café Express, which the look alone will scare some away, but trust me on this one. They have different menus depending on how authentic you want and it is very affordable.
We've eaten at jkgourmet (no relation), unphogettable and Asian Cafe either in previous vusits or when we still lived there. All were good, very well priced and I appreciate

We preferred Koa Huon (sp) in Tempe. But. . . That was last year!

Asia Cafe was very hit and miss when it first opened (maybe 2006-7?) and we stopped going (especially since Gourmet of Hong Kong was so close and, in those days, SO GOOD). I'm not surprised Asia Cafe improved.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
My wife and I love Chino Bandido, Mexican Asian mix, we make the trip a few times a month from where we are located because the food is good. They are located at 19th Ave and Greenway and I think there is another location in the east valley but I'm not sure.
We've been to both locations multiple times. It's been around forever, and deservedly.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 PM

6,314 posts, read 6,880,087 times
I forgot what TV show this restaurant was in but the restaurant is called "Thee Pitts Again" but is is a good price and and is good quality... It's on 55th Avenue and Bell Road.

There is a Mexican restaurant called Valle Luna also on Bell Road that is really good as well.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 PM

774 posts, read 845,030 times
Los Reyes de la Torta 2nd location on McClintock/Southern
TCTaco Mill/Southern awesome street tacos
Johnny's Burger & Dog's (formerly Lobby's) McClintock/Southern
ZZeek's Pizza & Wings Mill/Southern
Venezia's Mill/Southern

Old 01-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Los Reyes de la Torta 2nd location on McClintock/Southern
TCTaco Mill/Southern awesome street tacos
Johnny's Burger & Dog's (formerly Lobby's) McClintock/Southern
ZZeek's Pizza & Wings Mill/Southern
Venezia's Mill/Southern
Been to Venezia's. It was. . . Well, I can't remember. Mayve that says it all?
No real interest in in burgers and dogs.
BUT Los Reyes and TCT Taco - THESE ARE NEW TO ME and look great, Thank you, TempeAZ native.

Now - can we fill our lunches and dinners up in NW phoenix please? The idea of staying in thr LaQuinta and getting Papa John's and Church's chicken every night is very depressing !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area