Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times

Advertisements

omg.

I'm away for nearly a month, and the inmates are running the asylum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 09:37 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,801,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
omg.

I'm away for nearly a month, and the inmates are running the asylum.

Hey, Colt . . . RUN FOR THE ROUNDHOUSE, THEY CAN'T CORNER YOU THERE.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:26 PM

35 posts, read 37,988 times
Just because Arizona is a little dry since the beginning of Jan. doesn't mean El Ninio was a bust. A lot of areas got exactly what was expected including some record highs. It wasn't as strong as 97/98 though...but definitely not a bust.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:08 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Does everyone remember all the hype about the wet winter we were supposed to have due to this year's strong El Niño?

I know NorCal's been getting rain but other than that one storm and the snow up north....this seems to be a pretty dry winter so far.
HA! Tell me about it. Back in December, I started a thread in the Weather forum about how El Niño has been a huge hype over nothing. I based it on how the weather patterns during the other strong El Niño events have been much different than this one ... and I also said that the NWS is highly inaccurate on many of their long range forecasts & how useless of an agency they are. Many of the posters balked at my statements, but I turned out to be right, and they are the ones who are now eating their words (but of course, they won't admit they were wrong).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-big-hype.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warner View Post
Just because Arizona is a little dry since the beginning of Jan. doesn't mean El Ninio was a bust. A lot of areas got exactly what was expected including some record highs. It wasn't as strong as 97/98 though...but definitely not a bust.
A LITTLE dry??? Quite frankly, I have never seen a February this warm and dry in my entire life here. This kind of weather is more typical for April or May! As far as your claim that El Niño hasn't been a bust: how can you possibly believe that when it's so obvious that the weather patterns turned out to be the complete opposite of what the NWS had predicted for the period of December through February?! The prediction was for a wetter than normal pattern in southern CA & the SW, and an equal chance of above or below normal temperatures (favoring the below average temperature probability in much of the SW). I'm sorry that you seem to have so much trust in the National Blather Service when it's obvious they are way off base in their forecasts.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:19 PM

39,179 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Models over the past couple days have been consistent from run to run in predicting an El Nino (or so they will call it) surge starting about 8 days from now. Confidence is low this far out, of course, but this could be it!

Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM

December and January..colder than average and wetter than average. Not far off. It was bloody cold around here until three weeks ago. Three weeks does not make a season.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warner View Post
December and February..colder than average and wetter than average. Not far off. It was bloody cold around here until three weeks ago. Three weeks does not make a season.
I'm sorry, but you are so way off that I think you could be a shoo in at the NWS (HA HA). December was slightly cooler than average, but the total rainfall for the month was 0.21 and the normal is 0.88. January was slightly cooler and wetter than average, but February has been one of the warmest on record, and the total precipitation is 0.00 (normal is 0.92). How has that been colder and wetter than average???

Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm sorry, but you are so way off that I think you could be a shoo in at the NWS (HA HA). December was slightly cooler than average, but the total rainfall for the month was 0.21 and the normal is 0.88. January was slightly cooler and wetter than average, but February has been one of the warmest on record, and the total precipitation is 0.00 (normal is 0.92). How has that been colder and wetter than average???

Back to my first post. Just because they were off in AZ about El Ninio sure as heck doesn't mean it was a bust. My brother in Montana says he has had no snow on his property for a month. Just as predicted. Record temps a few days as well. And..Yes it is raining in Cali, just like they predicted. Boo hoo we didn't get torrential rain. BTW I edited my post to say Dec and Jan

Old 02-28-2016, 06:08 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,965,183 times
I'm confused. We've been told time and time again with all this global warming nonsense that climatologists couldn't possibly be wrong. So, if they were so wrong about El Nino which is happening NOW, how can we trust what they say about temperatures 50 or 100 years ago.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:31 PM

123 posts, read 176,445 times
Its not unusual to have a dry, warm spell during an El Nino Winter. Looks like the pattern changes next week. March is normally the wettest month of the year. Winter isn't over yet, so I'm still holding out hope for some big late season rains to push the Southwest above average and push fire season off.

Last edited by sloguy1496; 02-28-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area