Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:57 PM

390 posts, read 598,268 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they're thinking about building on vacant lot in Tempe at the southeast corner of Washington and Priest, where the Cardinals were supposed to go.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:18 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,381,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I wonder if they're thinking about building on vacant lot in Tempe at the southeast corner of Washington and Priest, where the Cardinals were supposed to go.
If they build in Tempe in partnership with ASU, it will be on campus, most likely somewhere near Rural and Rio Salado. They will save some good money, building it on land already owned by the University.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:45 PM

772 posts, read 841,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
No there is already a projected being built there they arena will go where the white bubble dome and the golf course is at Rio & Rural. Which is a hike from the Tempe Transit Center.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,334,222 times
I have a feeling it will be in Scottsdale. The owners and players live in Scottsdale. They would love to be able to live and practice 10 minutes from their stadium.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:41 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,306,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I have a feeling it will be in Scottsdale. The owners and players live in Scottsdale. They would love to be able to live and practice 10 minutes from their stadium.
If they decide on Scottsdale, then it technically won't be "in" Scottsdale ... it will be on reservation land, which is about as much of an idiotic location as Westgate. No established infrastructure, limited road access, and very limited transit options. If they had any brains at all, they would put the venue in downtown Phoenix. It definitely doesn't need to go on tribal land!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:05 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,490,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If they decide on Scottsdale, then it technically won't be "in" Scottsdale ... it will be on reservation land, which is about as much of an idiotic location as Westgate. No established infrastructure, limited road access, and very limited transit options. If they had any brains at all, they would put the venue in downtown Phoenix. It definitely doesn't need to go on tribal land!
At least on tribal land, the taxpayer would largely/completely be off the hook. Let them have it/build it I say based on this factor alone.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:22 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,306,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
At least on tribal land, the taxpayer would largely/completely be off the hook. Let them have it/build it I say based on this factor alone.
Actually, taxpayer money would still have to be used to develop the infrastructure. On the other hand, if the venue was located downtown, or any other established/centralized area, at least the infrastructure would already be in place. Taxpayers would still likely have to fund the cost of the arena, which is ridiculous because it should be built with private capital regardless of the location. Glendale is probably one of the best examples of why tax money shouldn't be involved in sports. Not only was public money used to build the arena, Glendale is obligated to pay $15 million per year just to keep the Coyotes there, and the city is deep in the red. It's been a huge boondoggle, which is one of the main reasons the team is looking for a different location.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,490,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Actually, taxpayer money would still have to be used to develop the infrastructure. On the other hand, if the venue was located downtown, or any other established/centralized area, at least the infrastructure would already be in place. Taxpayers would still likely have to fund the cost of the arena, which is ridiculous because it should be built with private capital regardless of the location. Glendale is probably one of the best examples of why tax money shouldn't be involved in sports. Not only was public money used to build the arena, Glendale is obligated to pay $15 million per year just to keep the Coyotes there, and the city is deep in the red. It's been a huge boondoggle, which is one of the main reasons the team is looking for a different location.
Right, that's why I mentioned "largely" or "completely" off the hook. Completely is wishful thinking by me but the infrastructure would be a heck of a lot less expensive than using tax payer dollars to build the stadium off tribal land with existing infrastructure in place/largely in place. If the city/state was smart, they'd also get some money from the tribe to build out the infrastructure. Certainly a good deal of the infrastructure would be on tribal land and that's tribal $ responsibility in my book.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,372,524 times
Does anyone really even WANT the team other than downtown and perhaps the SRPMIC? Based on that I'd say ideally they would go in on a privately funded project with the Suns...who for some reason want a new arena (even though I was there twice this winter and think the arena is still very nice and should hold up for another decade or two).

I definitely don't want the arena anywhere it uses tax dollars, though...Glendale's fiasco should've taught everyone a lesson. It's amazing to me that they have a new, purpose-built arena (in Glendale) and BOTH the team and the city want the arena to no longer house the hockey team. Talk about an all-around failure.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 PM

975 posts, read 1,408,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Does anyone really even WANT the team other than downtown and perhaps the SRPMIC? Based on that I'd say ideally they would go in on a privately funded project with the Suns...who for some reason want a new arena (even though I was there twice this winter and think the arena is still very nice and should hold up for another decade or two).

I definitely don't want the arena anywhere it uses tax dollars, though...Glendale's fiasco should've taught everyone a lesson. It's amazing to me that they have a new, purpose-built arena (in Glendale) and BOTH the team and the city want the arena to no longer house the hockey team. Talk about an all-around failure.
Professional sports teams / leagues generally want new arenas every 25 years or so. As the Suns arena opened in 1992, we're approaching that 25 year mark. I agree that there's nothing particularly wrong with the arena, but generally the goal with new arenas is to have more clubs, club seating, luxury boxes, dining choices which can be difficult to retrofit into an older design. Milwaukee and Sacramento are currently constructing replacement arenas to replace facilities which opened in 1988 and Charlotte and Miami have already replaced / demolished their previous NBA arenas which also opened in 1988 and Orlando replaced / demolished its NBA arena that opened in 1989.

In addition, going to a different league, the Atlanta Falcons are replacing the Georgia Dome with a new stadium. The Georgia Dome is the same age as the Talking Stick Resort Arena.

Going by these trends, around the time that a new Suns arena opens, the Diamondbacks will want a new ballpark, and around the time that new ballpark opens the Cardinals will want a new stadium, and the cycle will keep repeating itself.

The best scenario for the valley is for the Coyotes to relocate to another market/city. A new arena will help, but not solve, the team's attendance problems. Plus, if it is not co-located with the Suns it will add yet another venue to the 25 year replacement cycle.

Last edited by Ztonyg; 03-14-2016 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area