Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,002,484 times

Advertisements

I think a bigger factor than economy or income is simply the land area that is left to be developed. Chandler is very rapidly approaching build-out - there are only a handful of larger undeveloped properties remaining. Thus, land is at a premium, driving up real estate prices at all spectrums of the market. Projects in Chandler are also starting to become more dense and urban - a sign that land is at a premium.

Gilbert, on the other hand, though inching closer and closer to build out, still has a lot more development potential than Chandler. Large chunks of land are easier to come by.

These are not the only factors, but I think they definitely play a part in real estate values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Just because Gilbert's average income may be higher, it doesn't mean that Gilbert is in any way more affluent. Chandler is simply more diverse. Gilbert has more negatives in terms of location, Mormon concentration/government, ridiculous school board, cookie cutter houses (for the most part).
Gilbert is pretty much bland suburbia all the way around, and nothing really happening there as far as high paying jobs, or fun places to go. Most Gilbert residents commute to Phoenix or other Valley cities for work. And while other suburbs have established themselves as their own unique cities (specifically Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, and Mesa), Gilbert is still satisfied to be just a bedroom community, and to call itself a "town", despite having a population of well over 200,000.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:45 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Gilbert is pretty much bland suburbia all the way around, and nothing really happening there as far as high paying jobs, or fun places to go. Most Gilbert residents commute to Phoenix or other Valley cities for work. And while other suburbs have established themselves as their own unique cities (specifically Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, and Mesa), Gilbert is still satisfied to be just a bedroom community, and to call itself a "town", despite having a population of well over 200,000.
100% inaccurate

Gilbert ranks #1 for median income in the US Gilbert ranked No. 1 in U.S. for median income

While not as strong as Chandler for high paying jobs, Gilbert is attracting them at the same pace. Isagenix just opened up their world headquarters. The entire Rivulon is being developed into a hub for 6 figure jobs. Several big companies have been there for a while, Azmark Aerospace, GoDaddy (one of the original offices)

Entertainment wise Downtown Gilbert has exploded and is now one of the hottest restaurant locations in the valley, far above neighboring Mesa and Chandler. There are more people in Downtown Gilbert now on weekends then there are on Mill Avenue in Tempe. The San Tan Mall area is growing like crazy as well.

If you think Gilbert is "bland suburbia" you don't know what you are talking about and you need to come and visit next weekend.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
100% inaccurate

Gilbert ranks #1 for median income in the US Gilbert ranked No. 1 in U.S. for median income

While not as strong as Chandler for high paying jobs, Gilbert is attracting them at the same pace. Isagenix just opened up their world headquarters. The entire Rivulon is being developed into a hub for 6 figure jobs. Several big companies have been there for a while, Azmark Aerospace, GoDaddy (one of the original offices)

Entertainment wise Downtown Gilbert has exploded and is now one of the hottest restaurant locations in the valley, far above neighboring Mesa and Chandler. There are more people in Downtown Gilbert now on weekends then there are on Mill Avenue in Tempe. The San Tan Mall area is growing like crazy as well.

If you think Gilbert is "bland suburbia" you don't know what you are talking about and you need to come and visit next weekend.
I 100% disagree with the bold, but Gilbert is doing a lot to attract employment, and that is not even counting the healthcare field which has grown there. Downtown Gilbert is doing well with dining, but it by no means has more choice than Chandler. Mesa I am unsure of as I don't hang out there. There are far more people on Mill Ave on weekends than both DT Chandler and Gilbert combined.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I 100% disagree with the bold, but Gilbert is doing a lot to attract employment, and that is not even counting the healthcare field which has grown there. Downtown Gilbert is doing well with dining, but it by no means has more choice than Chandler. Mesa I am unsure of as I don't hang out there. There are far more people on Mill Ave on weekends than both DT Chandler and Gilbert combined.
I haven't been down to Mill in about a year, but take a trip to downtown Gilbert on a Friday or Saturday Night. It definately feels a lot busier than what Mill has been. Most people avoid even going down Gilbert Road anymore because of the traffic backups in the evening. It's not one taking away from the other as Mill is a completely different crowd with different peak times. Most of the latest and greatest in Tempe has happened in other areas away from Mill. Even Tempe Marketplace is busier then Mill Ave now.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I haven't been down to Mill in about a year, but take a trip to downtown Gilbert on a Friday or Saturday Night. It definately feels a lot busier than what Mill has been. Most people avoid even going down Gilbert Road anymore because of the traffic backups in the evening. It's not one taking away from the other as Mill is a completely different crowd with different peak times. Most of the latest and greatest in Tempe has happened in other areas away from Mill. Even Tempe Marketplace is busier then Mill Ave now.
I have always avoided Gilbert downtown due to the traffic, mostly because they lower the speed limit and there's lots of stoplights so it has always been a problem. I have been to DT Gilbert recently, and it certainly has a lot of activity, but I have also been to DT Tempe recently and it has far more activity for far longer (the sidewalks seem to roll up at 10 PM in DT Gilbert). I occasionally visit the restaurants in Gilbert, but it is still playing catch-up with Chandler in that arena, especially when it comes to certain types of food.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:00 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,364,611 times
Quote:
I have always avoided Gilbert downtown due to the traffic, mostly because they lower the speed limit and there's lots of stoplights so it has always been a problem. I have been to DT Gilbert recently, and it certainly has a lot of activity, but I have also been to DT Tempe recently and it has far more activity for far longer (the sidewalks seem to roll up at 10 PM in DT Gilbert). I occasionally visit the restaurants in Gilbert, but it is still playing catch-up with Chandler in that arena, especially when it comes to certain types of food.
What I don't understand is why Downtown Gilbert has a 25 mph speed limit on Gilbert Road, while the more densely urban Downtown Chandler has a 35 mph speed limit on Arizona Avenue.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
What I don't understand is why Downtown Gilbert has a 25 mph speed limit on Gilbert Road, while the more densely urban Downtown Chandler has a 35 mph speed limit on Arizona Avenue.
It keeps me up at night.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:29 PM

In somewhat related news, La Bocca and Modern Margarita have announced expansion into DT Chandler. Not sure if I'll like Modern Margarita but La Bocca is very good.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
I actually drove through Gilbert on Christmas Day when I was in the area, and downtown looked like a 1960s version of Old Town Scottsdale ... rather quaint, but very small, and not very impressive overall. Plenty of vacant lots that are practically screaming to be developed. Don't get me wrong: Gilbert is a very nice suburb, but it's still made up mostly of cookie cutter developments, which is bland to some of us. Compared to other east Valley suburbs like Tempe and Scottsdale, Gilbert is pretty low key.

Quote:
I have been to DT Gilbert recently, and it certainly has a lot of activity, but I have also been to DT Tempe recently and it has far more activity for far longer (the sidewalks seem to roll up at 10 PM in DT Gilbert).
Very much so. Downtown Tempe is thriving with activity, especially on Friday nights & the weekends. It has one of the densest urban cores in the entire metro area. Scottsdale has a different kind of downtown area: not as dense as Tempe, but famous for its upscale shopping, dining, and nightlife. Comparing either one to the small townish nature of Gilbert is absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area