Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
We're absolutely not beyond racism. It is still widely prevalent all over the country, more overtly in some areas than others.

Without knowing these girls, I have no idea if their intent was rooted more in malice or ignorance, but there is a good chance it was the latter. I do think the fact it has gotten this much media attention is a little ridiculous, but the whole situation just illustrates that we still have a lot of problems with race in this country.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that we as a country have a really hard time getting out of our own way and allowing ourselves to understand perspectives that are different from our own. Things are too polarized, whether we're talking about politics, economics, race, or multiple other issues. As an example, you see it on CD in almost every thread, with many of the people on one side of an argument simply talking with the goal of having their own opinion reinforced. When this happens, the result is that opportunities for intelligent conversation on difficult topics are missed. Obviously, being racist is a bad thing, but being overly sensitive isn't productive either. Until we get to a point where we can discuss an issue and disagree with each other without escalating to a heated argument, we won't accomplish anything.
On both sides, sadly... <bold>

Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,737,552 times
The incident and this thread has made one thing clear; the topic of race/race relations is still difficult for us to discuss.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,330,063 times
"You PC Bro?"

Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,928 times
I grew up in Detroit in the 1960s and early 1970s. I probably hear the N word as much now as I did then. This is due to how prevalent it is in todays music. It absolutely disgusts me. I can be sitting at a traffic light and a car pulls up next to me and the word is blaring out of the stereo system. I see a few here stating that it means something different in that context, it is used differently, etc.
I disagree wholeheartedly that this was learned at home. If I hear it that often, how often do you think kids are hearing it? They listen to this crap, it makes an impression and becomes part of their vocabulary. I also think this current administration has divided races and set relations back further than they have been in decades.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,362,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I also think it's safe to say that these girls thought that they could just do this without consequences. If I were to walk into school with a swastika on my shirt, I would expect disciplinary action to be taken against me.

And to more than a few of us, they will be heroes who called out, identified, and challenged the hypocrisy called Political Correctness.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:27 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,740 times
When blacks stop using the n word then the rest of us can decide whether we want to stop using it,until then just shut up.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:32 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
What is police doing at the school over this? There was no threats are anything illegal. Furthermore this had nothing to do with school. They did nothing to violate any laws or school rules (since this had NOTHING to do with school) so, I just can't wrap my head around why these kids are in trouble. Mind you, I do not agree with their idea in any way, shape or form but I'll be damned if I don't defend their right to say it. Besides, although I hate the word, hip hop culture has made it every other word in many sentences for a long time now... Kind of lost it's effect unless, a white person says it...........
I bet if you put a microphone in that school and recorded a normal day at that school you would hear the cracker and the n word being tossed around all day long, but it is overlooked when blacks say it but hateful speech when a white person uses it. Apply the rules equally or do not apply them at all.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:39 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I bet if you put a microphone in that school and recorded a normal day at that school you would hear the cracker and the n word being tossed around all day long, but it is overlooked when blacks say it but hateful speech when a white person uses it. Apply the rules equally or do not apply them at all.
Shouldn't that be the "C" word? Now you've gone and offended me...prepare for the backlash.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
If someone called your wife a sp** or a wetb*** you'd be cool with it?

Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,013,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If someone called your wife a sp** or a wetb*** you'd be cool with it?

But they didn't call anyone the n word. They just spelt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area