Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,352,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post

They should have no graduation walking rights and the suspension should be two weeks instead of 5 days.

They're names and college applications have been put online and its spreading up to their perspective schools they plan on attending, oh how karma bites in the A**
Just another sick example of the Clique of the Absolutely Politically Correct seeking to rule the roost in more venues of daily life and impose their viewpoint (and censorship) by any means available.

There are no dirty books and no dirty pictures -- only dirty (and small) minds. And this story is just another variation, and manifestation of that mentality.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-23-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 03:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Oh please, they're just kids being stupid. I couldn't imagine having every stupid thing I did growing up be scrutinized nationally like this

They're learning their lesson already, no need to pile on.

These are AZ K12 Schools we're discussing

We can't judge kids on the same standard that we judge ourselves. I'm sure this post won't be a popular post in this thread, but this is over the top. It should have ended already but it's going to get more and more viral instead.
Oh please, this is not a bunch of third grade kids playing hookie. This isn't putting Icy Hot in the jock strap of your teammate. Give me a break. These are seniors meaning they are adults who are well educated in American History. They understand the relevance of racism in this country. The purpose of the suspension isn't to just teach these kids but to send a message to prevent this type of behavior from occuring again.

Every stupid thing you did would not be scrutinized because it's unlikely they were this severe. Being a high school senior doesn't excuse this behavior. I was a high school varsity football player who engaged in rowdy behavior just like the next kid but there is a line you don't cross. These kids knew that line and chose to cross it. They are now paying for their mistake. And their punishment doesn't fit the crime. 5 days is a joke. At my high school, you would have probably been suspended for at least one month and this would have been communicated to the colleges we applied or were accepted to. If you were in the National Honor Society, you would have been expelled from it. Students got harsher punishment for much less than this such as being tardy.

Saying we can't judge kids on the same standards we judge ourselves is excusing their action. It's essentially saying we should hold these individuals to a different set of standards. It's a double standard. And they are seniors. Many seniors are 18 years old and can vote and register with the armed forces. They are essentially adults. They are not in first grade.

We should not be apologizing for their mistakes. Rather we should be acknowledging it.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-23-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 03:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Agree Fingerlaker,

They should have no graduation walking rights and the suspension should be two weeks instead of 5 days.

They're names and college applications have been put online and its spreading up to their perspective schools they plan on attending, oh how karma bites in the A**
I agree. Students have been punished worse for being tardy or missing a day. This punishment was far too light. I feel bad for these girls in a sense that their careers are going to be negatively impacted by this but then again, they chose to do something that 99% of high school students wouldn't engage in. It's karma

Old 01-23-2016, 03:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Why in God's name is this such a big story? Oh, anything that isn't PC gets more media attention then U.S. Marines dying in a helicopter crash.

It is some teenagers being idiot kids, I did much worse growing up. Glad my picture wasn't posted all over TV and the Internet each time I was a stupid kid.

This should have been handled by the school and their parents and the rest of us should have never known about it.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,603,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Oh please, this is not a bunch of third grade kids playing hookie. This isn't putting Icy Hot in the jock strap of your teammate. Give me a break. These are seniors meaning they are adults who are well educated in American History. They understand the relevance of racism in this country. The purpose of the suspension isn't to just teach these kids but to send a message to prevent this type of behavior from occuring again.

Every stupid thing you did would not be scrutinized because it's unlikely they were this severe. Being a high school senior doesn't excuse this behavior. I was a high school varsity football player who engaged in rowdy behavior just like the next kid but there is a line you don't cross. These kids knew that line and chose to cross it. They are now paying for their mistake. And their punishment doesn't fit the crime. 5 days is a joke. At my high school, you would have probably been suspended for at least one month and this would have been communicated to the colleges we applied or were accepted to. If you were in the National Honor Society, you would have been expelled from it. Students got harsher punishment for much less than this such as being tardy.

Saying we can't judge kids on the same standards we judge ourselves is excusing their action. It's essentially saying we should hold these individuals to a different set of standards. It's a double standard. And they are seniors. Many seniors are 18 years old and can vote and register with the armed forces. They are essentially adults. They are not in first grade.

We should not be apologizing for their mistakes. Rather we should be acknowledging it.
Tell that to the media that makes it acceptable for music lyrics to have these words. Why is it OK for kids to listen to a rapper saying ni**er or for blacks to use that word all the time? Now that these millennials want to use the term because it's most likely just a part of their everyday vocabulary and honestly don't care or relate to what happened 50 years ago in this country, they should be punished far worse than the 'crime' they committed? Ever heard of "punishment fits the crime"?

I didn't hear nearly as much outcry from the left when that crazy woman Holly Davis shot the Chinese student last week. Now, all of a sudden, a bunch of dumb teens spell out ni**er and all hell breaks loose?

True they aren't in first grade but at the same time, their culture and what they grew up around influences their language. You want to stop this? Then hold the media and music industry that makes $$$ off of lyrics that use this word and say worse things to the same standards.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

I wouldn't say they are well educated in American History, they are high school students.

It wouldn't be publicisized because social media wasn't this extensive when I was their age. But I did many many worse things than this.

People under 18 are held to different standards, they can't form contracts, they have reduced reason ability standards in liability. This is done on purpose. Even if they are 18, they can't sign certain credit contracts, use a rental car, drink. Why do you think that is?

Let it go. They're learning from their mistake. Nationally foaming at the mouth is ridiculous.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
They elected to make us know about it

Now they can live with the consequences of their actions

That clearly didn't give a crap about anyone else in their community and how their actions would impact them and now they get to feel the heat from that

I also completely fail to see how this is "PC" related..... I think not wearing shirts that spell out Ni**er while at school and then taking photos of you doing this and distributing said photo is a pretty low freaking bar to clear

Old 01-23-2016, 04:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Tell that to the media that makes it acceptable for music lyrics to have these words. Why is it OK for kids to listen to a rapper saying ni**er or for blacks to use that word all the time? Now that these millennials want to use the term because it's most likely just a part of their everyday vocabulary and honestly don't care or relate to what happened 50 years ago in this country, they should be punished far worse than the 'crime' they committed? Ever heard of "punishment fits the crime"?

I didn't hear nearly as much outcry from the left when that crazy woman Holly Davis shot the Chinese student last week. Now, all of a sudden, a bunch of dumb teens spell out ni**er and all hell breaks loose?

True they aren't in first grade but at the same time, their culture and what they grew up around influences their language. You want to stop this? Then hold the media and music industry that makes $$$ off of lyrics that use this word and say worse things to the same standards.
If you aren't smart enough to understand the difference or nuance in general then you deserve the pain the world will deliver to you

Old 01-23-2016, 04:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
The younger generation simply just doesn't know the direct pain behind that word which is why it's used so freely. I remember when I was in college there were these white frat bros on on my dorm floor that used that word in a "playful" matter as they put it because they didn't think it was a big deal just like those 5 girls didn't think it was a big deal. They used to say things like "Shutup ni**a" to one another and what have you. I thought it was very tacky and low class. However, I do not believe these young ladies should be expelled but an apology to the school and their peers is in order and they should make all five of them sit down and watch the movie ROOTS 5 times in a row until they get that degrading word out of their system!
How about Django Unchained instead of Roots? Oh wait, the actors in that say "N" and worse all through that movie but I guess that's ok 'cause they're black and it's "just a movie".

Before I get flamed, the point being until NOBODY is allowed to use a certain word because it's so offensive then it's hard to get really upset when some who are not "supposed" to use it do so.

Yes, they should've known better, yes, they should've thought out the ramifications and possible hurt of what they were doing but they didn't as many others their age (and older) don't.

Now let's all turn on a stand up comedy show and watch Chris Rock etc, use the same words and laugh like hell at it...

Old 01-23-2016, 04:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
They elected to make us know about it

Now they can live with the consequences of their actions

That clearly didn't give a crap about anyone else in their community and how their actions would impact them and now they get to feel the heat from that

I also completely fail to see how this is "PC" related..... I think not wearing shirts that spell out Ni**er while at school and then taking photos of you doing this and distributing said photo is a pretty low freaking bar to clear
The shirts were worn to spell out something else, not worn to spell out that word. This wasn't a well thought out plan, it was a few kids that did something stupid with the shirts they were wearing for another purpose.

"Anyone else in the community and how their actions would impact them"??? Please tell me how this would have affected the community or impacted anyone had the media not blown it up?

This is a non story and cant believe we're having to hear about it over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area