Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,627,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I moved here last year. There are pros and cons of Phoenix. I am certainly moving in the next few months but have noticed one thing about Phoenix and Las Vegas.

I have worked in several call-centers in this city and I think I am the only one that does't have kids. Pretty much all employees I have talked with have kids and many have 3 to 5 kids each. Many of them talk over breaks about how they have children in CPS custody.

I worked in a call-center with 100 employees and it seemed at one point last summer dozens of women were mom's to be.

When ever I am in a lower-income area of the Valley pretty much every family has kids and many times its 3 to 5 children in tow. The only way to be around a demographic with no kids is to go to Tempe or Scottsdale.

Las Vegas was similar where every single poor non-elderly person in the city seems to have kids either with them or with Child Protective services.

I worked in call-centers in Utah and Colorado where it seemed like far, far fewer of the lower socioeconomic people had children. I also lived in Florida for a few months and the poor areas of Tampa tend to be mainly middle-aged or senior citizens down on their luck.
Unhappy, judgemental, hit-and-run posters such as yourself we will always have with us.

Please understand that wherever you move to there will always be "poor people". NEWSFLASH: you have to take yourself with you wherever you go.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:12 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,895,624 times
I've told this story before. In the 60's I was a loan manager and had a customer who had personal loans with us. He always paid on time, and one day he came in to renew his loan and get some cash. As I went through the application process, getting updated info, I came to the part where I asked him if he still had the same job and income. He said "No, I am quitting my job !"

I asked him how he expected to get a loan and pay it back if he didn't have a job, and he said "I need this loan to get married, and she has 8 kids. Do you know how much money she makes a month for 8 kids ? " He said he didn't NEED to work any more.

I called my District Manager to run the loan by him and he said, "Make him the loan, that is the most secure income you can have !"

Some country, huh ?

Don

Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 AM

7,208 posts, read 9,278,742 times
Think of it as evolution in action.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,963,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Condoms are free at Planned Parenthood. That's a BS excuse. It's due to pure laziness. Possibly the reason they are poor in the first place.
Birth control pills are free now to and Plan B contraceptive if you fail to plan ahead with the first two. I don't understand why unplanned pregnancy is still a thing. All boils down to bad life decisions, which is why they are in the situation they are.

You can replace the thread title with "Dont think I have ever met a lower-income person in INSERT YOUR CITY HERE without kids?" It's not related to geography.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:14 AM

849 posts, read 971,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I don't understand why unplanned pregnancy is still a thing. All boils down to bad life decisions, which is why they are in the situation they are.
I grew up poor with nothing but poor family and mostly poor friends. Just started climbing out of that hole and into middle class land a couple of years ago (went from retail, to software development!). So, I know these types of people very well. For the ones I've personally known, it's a number of things, in no particular order:

1. Sex is rarely planned. It's always spur of the moment.
  2. So sure, they could get it ahead of time so that it's ready for that spur of the moment, but most are honestly too lazy to seek out those birth control solutions (rubbers, pills, etc).
  3. On the guy side, most are too macho to bother with stuff like that.
  4. It feels too good raw. This goes for both genders.
  5. If one woman insists on rubbers, they move on to someone who won't (they may stick around for a session or two with rubbers, but they're hitting the highway after that).
  6. A fair number don't know that these things can be had for free, and even if they do, they don't know where to get them. Again, even if they do, there may be pride or paperwork involved that they don't want to bother with.

Basically, they just don't care and can't be bothered with the effort. Like I said, these are for the people I've known personally throughout my life.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,172,793 times
"Idiocracy"...watch it...accept it.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,302,081 times
Why all the hatred toward the OP's comments? The thread doesn't appear to be so much a slam against poor people as much as it is critical of lower income people who have kids when they can't afford it. I can tell you this: those who are not very well off would not be breeding if all these government freebies were taken as way (as they should be).

You can bet that in addition to their paltry incomes, they are getting extra support from either the state or Uncle Sam via our tax dollars just for being irresponsible baby machines! That seems to be just fine with some of you, but I'm fed up with it. The only thing I'll add is it's not only a Phoenix issue ... it's an ongoing problem nationwide. The excuses about lower income people not being able to afford contraception are completely bogus, by the way.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,400,474 times
If you are getting more money from the IRS than you paid into the IRS then you took some of my money.

LOL

I get that poor people like sex. Most of the people I know, rich to poor seem to like it. I get that many of these people may not be equipped to take care of the kids that they produce. Not sure if it is a lack of knowledge or they just do not care. I do know this. My sister is not able to have kids. Because some poor lady keeps popping them out my sister has been able to take care of two of this womans 8 kids. She has been able to adopt one of them that she has had for 3 years now. Another one she is about to adopt. Her husband and her could not be happier. They have even invited the "mom" to be there for birthday parties or other events. Not that she always comes to the home or where ever they are at. The "mom" seems indifferent or does not seem to care much. My sister and her husband live in a beautiful home in Peoria. The kids consider them as their parents. My sister and her husband started out as foster parents. Kind of a heartbraking system that they joined. Many times these kids end up back with the blood parents who are still not equiped to take care of them. Sad if you ask me.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM

39 posts, read 38,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
They start young in certain sectors here. 16 year old single moms are somewhat common site at places such as Arizona Mills sadly.

Arizona Teen Pregnancy Rates Decline | Phoenix New Times

my 2 cents

Old 03-09-2016, 04:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,248,629 times
I work in Human Resources and it always amazes me when I'm entering dependents into our benefit system how many kids have different last names.

I had one the other day who is a single mother with 6 kids and not one of them has the same last name. None of them had the mothers last name either. I just shake my head.

She doesn't need to get our medical insurance because they are covered by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area