U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM

6,549 posts, read 9,982,040 times

Advertisements

Professionals, such as dentists, usually like to hang out with like kind. There are some absolutely gorgeous hi end homes in Ahwatukee, within the Kyrene school district, best in the state. I love going there and seeing how the other half lives. The other absolutely beautiful place I love is Fountain Hills, but the schools aren't that great there. You may want to look into charter schools, since you must know we, in AZ, aren't too hip when it comes to education !!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM

149 posts, read 493,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
The other absolutely beautiful place I love is Fountain Hills, but the schools aren't that great there.
Not sure where you got that information from. All schools under Fountain Hills Unified District are rated "excelling" for the second year in a row. See AZ LEARNS Achievement Profiles (http://www.ade.az.gov/profile/publicview/Excelling.asp - broken link).

Last edited by SpaceNeedle; 02-11-2008 at 08:38 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 PM

41,129 posts, read 51,832,238 times
According to CBS-5 TV news this evening, there are over 95,000 homes listed on the market in Maricopa County today.
Anyone contemplating a move here has a huge selection of homes to choose from in any price range and any location.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 AM

225 posts, read 909,754 times
It depends on what you want: In general, it comes down to 2 broad categories

(A) Live Far Away in some outreach (Surprise, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, North Scottsdale, Gilbert, Arrowhead Ranch, Goodyear) that is beautiful in which you have a lot of space, nice views, less crime (due to these areas being new) and nicer home builds(new)

(B) Live near the Central Valley (Tempe, Chandler, Ahwautukee, Mid and South Scottsdale, Phoenix) and be close to the city and enjoy it's ammenities(restaurants, shopping, theatre, Suns/Diamondback games, ASU etc) but deal with older homes, increased crime, less views, less space.

The arguments start when A's argue with B's. Neither is better. They each offer their own positives. And people choose to live in A or B according to what fits their personality. You have to determine which criteria really identifies your personality and what means more to you. There is no perfect city and there are aspects about the "A" cities that I prefer but being near the city means more to me personally. My family chose B because we didn't want to live far from the city and wanted to enjoy going out. The problem is we have friends who live in Suprise and own 8000 sq foot homes for the same price we paid for ours have and have these gorgeous views and space. At the same time, those friends never go out because downtown and the central valley is about an hour away for them on the weekdays. They will occasionally go out once on the weekends and their trip time might be 45 minutes but that's still far in regards to distance whereas my family and I can get to downtown in 15 minutes. People can say whatever they want but the truth is you are less likely to go somewhere the further away you live. For many people, they prefer living far from the central valley and its problems like the crime, pollution and traffic.

There is no right answer. I know people in Phoenix who are building homes in Cave Creek and can't wait to move there despite knowing they will be an hour away. Also, I know people moving from places like Arrowhead Ranch and Peoria to Tempe just so they can be closer to the city.

Last edited by sweettearose; 02-12-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM

2,039 posts, read 5,910,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowns05 View Post
My wife and I are dentists and are thinking of moving to Phoenix. What towns are the best to move to now? best schools?safest?most to do?growing?economy?any help be appreciated.
Gee, let's see...... two dentists...................

SCOTTSDALE! Duh!

Kidding, it depends on if you are thinking of opening up your own office or working at an established one. Kinda depends on where you are going to work since it can take up to an hour to get to wrok because Phoenix is so spread out.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 AM

61 posts, read 186,399 times
Default best area in Phoenix

I would say Gilbert. I lived in Scottsdale when i first moved to the phoenix area and soon found Gilbert and fell in love. Most everything here is brand new. The streets are landscaped. A great family oriented town that has all the amenities one could ask for with a small town feel. I see dentist offices all over. Ive heard great horrible things about phoenix schools but only good things about the gilbert area schools. My kids are not in school yet so i can only tell you what i heard. Look up the schools website by searching gilbert az k-12 you should get all the info you need. Definitely check out the town of gilbert website. Its a quant community full of uptown stores with a home town feel. There are horses and farms here too that make it have a special feel....sometimes a special smell too but only early in the morning = )

Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
hts

712 posts, read 1,869,578 times
Just out of curiosity, are you married with children at home, and how often do you go out, and where do you go out? The reason I ask is that we're clearly in 'A' as in Anthem, and we chose it for many of the reasons you state below (although we don't own anywhere close to 8k sq ft), and this works well for us because we rarely go out just the two of us, and when we go out with the family on the weekends, it could be a museum, ball game, etc., but I doubt that we'll have any need to travel into the city proper (downtown) more than once (possibly twice) a week tops. And that's probably pushing it. If we attend 4-6 ball games a year, go to the zoo/museums another 4-6 times a year, maybe see 1-2 plays/theaters...

In any event, as you suggested, no right, no wrong. For us, living out in the boonies was a good thing, but we're all very different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
It depends on what you want: In general, it comes down to 2 broad categories

(A) Live Far Away in some outreach (Surprise, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, North Scottsdale, Gilbert, Arrowhead Ranch, Goodyear) that is beautiful in which you have a lot of space, nice views, less crime (due to these areas being new) and nicer home builds(new)

(B) Live near the Central Valley (Tempe, Chandler, Ahwautukee, Mid and South Scottsdale, Phoenix) and be close to the city and enjoy it's ammenities(restaurants, shopping, theatre, Suns/Diamondback games, ASU etc) but deal with older homes, increased crime, less views, less space.

The arguments start when A's argue with B's. Neither is better. They each offer their own positives. And people choose to live in A or B according to what fits their personality. You have to determine which criteria really identifies your personality and what means more to you. There is no perfect city and there are aspects about the "A" cities that I prefer but being near the city means more to me personally. My family chose B because we didn't want to live far from the city and wanted to enjoy going out. The problem is we have friends who live in Suprise and own 8000 sq foot homes for the same price we paid for ours have and have these gorgeous views and space. At the same time, those friends never go out because downtown and the central valley is about an hour away for them on the weekdays. They will occasionally go out once on the weekends and their trip time might be 45 minutes but that's still far in regards to distance whereas my family and I can get to downtown in 15 minutes. People can say whatever they want but the truth is you are less likely to go somewhere the further away you live. For many people, they prefer living far from the central valley and its problems like the crime, pollution and traffic.

There is no right answer. I know people in Phoenix who are building homes in Cave Creek and can't wait to move there despite knowing they will be an hour away. Also, I know people moving from places like Arrowhead Ranch and Peoria to Tempe just so they can be closer to the city.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM

599 posts, read 2,134,724 times
Sweettearose, good post! I agree with you.

I just want to kindly provide some clarification and additional info for people who are relocating to Phoenix.

Here are maps showing the distances from downtown as well as the boundaries of the cities in the Phoenix area:
Distances from Downtown Map
Phoenix Map - Map of Phoenix Arizona With Distances From Downtown
Phoenix and Surrounding Cities Boundaries Map
About.com: http://www.annmorgan.com/phoenix_map.htm

It's important to be aware that we, the Phoenix info helpers, often make generalizations about entire cities. This includes me too. More often than not, our generalizations are not fully true for the whole city regardless if we're talking about crime, schools, distances, etc. Please know we are all genuinely trying to help; it's just easier for us to talk about entire cities.

Here are a few examples of distances from downtown Phoenix:
~ The majority of Scottsdale is just as far as Surprise is from downtown Phoenix. In fact, some of Scottsdale is further than Surprise is. El Mirage is even closer than Surprise.
~ Since Peoria is a narrow city that begins at the southern end just north of the I-10 between Glendale and Sun City, there are places that are closer to downtown Phoenix than Mesa and Chandler. And, Gilbert is further than Mesa and Chandler.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 PM

421 posts, read 2,963,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Do you like a desert look, or would you prefer an irrigated neighborhood with grass, citrus, trees, etc.?
Where? where? where is/are the irrigated neighborgood(s) please ???

Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,543,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Where? where? where is/are the irrigated neighborgood(s) please ???
Val Vista Lakes Val Vista Lakes - Your Community for one, is an area where no desert landscape is allowed, so there is green grass all over, and many, many citrus trees. My neighbor has two wonderful orange trees and a lemon tree.

In this area you have no feeling of being in the middle of the desert at all. I think that's what the poster was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area