Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:30 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,124,754 times

Advertisements

The last company I was with tossed me out in September after three years with them. I was about to transfer within the company to a rock/mineral hauling position in the Phoenix area. But because of the firing, I'm pretty much having to look towards other outfits down there that stay strictly within the area.
The milk hauling company I'm currently with has me doing local/daycab runs in the area I'm currently living, but all of their other terminals are strictly long-haul/over-the-road/out-for-months.

Right now, I'm looking at relocating down to the Phoenix area for a number of reasons. The main two being the city's proximity to other recreational activities(ie,. eastern NM/west TX has you wasting an entire day, or more to drive the endless expanse between here and where all the worthwhile activities are), and of course the weather(yeah, winters do exist down there, but not as bad as the roads icing up and sending an 80,000 lb vehicle careening into the shoulder the minute it goes above 10 mph.).
All of the above may have sounded a bit ranty, but I feel as though my expiration date for this area has long passed. I'm making a decent enough living, but even that isn't keeping me from being shut-in for the rest of the time I'm not at work or getting a couple of classes attempted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 4,456 times
I asked a similar question a few months ago and did not receive many responses.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,445,513 times
There are hundreds of driving positions in Phoenix area. But.... when you run of an icy road at 10 MPH, that is pretty bad.....

Old 03-12-2016, 06:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,956,206 times
I worked for O'Reilly Auto Parts for a few years -- while the store driver positions are lower pay (not CDL-type jobs), the warehouse drivers make nightly runs to different stores, as well as runs between the different district warehouses. Any other parts store will have similar positions.

Amazon has a few large warehouses in the area, I'm sure there's some CDL jobs through them. There's also delivery companies like UPS / FedEx. As corydon said, loads of driving jobs in Phoenix. But in the winter time, you still run the risk of ice if your drops take you north.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:27 AM

445 posts, read 518,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
The last company I was with tossed me out in September after three years with them. I was about to transfer within the company to a rock/mineral hauling position in the Phoenix area. But because of the firing, I'm pretty much having to look towards other outfits down there that stay strictly within the area.
The milk hauling company I'm currently with has me doing local/daycab runs in the area I'm currently living, but all of their other terminals are strictly long-haul/over-the-road/out-for-months.

Right now, I'm looking at relocating down to the Phoenix area for a number of reasons. The main two being the city's proximity to other recreational activities(ie,. eastern NM/west TX has you wasting an entire day, or more to drive the endless expanse between here and where all the worthwhile activities are), and of course the weather(yeah, winters do exist down there, but not as bad as the roads icing up and sending an 80,000 lb vehicle careening into the shoulder the minute it goes above 10 mph.).
All of the above may have sounded a bit ranty, but I feel as though my expiration date for this area has long passed. I'm making a decent enough living, but even that isn't keeping me from being shut-in for the rest of the time I'm not at work or getting a couple of classes attempted.
Without getting into specifics, was your termination at your last company was due to something driving-related (i.e. something that would show up on your MVR) or was it for something else? If it's the former, you might have a tough time in Phoenix due to all the competition. But as long as your MVR is clean, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding local work. Pretty much every LTL company has a terminal here with city fleets, plus the usual FedEx / UPS / etc. Also, lots of food service companies here that have large local and regional fleets like US Foods, Sysco, etc that use anything from straight trucks and pup trailers all the way up to 53' tractor trailers.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
Without getting into specifics, was your termination at your last company was due to something driving-related (i.e. something that would show up on your MVR) or was it for something else? If it's the former, you might have a tough time in Phoenix due to all the competition. But as long as your MVR is clean, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding local work. Pretty much every LTL company has a terminal here with city fleets, plus the usual FedEx / UPS / etc. Also, lots of food service companies here that have large local and regional fleets like US Foods, Sysco, etc that use anything from straight trucks and pup trailers all the way up to 53' tractor trailers.
It was a non-driving related, minuscule thing, and I eventually found work with another company hauling milk a few weeks later. Long story short, a new terminal manager came on board and started enforcing new policies without telling anyone squat. So I don't see any real problem with the MVR/PSP report negatively affecting anything. Not quite sure about FedEx or UPS since they seem to promote drivers from the ranks of the warehouse people(if you could even get onto that).
But the food service thing still seems pretty tempting. If I could get the right schedule needed in order to get in a couple of college classes in each week, then it would be worth a shot. I just need to find some time to be able to travel down for an interview on time if I do apply and get called.
It's a ten hour drive at the very least from here in Clovis NM to the Phoenix area.

As for the slipping on ice after going over 20 mph, I never slipped. But taking 10-11 hours just to get 200 miles and then having to stay the night tends to get old really quick. It's no wonder the pay seems to be artificially high for the high-plains and any other cold-stricken areas. The weather conditions either get people fired, or send them packing back to wherever they originally came from.

The other thing I'm still looking at doing is just banking away checks like I'm doing right now and then just flat out moving to the area to establish residence. Then just cross fingers, send out applications, and try to get on with a local outfit before the savings run dry.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I worked for O'Reilly Auto Parts for a few years -- while the store driver positions are lower pay (not CDL-type jobs), the warehouse drivers make nightly runs to different stores, as well as runs between the different district warehouses. Any other parts store will have similar positions.

Amazon has a few large warehouses in the area, I'm sure there's some CDL jobs through them. There's also delivery companies like UPS / FedEx. As corydon said, loads of driving jobs in Phoenix. But in the winter time, you still run the risk of ice if your drops take you north.
Well aware of the icyness of the Flagstaff area. But even that pales in comparison to how bad some of the roads in West TX get with a combination of wind and ice.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,100,053 times
Try Clean Harbors. They do hazmat, pay well and have both local and OTR.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:03 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,445,513 times
According to me, companies don't give a ratts ass about your driving record. All they need is somebody with a pulse behind the wheel......
especially in AZ where the roads are dry and flat....

Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 AM

157 posts, read 454,581 times
I deliver for Amazon. They use local courier companies as 3rd party contractors. Intelliquick and First Delivery are two of them. The pay is okay if you really need a job. Also, if you have bad knees or joints, forget it. You need to be able to at least walk up/down stairs all day and step in/out of a van constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: