Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,513,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Considering ADOT has had to postpone the start of widening 2 of the last 3 sections of I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson, due to the lack of funding; even though the projects have been engineered, designed and are "shovel ready", and they are not even currently studying that section of I-10 between I-17 and the 101, I would guess that they are planning to leave that median just the way it is until the light rail is going down it.
If funding is an issue I wouldn't have any problem paying more taxes to expand and improve the mass transit system.

By mass transit I mean the whole comprehensive transportation system, busses, light rail, commuter rail, more freeways, and additional freeway lanes.

The question is, would a majority of voters approve another tax increase?

West I-10 is a congested nightmare and doing nothing is only going to make the traffic situation worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,492,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
We moved here almost two years ago and have lived in apartments since then. We are finally going to rent a house when our lease is up in early March and we will finally have a garage. For my stay-at-home-mom girlfriend, it's great because her car will be garaged all day. But for me it matters very little because I'm at work all day, which means my car is baking in the sun during the summer for 9 hours per day. I work at a small but extremely successful software company where there is one single group of about 6-7 covered spots for the owners and a few high level execs. For the rest of us, it's baked car.

I don't get why there isn't more covered parking around the valley too, but I'm glad to hear that it's becoming more common. There are only so many trees in parking lots and when summer comes around, they are always taken - even if they are halfway across the parking lot with nothing but empty spaces in between. Even then, when you are at work the tree only helps for so long because of the sun's movement. After a couple of hours, it's back to baked car.

I am aware of the expense of solar panels (I can't believe that putting up some covered parking would cost a lot), but considering our climate, it's the smart and responsible thing to do. My community college back home in Silicon Valley did that - they changed one of the larger parking lots to be mostly covered and while they were at it, they included solar panels too. It just makes sense.
Just a money thing in the end I would say. Not an earth shattering expense but I suppose for bigger lots, it could cost a bit. In the world of business, penny pinching seems to rule the day often, especially if said expense doesn't directly/indirectly generate revenue for the business.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I share that dream Jazz. But I don't think Glendale will want to pay for any of that.
It's only a matter of time when the Cardinals will demand a new stadium and I can guarantee it's not going to be built in Glendale. Give it 15-20 years and the Cardinals owners will demand a new stadium with increased seating and corporate suites. These NFL stadiums only last about 30 years now. The Coyotes are out of Glendale after next year. The Cardinals will ultimately follow suit. Then light-rail to Glendale will be more or less inconsequential.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:46 AM

226 posts, read 228,079 times
Places guaranteed to NEVER get light rail:
1. Scottsdale
2. Maryvale
3. South Phoenix
4. Far NW Valley (Surprise, Sun Cities, El Mirage)
Might as well concentrate on improving and widening the roads in those areas.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 12,395,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
2. Maryvale
3. South Phoenix
South Phoenix is already on the radar of Valley Metro, and the proposed Capitol Extension is at the southern boundary of Maryvale along I-10.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,385,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
1. Scottsdale
2. Maryvale
3. South Phoenix
4. Far NW Valley (Surprise, Sun Cities, El Mirage)
Might as well concentrate on improving and widening the roads in those areas.
The are extending the light rail to South Phoenix from the downtown, down Central to Baseline, opening in 2023. You'll have to modify your list.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,110,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Phoenix could really benefit with a better light rail system, like one we have here in Denver. How much would it reduce traffic is based on what the ridership is and the amount of automobiles it takes off the highways. You can see the differences between the two and how Denver is years ahead.
For anyone reading this thread and thinking about moving to Denver, be warned that not all of this system is being built out. As is typical, the cost was underestimated and so there's not enough $$ to build all of the lines.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
For anyone reading this thread and thinking about moving to Denver, be warned that not all of this system is being built out. As is typical, the cost was underestimated and so there's not enough $$ to build all of the lines.
It might be time to privatize the light rail system. A pay as you go might work better.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM

249 posts, read 189,501 times
Quote:
It might be time to privatize the light rail system. A pay as you go might work better.
^^
I like this idea. It's not logical to make everyone pay taxes for buses or trains rolling around empty most of the time.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
It would be cost prohibitive and no longer exist. It's the same argument for freeway. Just make them all toll roads and privatize them. Privatize surface streets etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area