Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 AM

233 posts, read 259,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The facility in Maryvale was nice and the Brewers atmosphere was impressive. A good crowd, Klement's hot dogs and, of course, the Klement's sausage race (Chorizo was victorious today). The weather was fantastic and there was even a few droplets of rain. Jokes-a-plenty with discussions as to how many drops would fall before an Arizona rain out.

I hope to catch another game and visit another facility or two.
The Maryvale complex is the hidden gem of the cactus league. Plenty of room, not overpriced, and very friendly. The only downfall is if you like to hang out after the game and get dinner. You don't have that like many of the other parks, and probably don't want to considering the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,409,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAZ View Post
The Maryvale complex is the hidden gem of the cactus league. Plenty of room, not overpriced, and very friendly. The only downfall is if you like to hang out after the game and get dinner. You don't have that like many of the other parks, and probably don't want to considering the neighborhood.
There have been rumblings over the past few years that the Brewers might be leaving Maryvale for Florida. Here's an article from a year ago:

Brewers could consider moving spring training to Florida

It's just an ongoing tug-of-war between Arizona and Florida over spring training teams/facilities. Right now it is 15-15, but teams are always looking for that next city who will build them the best and most current spring training facility out there, with all of the bells and whistles one can imagine, that they can use as a year-round training/rehab facility for the team and its farm system.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There have been rumblings over the past few years that the Brewers might be leaving Maryvale for Florida. Here's an article from a year ago:

Brewers could consider moving spring training to Florida

It's just an ongoing tug-of-war between Arizona and Florida over spring training teams/facilities. Right now it is 15-15, but teams are always looking for that next city who will build them the best and most current spring training facility out there, with all of the bells and whistles one can imagine, that they can use as a year-round training/rehab facility for the team and its farm system.
I spent some time with an usher that has worked the Brewers games for years at Maryvale. She said the team is envious of some of the newer facilities with better gym equipment and swimming pools for the players. Upgrades are wanted and, of course, the Brewers want the City of Phoenix to pick up the tab. They're also not the biggest draw but it must be hard to compete with the teams that have played in Phoenix for longer than the Brewers have existed. Also, nothing a World Series win can't fix and that's all on the Brewers.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:37 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,318,638 times
Quote:
I spent some time with an usher that has worked the Brewers games for years at Maryvale. She said the team is envious of some of the newer facilities with better gym equipment and swimming pools for the players. Upgrades are wanted and, of course, the Brewers want the City of Phoenix to pick up the tab. They're also not the biggest draw but it must be hard to compete with the teams that have played in Phoenix for longer than the Brewers have existed. Also, nothing a World Series win can't fix and that's all on the Brewers.
I think the money has dried up for new spring training stadiums, but I wish them luck. it's not like these stadiums are the financial boon some thought they would be (other than a few teams). I saw some on the Indians game in Goodyear the other day on TV and the stadium looked 80% empty. The Brewers old stadium in Chandler smack dab in the middle of Ocotillo was just torn down in favor of waterfront homes. I don't see any incentive for a municipality to invest a bunch of money for these ballparks, but I guess for the valley as a whole it is a good month for tourism.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think the money has dried up for new spring training stadiums, but I wish them luck. it's not like these stadiums are the financial boon some thought they would be (other than a few teams). I saw some on the Indians game in Goodyear the other day on TV and the stadium looked 80% empty. The Brewers old stadium in Chandler smack dab in the middle of Ocotillo was just torn down in favor of waterfront homes. I don't see any incentive for a municipality to invest a bunch of money for these ballparks, but I guess for the valley as a whole it is a good month for tourism.
I heard that the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority has very little to no money to keep helping build new complexes or renovate the current ones already. There was a interesting article in USAToday, 3 years ago, about the Cactus League and what each city makes or loses on their spring training complexes (it's lengthy, but a good read for those who like numbers and financials).

Cactus League costs: Phoenix-area cities lose millions but say it's worth it

Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I heard that the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority has very little to no money to keep helping build new complexes or renovate the current ones already. There was a interesting article in USAToday, 3 years ago, about the Cactus League and what each city makes or loses on their spring training complexes (it's lengthy, but a good read for those who like numbers and financials).

Cactus League costs: Phoenix-area cities lose millions but say it's worth it
I read that yesterday. It was a very good article. If Phoenix doesn't pony-up money for upgrades in Maryvale, the Brewers only hope here might be the Gila River or Salt River tribes. One other issue is that most teams and cities only want double-tenants going forward. They would have to take another team from Florida to make that happen. I've talked to a few scouts that I've built a relationship with over the last few years, and they believe the Florida threat is just posturing and there's very little chance of them moving to FL. Mark Attanasio, the owner, splits time between Milwaukee and Los Angeles. As an east valley Brewers fan, I'd love to see a return to Chandler or the surrounding area.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:59 AM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
Quote:
I've talked to a few scouts that I've built a relationship with over the last few years,
Speaking of the scouts, that was an aspect of the game I enjoyed. I was seated in Row J behind home place and was surround by scouts (Astros, Cubs, White Sox, Giants, Marlins & Indians and many others) all sitting there clocking the speed of every pitch. They also appeared to be scoring the game but not in the traditional sense. I wanted to start up a conversation and get a grasp of what they were actually doing but didn't want to interfere. If the opportunity arises, I'll make the effort to engage in conversation between innings.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I read that yesterday. It was a very good article. If Phoenix doesn't pony-up money for upgrades in Maryvale, the Brewers only hope here might be the Gila River or Salt River tribes. One other issue is that most teams and cities only want double-tenants going forward. They would have to take another team from Florida to make that happen. I've talked to a few scouts that I've built a relationship with over the last few years, and they believe the Florida threat is just posturing and there's very little chance of them moving to FL. Mark Attanasio, the owner, splits time between Milwaukee and Los Angeles. As an east valley Brewers fan, I'd love to see a return to Chandler or the surrounding area.
Florida is in the same/similar situation as Arizona, the state doesn't have the money to spend on new spring training facilities and very few cities are willing to build these new facilities and pay for them. The newest one currently under construction is the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches, which will house both the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals. Also the Braves are looking to get out of Orlando and the Walt Disney World Complex, with a possible move to either Florida coast:

Braves eye Palm Beach again in search for new spring home

Braves look for new spring training home

Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Speaking of the scouts, that was an aspect of the game I enjoyed. I was seated in Row J behind home place and was surround by scouts (Astros, Cubs, White Sox, Giants, Marlins & Indians and many others) all sitting there clocking the speed of every pitch. They also appeared to be scoring the game but not in the traditional sense. I wanted to start up a conversation and get a grasp of what they were actually doing but didn't want to interfere. If the opportunity arises, I'll make the effort to engage in conversation between innings.
Most are very approachable and willing to talk.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM

If anybody wants to vote on their favorite Cactus League ballpark, ballparkdigest.com is holding a tournament style bracket feature all 10 ballparks.

They usually have a new vote every couple of days or so for each new round after they compile the results from the previous round:

Best of the Ballparks: Cactus League, Round One

I would imagine Sloan is going to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area