Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,362,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
whoa Tempe as the next Austin? 40 square miles vs. 260+ sq miles
200 of those miles is probably BFE

Old 07-06-2016, 05:09 PM

7,338 posts, read 12,437,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
The only legitimate drawback is the lack of public transportation options.
Agreed. Valley Metro should at least consider extending Route 48 east to Riverview in the short term, and in the long term the City of Mesa should get onboard with the Tempe Streetcar.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:49 PM

431 posts, read 99,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Agreed. Valley Metro should at least consider extending Route 48 east to Riverview in the short term, and in the long term the City of Mesa should get onboard with the Tempe Streetcar.
I agree with that. It will happens. You will see it.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I think this would make Riverview a more attractive option.

A Tempe/Mesa streetcar would be great.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 AM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Mesa is literally an embarrassment to the rest of the valley. At least Westgate is clean and inviting. And yes I know Riverview is trying to revitalize with shopping, Cubs stadium, blah blah blah. BUT IT IS STILL MESA. Known for the 3 M's...murder, Mormons, and meth. It's a bad joke. No thanks.
This is one the dumbest posts I've read on C-D.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:00 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Quote:
Riiiight, like they would put them in Maryvale. That makes sense. Makes as much sense as Glendale.

Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale...all bad ideas, IMO. (Unless we should move the Chicago Blackhawks to Schaumburg?) But, those that complain they changed the name to the Arizona Coyotes can't complain anymore. If they are in Tempe, they can't really be the Phoenix Coyotes, can they? Maybe the Tempe Coyotes?

That wasn't his point. His point was that city boundaries aren't critical to this issue- the team doesn't have to be in "Phoenix proper". If there aren't any options in "Phoenix proper" (and apparently there aren't) it's going to be in a suburb. And since it's "Arizona Coyotes", no further name change needed. With their farm team now in Tucson, the name makes sense, for the same reason that the Arizona Diamondbacks were called that from the beginning.

The entire city of Mesa an "embarrassment to the rest of the Valley"? That kind of overreach and exaggeration gets the credit it deserves. None.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That wasn't his point. His point was that city boundaries aren't critical to this issue- the team doesn't have to be in "Phoenix proper". If there aren't any options in "Phoenix proper" (and apparently there aren't) it's going to be in a suburb. And since it's "Arizona Coyotes", no further name change needed. With their farm team now in Tucson, the name makes sense, for the same reason that the Arizona Diamondbacks were called that from the beginning.

The entire city of Mesa an "embarrassment to the rest of the Valley"? That kind of overreach and exaggeration gets the credit it deserves. None.

Mesa IS an embarrassment to the rest of the valley, believe it or not. I know far east Mesa isn't bad, but the western side of the city more than makes up for it reputation wise. A friend who lives in east Mesa always has to say "I live in EAST Mesa" right up front as people make assumptions about Mesa as a whole based on the reputation it has. But of course, the rest of the city is no paradise, either, but that is anther topic.

Thanks for missing the point, as usual.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,362,160 times
Quote:
Mesa IS an embarrassment to the rest of the valley, believe it or not. I know far east Mesa isn't bad, but the western side of the city more than makes up for it reputation wise. A friend who lives in east Mesa always has to say "I live in EAST Mesa" right up front as people make assumptions about Mesa as a whole based on the reputation it has. But of course, the rest of the city is no paradise, either, but that is anther topic.

Thanks for missing the point, as usual.
West Mesa also has Banner Desert Hospital and Cardon's children's hospital (only the second kids hospital in the state), Mesa Community College (largest community college in the state and a major feeder school to ASU), Dobson Ranch and Fiesta Mall. The last 10 years hasn't been kind to this area but as Tempe continues to thrive, Mesa will do so as well.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
West Mesa also has Banner Desert Hospital and Cardon's children's hospital (only the second kids hospital in the state), Mesa Community College (largest community college in the state and a major feeder school to ASU), Dobson Ranch and Fiesta Mall. The last 10 years hasn't been kind to this area but as Tempe continues to thrive, Mesa will do so as well.

Mesa also has awesome stuff like this:

Mesa shooting: Ryan Giroux confirmed as suspect

Old 07-07-2016, 10:10 AM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
Quote:
Mesa is literally an embarrassment to the rest of the valley. At least Westgate is clean and inviting. And yes I know Riverview is trying to revitalize with shopping, Cubs stadium, blah blah blah. BUT IT IS STILL MESA. Known for the 3 M's...murder, Mormons, and meth. It's a bad joke. No thanks.
How is that this bigoted comment about Mormons is still standing? If Mesa was known for having a large Muslim community and said community was used as a pejorative as one of "the 3 M's", I suspect it would have been snuffed out fast.

Such comments are not relevant about a hockey arena in Mesa or anywhere else. Also, said comments are not appropriate of a C-D moderator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area