Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,276,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Couldn't get pass page 7. These threads on race really bring out the ignorant racists.
So you want to string up some dumb teenage girls that posted the picture of a offensive word, that didn't even say the word to anyone? However, you are OK offending people in this thread by calling them "ignorant racists" when there has been nothing said that is racist in this thread?

So typical...

Old 01-24-2016, 03:36 PM

135 posts, read 150,383 times
Who are they targeting? The African American population in Phoenix is a mere 6.5%.

I would never consider a move to Phoenix because of the demographics - let alone triple digit degree days, unfathomable sprawl, etc.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,118,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Actually. There is no such African word as "Kumbaya". It's merely a 1926 USA folk song most recently made popular with Scouts singing while sitting around the campfire. The song more-or-less references getting along. Furthermore "Lord" isn't a dedicated Christian term. Lord has meaning to Jews, and Muslims too. "God" or "Lord" can be the flavor of choice. Even George Costanza and Festivus could reference their Lord. For me, I'm agnostic. I can site the source if you like.

Can we agree if someone wore T-Shirts spelling out a derogatory term and chuckled about Aspergers, you might find that offensive? I'm amazed at how much common sense is lacking in America.
I was adding a bit of sarcasm, I guess you missed it. *****Whoosh***** I've got no problem with someone being "offended" to a point. When being "offended" crosses over into craziness,blathering and accusations of mass racism of people you don't know then yes, there's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You do not have the power to tell someone else what they should or should not be offended by.

Again, if I started to refer to your wife, girlfriend, daughter, sister, mother or grandmother as B-words or C-words or referred to them as tramps or sl-ts you WOULD be offended. It does not matter that you are not a woman or the target of those words, YOU WOULD be offended.

But ultimately it does not matter that YOU do not find the N-word offensive....I do. And people like yourself are getting ready to learn a lesson. Those racist girls who are the spawn of racist parents are going to learn a very HARD lesson: the internet NEVER forgets...NEVER.
I never said I didn't find the word offensive, I just don't rate it as a stop the world, people need to be strung up for saying it. I also question how offensive it really is if it's still in use in the black community and the entertainment industry without complaints.
Hypocritical is the term I'd use.

Quote:
https://www.change.org/p/expel-deser...k-t-shirt-slur

Those girls felt EMPOWERED to treat blacks in any manner that they wished. They feel EMPOWERED that nothing will every happen to them because they have been raised to believe that they are protected by their 'privilege'. However, we will no longer allow this type of overt racism.

Yes, there is freedom of speech. And they have the right to say whatever they want to say. But there ARE consequences. And they are going to learn about those consequences of their actions. So perhaps some of their racist parents should teach them to keep those racist thoughts and actions to themselves.
Wow, just wow. From a t-shirt picture to knowing that these girls think they can treat blacks any way they want. Now THAT is a stretch. I guess you must have missed the interview with the black girl who is friends with these girls and (self described) close friends with some of the parents. She said she doesn't understand what they were thinking and yes, she was upset but was not calling for all the sanctions being called for here.
That in and of itself should indicate maybe "someone" is getting way more wound up than is needed. Jeeze, by the vitriol that is being spewed you'd think those girls were caught burning a cross and wearing sheets with a noose in their hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It's not o.k. for him to call the parents racist (but all too often parents stand up for their kids when they shouldn't). So we agree.

The reason you had to spell it out for me because your 1st sentence said you didn't care if words bothered him. Well.. Do you care that it does?
But is that the case HERE? Just because it's happened elsewhere that doesn't give license to attack these people.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yea, racists people displaying racism and dividing the country because of how many people approve of their racists message, thus upsetting the people racism affects!
Which would be whom?

Old 01-24-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Couldn't get pass page 7. These threads on race really bring out the ignorant racists.
On both sides of the spectrum...

Old 01-24-2016, 05:11 PM

277 posts, read 295,007 times
It's Arizona, I'd expect nothing less.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,602,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I never said I didn't find the word offensive, I just don't rate it as a stop the world, people need to be strung up for saying it .

Please quote me stating anything of this nature in a post on this thread (or any thread that I have ever made)

Quote:
I also question how offensive it really is if it's still in use in the black community and the entertainment industry without complaints.
Hypocritical is the term I'd use.
MANY black Americans object to the use of the word by anyone. Obviously you are not acquainted with black people or you wouldn't have made such a misguided statement.

Quote:
Wow, just wow. From a t-shirt picture to knowing that these girls think they can treat blacks any way they want. Now THAT is a stretch. I guess you must have missed the interview with the black girl who is friends with these girls and (self described) close friends with some of the parents. She said she doesn't understand what they were thinking and yes, she was upset but was not calling for all the sanctions being called for here.
That in and of itself should indicate maybe "someone" is getting way more wound up than is needed. Jeeze, by the vitriol that is being spewed you'd think those girls were caught burning a cross and wearing sheets with a noose in their hands...

A young black person (a teenager) who is an acquaintance of these girls says that she was upset by the incident yet you only want to focus on being lenient to the white girls because heaven forbid they are actually held accountable for their actions. Why aren't YOU concerned about how their behavior affected the black girl? Or any of the other black students who were needlessly subjected to that incident?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,872,552 times
Quote:
Please quote me stating anything of this nature in a post on this thread (or any thread that I have ever made)

MANY black Americans object to the use of the word by anyone. Obviously you are not acquainted with black people or you wouldn't have made such a misguided statement.

A young black person (a teenager) who is an acquaintance of these girls says that she was upset by the incident yet you only want to focus on being lenient to the white girls because heaven forbid they are actually held accountable for their actions. Why aren't YOU concerned about how their behavior affected the black girl? Or any of the other black students who were needlessly subjected to that incident?
Having raised 3 females who came out OK along with the dozen friends who used my wife...a capable RN who was the neighborhood font of female advice.... I suspect this is simply the group stupidity that some times gets to teenagers. I suspect they stumbled on to the ability to formulate the undesirable term and then took a quick picture to show to the select few how clever they were. It was never intended to go anywhere but a select few and certainly not the wide world. And it is likely that there was not a racist thought involved. It was we are cleverer than the adults and see what mischief we have sowed without them ever getting wise.

So they got burned. Happens. And I suspect that likely all would be appalled at the thought they are racist.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:38 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,200,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Having raised 3 females who came out OK along with the dozen friends who used my wife...a capable RN who was the neighborhood font of female advice.... I suspect this is simply the group stupidity that some times gets to teenagers. I suspect they stumbled on to the ability to formulate the undesirable term and then took a quick picture to show to the select few how clever they were. It was never intended to go anywhere but a select few and certainly not the wide world. And it is likely that there was not a racist thought involved. It was we are cleverer than the adults and see what mischief we have sowed without them ever getting wise.

So they got burned. Happens. And I suspect that likely all would be appalled at the thought they are racist.
So German high school students displaying the swastika at school events would also only be a mischief in your eyes? No racism involved then either? No reason for Jews or anyone else to get upset, sure. There is really no limit on how apologetic you can be in the face of your own county's history... which they / we all know.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,611,412 times
The double standard that exists where blacks feel it's OK to use it but call whites racist when they do and "reverse" racism being OK is the reason why no one takes the #blackliesmatter movement seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area