Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:38 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I don't really understand the ASU idea. Even the elite college teams in the Northeast don't play in NHL size arenas (or anything even close). That place will be an empty and depressing ghost town for the Sun Devil games. Frankly, ASU hockey is a stupid idea from the start with literally no regional competition or even any compelling reason for the team to exist at all.

Put the Coyotes downtown, on the light rail, in an arena that they have to pay for without taxpayer money. And then cross your fingers and hope for the best.
You got that right! It would look awful.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:36 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,715,266 times
Depressing how we always seem to be launching new sports-related plans, but nothing more cultural.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:42 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Quote:
Put the Coyotes downtown, on the light rail, in an arena that they have to pay for without taxpayer money.
Unfortunately, your specifications are not unlike like what any contractor will tell you about getting work done either Fast, Inexpensive or with Quality: Choose two.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:37 PM

770 posts, read 838,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If they put it between Packard and Rural, where Packard Baseball Stadium is currently, it would be what 1200ft from the Tempe Transit Center, which I don't consider a huge amount to walk to/from, sure it's not right outside the proposed arena. And like you mentioned you could take the future street car to the light rail, but it would probably be quicker to just walk up and around Sun Devil Stadium.
That wouldn't be bad but I though the planned site is the SE corner where the golf course is and the bubble dome. That area isn't on the light rail and it's still a hike to get there from the Tempe Transit Center.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 AM

975 posts, read 1,405,717 times
It's not a horrible hike from there to the Rural / University light rail station though.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 AM

233 posts, read 258,223 times
I would imagine if this ended up at ASU that the basketball teams would also use it and put Wells Fargo Arena out of its misery. Also concert revenue for ASU, depending on what kind of lease is in place.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
It's not a horrible hike from there to the Rural / University light rail station though.
Not at all. The Tempe Transit Center is right next to Sun Devil Stadium atheletics office. I've made the walk from Sun Devil Stadium to the Kajikawa football practice facility easily 100 times and it's easy. The team takes a tram though.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAZ View Post
I would imagine if this ended up at ASU that the basketball teams would also use it and put Wells Fargo Arena out of its misery. Also concert revenue for ASU, depending on what kind of lease is in place.
I think that would be the plan, have the basketball teams play there. It would be a similar setup that the NC State Wolfpack have with the Carolina Hurricanes at PNC Arena in Raleigh. I would imagine they would tear down Wells Fargo Arena, or use it for sports like gymnastics, wrestling and women's volleyball.

I guess a new Tempe arena, could host the Coyotes, ASU men's basketball, women's basketball, ice hockey, gymnastics, wrestling and women's volleyball. Just curtain off the upperdeck to make the arena smaller for the teams that don't draw huge crowds. That's a lot different teams using the arena, which I guess is good, the logistics/scheduling would be crazy!

Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Put the Coyotes downtown, on the light rail, in an arena that they have to pay for without taxpayer money. And then cross your fingers and hope for the best.
I completely agree, but it's wishful thinking at this point. The Coyotes belong in their own arena downtown, or at least in a shared venue. Either way, the cost of building the arena should fall on the team itself, or better yet, the NHL ... not the taxpayers! Also, as I've stated many times before, sports & entertainment centers need to have infrastructure already in place.

We've seen how the team being in Glendale has turned out to be a huge boondoggle, and the main reason is the LOCATION. Putting a venue on reservation land is about as stupid as putting it on cotton fields in the west Valley. It needs to go in a walkable, urban location where there are already bars, restaurants, and transit options existing ... so this is why downtown is the best spot, followed by the Tempe location.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I completely agree, but it's wishful thinking at this point. The Coyotes belong in their own arena downtown, or at least in a shared venue. Either way, the cost of building the arena should fall on the team itself, or better yet, the NHL ... not the taxpayers! Also, as I've stated many times before, sports & entertainment centers need to have infrastructure already in place.

We've seen how the team being in Glendale has turned out to be a huge boondoggle, and the main reason is the LOCATION. Putting a venue on reservation land is about as stupid as putting it on cotton fields in the west Valley. It needs to go in a walkable, urban location where there are already bars, restaurants, and transit options existing ... so this is why downtown is the best spot, followed by the Tempe location.
Agreed. While ASU is a good central urban location, the reservation would be a poor choice. Riverview in Mesa would be a more central and urban location than the reservation, however, I am not sure if the City of Mesa would be willing to fund a new arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area