Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times

Advertisements

It is still so nice and cool at night and in the mornings... I got more than a bit tired of the chilly weather we had in December. And it is not going to stay at 90 and above from now until summer. So much whining! (especially about something no one can do anything about)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 AM

39,131 posts, read 51,428,209 times
Maybe the heat will drive away the snowbirds. I was driving to Flagstaff yesterday and noticed more than a few out of state RVs heading north.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,640,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It's been nice in the mornings, too. Still cool enough when I head to the gym that I can wear my hoodie if I want. This is the nice time where the windows are open and no AC or heat
I'm with you! I love this weather, and couldn't wait to thaw out. The mornings are great.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:50 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I wonder about that myself. I mean, I found myself very sensitive to this past winter's cold - thinking maybe I am adapting more than ever. But 90 in February, as one said, is a bit much. What does that mean in 20 years from now? 105 in February? 135 in July? 150 in August of 2040? I expect to be alive then. Maybe I'm overreacting but wow, it seems like it could be possible. I suppose I could just move!
That's an exaggeration. I can't see Phoenix ever reaching the 100s in the winter, or the 130s, 140s, 150s in the summer. If you look at the historical climatological data, we have had heat spikes from time to time (even during the winter months), and the average daytime temps have only gotten slightly warmer over the last few decades. What has really been noticeable is the overnight lows: they have dramatically increased over the past 50+ years, mainly due to the urban heat island effect.

As for this unusual February heat wave, nobody can really say what's causing it ... although many fingers have been pointed at El Niño, which is an overly exaggerated weather phenomenon. A typical El Niño would have sent a conveyor belt of moisture laden storms to southern CA by now, and we would be drenched as well. A strong El Niño like what's in place now has also been known to bring cooler temperatures (despite the fact that El Niño is a warming of the Pacific waters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
There would be no more discussion about property values as they would be all zero.
If Phoenix literally becomes hell on earth, there would still be a few people moving here ... not for investment properties, or for important reasons like jobs, but because of the sun & the heat. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are some who actually love the heat. You'd see them moving here with their UHaul trailers, laying in the sun, frying their bodies, and saying, "Ohhhh it's so beautiful here". Of course, these are often the same bozos who go hiking in the preserves during the middle of summer, end up getting disoriented, and wasting the paramedics' valuable time (not to mention taxpayers' money) by requiring their overheated rumps to be hauled off the trails.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:13 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,165,294 times
Lol IF Phoenix becomes hell on earth? It already is during the summer months and for some odd reason people keep coming here.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I am quite thrilled! 90 is nowhere near hot to me! It's been lovely!

Honestly, people who are already miserably hot REALLY need to consider moving someplace with a cooler climate. I can't handle the cold so I moved. If you can't handle heat, I recommend the same.
If only it were that easy..

Old 02-18-2016, 12:28 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,996,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I agree. 90 degrees here is perfection.
In the shade. In the direct sun is a bit toasty. I like 75 degrees in the Valley. The outside temp is perfectly comfy, and the warm sun is the topping on the cake. When its hot, the sun is an insult to an injury.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:29 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,344,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
If only it were that easy..

It takes research, planning, and saving, but it really isn't that difficult if you want to make it happen. Life is too short to live someplace that you are miserable.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It takes research, planning, and saving, but it really isn't that difficult if you want to make it happen. Life is too short to live someplace that you are miserable.
I will gladly be miserable for the sake of my family, I do not want to uproot them again and cause instability.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I will gladly be miserable for the sake of my family, I do not want to uproot them again and cause instability.
Agreed, the sentiment also assumes that weather is the reason for being here exclusively.

What if your business book/family/business/friends are here? Why leave because you find the heat crappy? The heat is crappy sometimes.

I owe a great deal of my lifestyle, education and opportunity to Phoenix. That said, it's not my favorite place by a longshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area