Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,367,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell1985 View Post
Yeah I suppose your right. Well I ain't changing how I dress to suit the people in the Valley.
Then why are you asking this question? You know perfectly well that the vast majority of people in what is now America's sixth largest metropolitan area do not dress the way you do. Of course they look at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 PM

42 posts, read 49,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Then why are you asking this question? You know perfectly well that the vast majority of people in what is now America's sixth largest metropolitan area do not dress the way you do. Of course they look at you.
Because people act like they've never seen a cowboy before. Oh and because I can ask what I like. I'm well aware of the size of this city. But thanks for pointing that out.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:53 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,672,188 times
Quote:
Because people act like they've never seen a cowboy before. Oh and because I can ask what I like. I'm well aware of the size of this city. But thanks for pointing that out.
I wouldn't worry about what people think, wear what you like and what's comfortable. I see guys dress like that up in parts of Denver, up in the mountains and a lot around Wyoming.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:38 PM

42 posts, read 49,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I wouldn't worry about what people think, wear what you like and what's comfortable. I see guys dress like that up in parts of Denver, up in the mountains and a lot around Wyoming.
Not worried at all. I'd live in Wyoming if I could get a decent job up there

Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 AM

17 posts, read 19,357 times
"Real cowboys" worked for nickles and dimes. I'm just sayin....

Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I was kind of thinking the same thing when I read through this. The OP sounds a little self conscious because he's gawked at for wearing clothing that's outside the norm, and perhaps wants reassurance that he looks OK. I'd expect somebody wearing a tuxedo outside in the middle of a Phoenix summer to also get the same kind of stares. The bottom line is: wear whatever you want, but don't expect to change others for looking or staring at something that seems a little different & out of place ... it's human nature.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:49 AM

277 posts, read 435,057 times
Quote:
Yeah I suppose your right. Well I ain't changing how I dress to suit the people in the Valley.
As long as you're not wearing a chip on your shoulder, you'll be in fine style. :-)

I like what one person said about tippig your hat and a big smile. Sounds charming!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:44 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,485,318 times
Quote:
Well....they probably haven't. I grew up in Phoenix my whole life and can say that outside of touristy attractions I never got exposed a real "cowboy" walking around in Phoenix/scottsdale area lol. If you were walking around in cowboy attire at a grocery store or around fashion square I would probably give you a double glance, not out of condescending judgment but because I would be wondering what you were wearing. You have to realize that Phoenix and its people are culturally very different than the rest of Arizona, especially the small towns, and to a lot of people in Phoenix cowboy culture is very foreign.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:08 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,672,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well....they probably haven't. I grew up in Phoenix my whole life and can say that outside of touristy attractions I never got exposed a real "cowboy" walking around in Phoenix/scottsdale area lol. If you were walking around in cowboy attire at a grocery store or around fashion square I would probably give you a double glance, not out of condescending judgment but because I would be wondering what you were wearing. You have to realize that Phoenix and its people are culturally very different than the rest of Arizona, especially the small towns, and to a lot of people in Phoenix cowboy culture is very foreign.
I think Phoenix needs to get back to its western cowboy and agriculture roots, it's becoming too much of California. Just my 2 cents.

Here are some pictures of Cheyenne Frontier days in Wyoming. Gives you an idea of keeping their heritage and culture around without trying to be another California.

Pancake breakfast

Some country concert

Jason Aldeen

Old 02-28-2016, 03:44 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,779 times
I look at you western wearers funny cause I think, "boy that looks uncomfortable". Is it the clothes or the horses that make you walk stiff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area