Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 PM

59 posts, read 241,458 times

Advertisements

I have a house under contract and was wondering if anyone had a REALLY good home inspector that they recommend. It is a foreclosure and I really want somebody who will take their time and really comb over the place.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Check them out very carefully, whomever you hire. Be there when they inspect and go over everything they write up while you're there. Otherwise you may be stuck with some headaches.
We had one one time who was recommended by a realtor, and he had no business being in the inspection business. He missed so many things that it almost killed the deal. We complained to the company, proved our accusations, and at least got our money back for the fees charged for the inspection.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
Default Home Inspector

I recommend Steve Marchal of Pinnacle Property Inspections, LLC. His phone # is 602-451-9833. We have used his services for the past several years for us as well as a few other people we have recommended him to. He is thorough and professional and gives you a complete computerized report with pictures that you can keep and you can call him afterwards with any questions.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,618 times
I've used Tim O'Neall with Adirondack Inspections for several years. He can be contacted at inspections@cox.net. He's very thorough, knowledgeable and is ASHI certified.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM

225 posts, read 962,281 times
I had a bad experience with a home inspector. I did my research and he had all the certifications. He charged a higher price than others and had a great website. He even provides a nice portfolio with great pictures. So he checked out! In the end he was terrible and I paid $500 for a bad job. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tried a much cheaper person 350-400 per job. I would have paid for a reinspection. But before I did that, I would inspect and reinspect the house myself thoroughly. I didn't do that last time I bought my most recent house and I regretted it. I notice that inspectors are pretty lenient and will pass something that works although it may not work optimally (door handle is slightly loose or the hot water takes too long to come on) Here are some things to look out for.

Most importantly, don't hire the inspector your realtor refers to you. They have an incentive to get the house passed which is why the realtor probably wanted him or her. They work for the realtor not you. I don't mean that the realtor is giving kickbacks to the home inspector but if the home inspector is getting several referrals from a realtor, then he isn't going to go out of his way to fine tiny details that will kill a deal; why slap the hand that feeds you?

1. Sprinkler system-make sure the drip system works. A lot of inspectors will just look to see if the sprinklers come on but they won't look carefully to see if the drip system on the citrus trees and other small plants work. If you have to fix that, it can cost you over a 1000 dollars.
2. Check the refrigerator and see if it gets cold on it's coldest setting. A lot of old fridges don't work that well but the inspector will pass it
3. Check all the electrical outlets in the main rooms and make sure they work; pressing the GFI doesn't always address that
4. Have them check the coils on your AC because many times they are dirty and your AC doesn't work that well. Also, insist on having them check for freon leaks. This is basic but my guy completely missed this. Turn your AC yourself and count how long it takes to cool down a certain temperature (if you are buying in the summer)
5. Make sure the garage doors open and close WITH THE REMOTE CONTROLS. Bring some triple AAA batteries with you. Some of these units have bad remote controls.
6. Make sure the water pressure is equal in all the showers in the different rooms. Check the kitchen sink tap and see how long it takes for the water to become warm even when adjusting the knobs underneatht the sink.
7. Broken roof tiles. When you sell your house, you will have 4 of these yet when you buy it, there was none to be found.

I know all of this is common sense but I wish I had a lot of this myself instead of relying on the inspector who missed a lof this basic stuff. Take the time to inspect the house yourself and to make sure things work. You should still hire an inspector but if you catch things wrong, the inspector will address formally.

Last edited by sweettearose; 02-08-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I had a bad experience with a home inspector.......Most importantly, don't hire the inspector your realtor refers to you. They have an incentive to get the house passed which is why the realtor probably wanted him or her. They work for the realtor not you.
I am sorry you had a bad home inspector...they are not all created equal...and the same with Realtors.

Home inspectors must be licensed by the State of Arizona. A list of certified home inspectors may be found at the Arizona Board of Technical Regristration webside, BTR - Board of Technical Registration. Additional information on inspections may be found at the American Society of Home Inspectors website, Home Inspector at American Society of Home Inspectors: American Society Of Home Inspectors, ASHI, ASHI Home Inspection, ASHI Inspector, and guidance on hiring a home inspector may be found at REALTOR.com: Hiring a Home Inspector

I usually give clients 3 -5 inspectors that I've witnessed in action. The inspector works for the Buyer.... they are paying for it....so they can choose whomever they want.

The inspector I recommended in a previous post is one that I recommend to clients...because he is one I've used for my own transactions.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I am sorry you had a bad home inspector...they are not all created equal...and the same with Realtors.

Home inspectors must be licensed by the State of Arizona. A list of certified home inspectors may be found at the Arizona Board of Technical Regristration webside, BTR - Board of Technical Registration. Additional information on inspections may be found at the American Society of Home Inspectors website, Home Inspector at American Society of Home Inspectors: American Society Of Home Inspectors, ASHI, ASHI Home Inspection, ASHI Inspector, and guidance on hiring a home inspector may be found at REALTOR.com: Hiring a Home Inspector

I usually give clients 3 -5 inspectors that I've witnessed in action. The inspector works for the Buyer.... they are paying for it....so they can choose whomever they want.

The inspector I recommended in a previous post is one that I recommend to clients...because he is one I've used for my own transactions.
I didn't mean to offend you or any realtors. If I did so I'm sorry. I think most realtors are ethical but I do think there is a conflict of interest when a realtor recommends a home inspector even if it is unintended. A realtor is less likely to use an inspector who routinely finds errors in a home. And a home inspector is less inclined to find problems if he was referred by a realtor since he will likely seek future referrals from the realtor. That isn't in the consumer's best interest. Also, if there is a problem that was found post inspection, I would hate for the realtor or home inspector to be blamed for other reasons. That's a situation I would rather not put my realtor or home inspector in. I just feel it's in a consumer's best interest to hire their own inspector to avoid this predicament.

Last edited by sweettearose; 02-08-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 01:21 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post

I agree totally with Az Tracy, especially about the fact that I also recommended an inspector that I used for my own transactions as well. And since we are not the Realtors representing the OP then we have nothing to gain from the referral except being helpful to a person seeking a referral. If we as Realtors only referred people for our own personal benefit and not because the person/company we were referring was dependable and trustworthy, then we would obviously not be a Realtor for long because we can lose our license as well for not adhering to our code of ethics. Those Realtors who are only looking for personal gain and not giving good referrals should be reported to their city's Realtor Association.

Ofcourse, keep in mind that there are a number of agents who do not belong to an Association (which means that they can't use the designation of "Realtor") and they would have to be reported to the State Licensing Agency.

Whoever they are, if they are getting away with these actions over and over again then some of the blame has to be put on the home buyers who don't take the time or want the hassle of reporting them. Again, this is usually the biggest and most expensive purchase a person makes in their life and they need to make some effort for themselves regarding the buying process. It is not a passive journey.

If a surgeon screwed up an important operation on you and caused you even more harm then when you went in the hospital, you would certainly report the surgeon to the AMA and the State Licensing Board immediately. It is the same thing in all aspects of your life. If you want your life a certain way then you have to be proactive about it.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I agree totally with Az Tracy, especially about the fact that I also recommended an inspector that I used for my own transactions as well. And since we are not the Realtors representing the OP then we have nothing to gain from the referral except being helpful to a person seeking a referral.
I think you are confused. I was only refering to those specific realtors representing the buyers and not the realtors on this thread or ones in general. I don't think there is anything wrong with a consumer accepting a referral from a realtor who isn't representing the buyer. Back to the topic, It would be very difficult to prove that a realtor and a home inspector conspired to pass homes to ensure the sale of a home. You would need some direct evidence supporting your allegation. I don't feel it would be worth one's time to report agents or home inspectors based on suspicion alone. I don't think it's ethical to formally cite your realtor and home inspector of conspiracy if their is no evidence to support that claim. This is why buyers have to protect themselves by avoiding this conflict of interest by hiring their own home inspector. I realize there is a slim chance the realtor and home inspector are conspring together but why take that risk if you can avoid it.

Last edited by sweettearose; 02-09-2008 at 04:43 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 07:55 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I think you are confused. I was only refering to those specific realtors representing the buyers and not the realtors on this thread or ones in general. I don't think there is anything wrong with a consumer accepting a referral from a realtor who isn't representing the buyer. Back to the topic, It would be very difficult to prove that a realtor and a home inspector conspired to pass homes to ensure the sale of a home. You would need some direct evidence supporting your allegation. I don't feel it would be worth one's time to report agents or home inspectors based on suspicion alone. I don't think it's ethical to formally cite your realtor and home inspector of conspiracy if their is no evidence to support that claim. This is why buyers have to protect themselves by avoiding this conflict of interest by hiring their own home inspector. I realize there is a slim chance the realtor and home inspector are conspring together but why take that risk if you can avoid it.
It is in the best interest of the buyer and the realtor to have a good thorough inspection. As a realtor representing my client, I want to uncover all problems so the buyer can get the seller to take care of them during the escrow period.

It does not make sense for a realtor and an inspector to conspire to not find problems. This would give the inspector not only a bad name but possibly set him/her up for a law suit, and/or a loss of their license. Same for the realtor.

I want to make sure that the vendors I recommend to my client will do a good and proper job so my client will be very happy with the results.

The inspector, instead of wanting to not find things so the realtor will recommend them again, will want to find things so the realtor and the buyer will know they are doing a good job and both will recommend him again.

It is illegal for a realtor to receive kickbacks, and illegal for them to give kickbacks.

A home inspection typically does not include the yard sprinkler system. It included the plumbing system from the outside of the house shut off valve through the inside.

It does not include moving a refrigerator and checking for dirty coils or filter systems. If one wants that kind of detail then they should inform the inspector in advance so they will be able to include that extra work in their fee. Many home inspectors will not go on the roof. A roof inspector would be needed for that.

I usually give my buyers the names of three inspectors whose work I'm familiar with. Then they can choose among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area