Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:28 PM

125 posts, read 106,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
Do any of you take day-trips to Northern AZ where it's cooler? I'm planning on doing a bit of traveling this summer.
Yes. Flagstaff is significantly cooler than Phoenix and makes an excellent day trip.

Sedona is also nice and an easy day drive. Incredible views and Slide Rock State Park is a beautiful place to cool off. Go during the week if you can; this place is crowded in the summer on weekends and parking is hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,794,224 times
The summer seems to fly by quickly. We just endure it, shop early, stay in the AC. Not as bad as a blizzard in my opinion. It can get to you by late August and we do get a bit moody, but we get through it.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 PM

406 posts, read 628,801 times
Quote:
I like your optimism!

I'm actually trying to save up money now so I can go on road trips fairly often. If anyone wants to suggest good day-trips/ cheap hotels please do!

I'm thinking San Diego, Flagstaff, Show-low, Maybe Albuquerque (I haven't been there before, actually!) I also really want to visit Seattle and Portland (two cities I'm drawn to, but haven't seen before).
What about Prescott? Much closer to you than all the above cities and presumably the least crowded. The mean temperature in the summer months is in the 80s. I know that feels much better after spending any time in 100+ plus heat.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Quote:
That's true. Good suggestion! Thank you
Plus many ASU students go home for the summer.... lucky them... I have to work!! D: lol

I think that ASU Library will be another oasis of mine this summer (taking 2-3 summer classes, ew....) Library and school pool. I just am a HUGE outdoor person... that's why I find summer in Phoenix so depressing. It's miserable to be outside and while I love the outdoors, I just feel awful as soon as I step into the 115 degree heat!!
Another option is to get out early in the morning in the summer months to do your outdoor activities. No travel required. That's usually the coolest time of the day and many find it tolerable enough to do a hike, walk, bike, etc. whatever you like doing outside. Someone I know loves to bike but wanted it cooler in the summer so he would hose himself down/his clothes before taking his bike ride in the summer. Even when the humidity increases, he found it much more tolerable, playing the role as a moving human swamp cooler on wheels. In the morning/night hours it can make you feel downright chilly.

And always remember the big picture.....for the vast majority of the year, we have arguably some of the best weather in the nation for those who dislike the heat. Perhaps framing it in your mind in such a way might make the summer days a little more tolerable for you....maybe.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,309 times
Grass, shadetreees, and lots of time in the pool help make being outdoors in the summertime much more tolerable.

For people who don't have these things and still enjoy being outdoors a good waterpark does the trick, and anyplace with misters.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:19 PM

44,716 posts, read 61,938,081 times
Living in the heat beats the snow storms, the hurricanes, the tornados and all the things that make life miserable during those storms. Look at the snowbound people in this current blizzard back east. Would you like to live in that condition and be a prisoner in your car or house.
At least you can get out and about in the AZ heat whenever you want.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 PM

7 posts, read 6,720 times
Many, many years ago, I visited my sister in Tucson in August when I was 5 months pregnant. I loved the heat! At the time, I lived on the Eastern Shore of MD (not near OC, though) and the humidity was a killer. I've since lived in Charleston, SC and hated the summer months! Yuck, humidity is the worst! I now live near Portland, OR and am enduring the rainy season. Not sure what I hate most, humidity or this darn rain... I long for sun and warmth! I've wondered how I'd do with the AZ heat now that I'm a 'bit' older (20+ yrs...) Thing is I love snowstorms, but would I give up the possibility of a snowstorm for glorious warm winter months? Possibly, but I wonder about the humidity during the monsoon season if the temps are up in the triple digits...

You are young. Enjoy your life and know that you can soon leave and live somewhere else. Enjoy where you are for now. Though I understand the dread of summer. I would start dreading the summer humidity of Charleston, SC around March...and then dream of the cool temps that wouldn't arrive until late October...

Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,006,003 times
Get a place with a pool, and hit it up daily. Thats the only way I cope with the summers here. From June til' the end of September, and even into October, Im in the pool a lot. Last summer not so much, but our first years here I was a fish! Swim, swim, swim.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,006,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Living in the heat beats the snow storms, the hurricanes, the tornados and all the things that make life miserable during those storms. Look at the snowbound people in this current blizzard back east. Would you like to live in that condition and be a prisoner in your car or house.
At least you can get out and about in the AZ heat whenever you want.
What are you talking about? Snow days are awesome! Work shuts down, kids stay home from school, and you cozy up and catch up on movies, naps, etc. Its awesome.

And youre talking a few short rare days of being stranded, and maybe every 10 years or so. The heat here is unrelenting. Every year. From June til October. Big difference.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
It should be against the rules to talk about the summer heat in January.

It's the only thing keeping me sane during the winter...promise that the heat will return!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area